cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISAPPEARING DATA for over 2 yrs! HUGE PROBLEM!

Associate Professor

Re: DISAPPEARING DATA for over 2 yrs! HUGE PROBLEM!

Hello, I'm back, lol! This may be my last post for awhile. I'm not getting my other things done that should be priority. I am not a very good computer person nor do I care to be. I just want to figure out where the data is going. I have taken several pictures but unfortunately not screen shots. But I have figured out how to download my pictures onto computer so I can do that now, I also included the date and time on computer in my pics. I have looked up several ways to take screen shots with no luck up until a few min ago. But I still can't find out how to save more than one. I get the message when I hit save- do you want to replace picture, and I've tried changing its name and it tells me I can't. As I was looking up to see how to do screen shots, the site I clicked on said you're not connected. But I was as far as I knw. So far it looks like the status meter is using most of my data, Gee, I wonder why? I think I've  been looking at it too much. I also found a thing on my computer in settings-network &internet-data usage and it says data usage from past 30 days wifi-0,ethernet 21.91gb. Then if you click on app usage hughes status meter has the biggest amount used 75.5mb. I don't knw what that means or if it means anything. I don't know why that is so different than the hughes status meter. I unplugged hughes modem lan line and left it dangle. Data had been renewed. 1/26/16, 9:07 am 50gb, plugged hughes lan back in at 6:57pm, 15 mb used. I don't know if that's data loss or if that's what the hughes status meter used by turning on. I went on system control and there's 10 state codes listed since 1/25/15. I've downloaded glasswire but now I have to figure out what I'm looking at and I really do not have anymore time to waste trying to figure this out. I'm not a high tech kind of person and unfortunately nobody else that comes here is either. I can download my pics to my computer to show the 15mb data loss, but if that's normal I'm not going to bother. I looked into the email that I had sent from my cellphone on 1/4/16 and I think that just used my cellphone data. The major loss of my data was due to uploading. on 1/3/16 8:58pm I had 38.7gb daytime/48gb bonus, when I went to my computer on 1/6/16 1:06am I had 7.1gb daytime/35.6 bonus. From what I looked up what uploading means, is that is to send email with large attachments and things like uploading pictures to facebook. I don't do either. I's rare like I said that I even send an email with an attachment. I have online classes just since this summer, the problem with random data loss, loss of connection, slow even with data, has been going on for over 2 yrs. my classes do have videos and audios. I have a new hp computer windows 10, Microsoft edge, that was hooked up either 12/11/16 or 12/19/16. I have a netgear router bought in the fall, have had several brands prior, I have had the hughes modem replaced HT1100. when we first had hughes hooked up 11/2012' it worked great, never even used our 10gb package. I'm going to try and keep an eye on my data and hope that the loose radio receiver cable on the dish was the problem that just got tightened on fri.1/22/16. Take care everyone, hope this disappearing data problem gets figured out. I'm going to attempt to add a sceen shot to see if I can figure out how to do that.

That's the one I was saying it was telling me I wasn't connected, but the little computer icon wasn't showing it wasn't working.

The devices hooked to my computer are logitec speakers(had to order separate, I didn't know if you bought a computer that it doesn't come with speakers, couldn't figure out why my new computer didn't have sound, lol!), canon mx372 printer, has fax option but I do not have a fax hookup or provider? key board, mouse, netgear wifi router, hughes modem HT1100.
Assistant Professor

Windows 10 is probably one of your biggest problems. Follow the steps here: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/manage-windows-10-data-usage/

Here's a list of the state codes, I think I just figured out how to do the screen shots and be able to keep more than one.

Thank you, I will see what settings I have missed.

I shut everything off, including the one drive, since I didn't know what it was anyways and didn't use it, I'm not going to miss it. I don't know what that drop box thing is either but it says 25 gb. So I don't want to click on it for fear it might eat up 25 gb.
Junior

Hi erinn,
One drive is a virtual drive keeping all your data on a server so that you can access it anywhere you go. All of your usage was then uploaded to this cloud drive - eating up all your data. Dropbox is where you can upload files to so you can send them to other people, work on them from somewhere else, etc. If you don't know what it is then you don't need it either. Turn it off.

Good morning erinnystrom,

If you're really curious as to what programs are connecting to the internet and using your data, I highly suggest using a third-party data monitoring program to help you pinpoint the programs on your PC that use the most data. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it: https://www.glasswire.com

Also, as sgoshe pointed out, Windows 10 may definitely be a big data user, as updates will be pushed automatically to your computer. 

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->