Hughesnet Community

DNS Errors

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Denise Holcomb

DNS Errors

For the last 2 days I have been getting frequent DNS errors, and have a slow internet connection. I have tried rebooting the router and the modem.  I can get pages to come up sometimes if I keep refreshing the page.  Is it possible for someone from Hughes to remote into my system to see what the issue is?  Thank You!
72 REPLIES 72
Pawnee County

I doubt that however give us some information like PC, OS, RAM type of router and so forth and maybe someone here will have ideals for you to check.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Denise,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community! We'd like to help address your concerns. Please post a recent case number or the serial number on the back/bottom of your modem. With this we'll be able to pull up your account and better assist you.

Thanks,
Chris
holcomdm

serial#111000118036521.  Everything seems to be working now except that we seem to be using a lot of download allowance.  Hubby did have Directv connected to internet which we just disconnected.  Not sure if that may be the problem or what.
Chris11
Alum

Hi holcomdm,

It is not recommended to connect a service like Directv to your Hughes Network. It will use up your data rather quickly. Users typically have a separate dish dedicated for TV. Is that not an option for you?

EDIT: Also your diagnostics came back fine as well. I think the Directv connection may have been bogging you down.

- Chris
holcomdm

Hello,
After months of no problems it has started up again.  And I have rebooted my modem, router, and made sure my directv wasn't connected again, and I am still having issues.  Same thing.  I can get the pages to come up eventually by refreshing the page, but that gets old after awhile.
Chris11
Alum

Hi holcomdm,

I ran some more diagnostics and do not see anything that sticks out. Have you added anymore devices to your network? For example, computers, tablets, phones, which connect to the internet? Are you directly connected to the HN9000 through Ethernet?

If you can please run some speed tests here using 12 MB as the test size www.testmy.net

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Chris
holcomdm

Ran Download test twice.  First time it was 6.9 Mbps and the second time it was 8.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Decent speeds for this time of evening. 
Chris11
Alum

Hi holcomdm,

Thanks for the response. However I will need you to answer more of the questions I asked. Also, what time of day did you run the tests? Anything 60% or higher of what the advertised speed of your plan is normal. It will fluctuate depending on the time of day. However during peak times it will be the lowest. Still it should never be super low, that is indication of something that is off.

Thank you,
Chris
holcomdm

Sorry I forgot to answer the rest of the questions.  We got new tablets at Christmas but had no problems with the internet till just recently.. The speed test was run about 6:30-7pm.
holcomdm

So it's 12:15 on a Saturday.  I ran 2 speed tests back to back.  8.8 mbps and 8.3.  But still having the same issue.
Pawnee County

Those are decent speeds I ran int a similar problem with Firefox and Chrome as well. The page would not load then had to stop and refresh and poof it came right up.  Sometime it could be on the server end but if it is happening a lot check you browser for updates.  I had to totally stop using Chrome and updated Firefox and every thing works fairly well but still have the lag at times.  I do believe when I have problems like that now it is the server I am trying to log into is near or at its peak.  With the latency of Satellite it will take more time to log into a busy server as multiple high speed cable modems will walk all over you.  If that is the case not much can be done as Satellites are 22,300 miles away in what is known as the Clarke Belt.

"Clarke Belt: An orbit 22,245 miles (35,800 kilometers) above the equator in which a satellite travels at the same speed that the earth rotates. The Clarke Belt was named after the writer and scientist Arthur C. Clarke. It is also referred to as a geostationary orbit".

And Satellite Internet has to make 4 trips up and down then up and down.  Think of when there is a News Broadcast and they have Satellite Delay the reporter ask a question then has to wait for a reply due to delay which is Latency. 

What OS's do you have on all machines?
holcomdm

We are running Windows 8.1  on a Toshiba and 2 Lenovo  Laptops.
Like I said once I refresh the page once or twice I can get it to come up.  Guess I will just have to be patient.  Like I said it's happened before and then just resolved itself. 
Chris11
Alum

Hi holcomdm,

Seems to be a "one off" situation. What kind of router do you have(Make and model)?

- Chris
holcomdm

It is a Buffalo WZR-600DHP.
Daavv3T

Same DNS issues here for us as well, for maybe a month or two!

In IE it's a generic "server not found" blank page etc type message, in Firefox it directly says DNS lookup error.  This happens probably at least 50-100 times per day, sometimes not for 15-20 minutes, other times 5-10 times within a 5 minute window. 

Time of day does not matter, it happens all day long, but if we had to say when it happens most often we'd probably guess in the evening

HTTPS seems to be less affected, but it also affects these pages too.  Disabling the turbo page doesn't seem to help, if it does the relief is too minimal to be considered as effective

It's not our modem, we tested without the modem directly connected to a PC, and we tested with 3 different modems (Netgear WNDR6100, WNDR3400V3, and WNDR4700).  HNS modem has been rebooted many times, and during the router testing we tested with old and new firmware in the routers, no change at all as expected due to the DNS issue persisting when connected directly to a PC with no modem.

Routers are set to get DNS automatically from ISP, manually setting to Hughes DNS servers changed nothing.

It has to be something they changed in the satellite service in the past month or two.

Staff, you can lookup our HNS account by the email attached to this user (@ Getsatisfaction login), thanks!  Or, our modem serial # is J7 111000146612820 G

We do not have any recent cases, no need to call as we know phone support does not help in these instances.  We've watched this discussed many times on the forum, but never ran into it ourselves.  We waited a month or so thinking it would clear up on it's own, as I've seen it do so on the forum threads "sometimes"  It's not fixing itself, so now we reach out to you for help. 

We do not want an upgrade to Gen4 unless it's a free setup/install, with a similar priced monthly bill and no dial up speed FAP (ie SmartBrowsing is a must).  8-10 year loyal customer here! 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You should start your own post. I'd guess they will work with you on the upgrade. Smart Browsing depends on where you live, they can't change that.

Have you tried setting DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4?
Daavv3T

Thank you for the reply BirdDog!

Do I really need to start my own thread, for the exact same issue?  This is a recent thread, with same problems we have, and staff is currently replying and looking into the issue.  Plus we even hit the "Me too" button above for extra umph

We really aren't looking to upgrade, because we know no matter what it's going to cost more monthly for similar amount of data + a lease fee too, we only mentioned that if it turns out to be the only fix.  We checked our addy, smart browsing is available, but it's also $10 more a month + $10 more a month lease fee so $20 more a month than we're paying now.

We didn't try google DNS, do you think it will help?  We thought even with turbo page disabled that all DNS queries are redundantly still ran through the Hughes proxies?

If it does help that's good for a little bit, but we'd really rather not use google for many reasons, hopefully Hughes can fix this themselves!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, I'm going through google dns:

The OP is 6 months old, they just like a person having their own post if they want individualized attention. Easier for them to track.
Daavv3T

OK, thanks!  We'll try the google DNS later and see how it goes, but we would prefer Hughes to correct the issue per our location as we've seen them address in the past.

To use other DNS you have to keep turbo page disabled correct?  I do know we need to reset everything and flushdns on all PC's after the changes

And if needed we'll start a new thread.  I do see this one is 6 months old now that you mention it, but the OP and Hughes were back in discussion this week and it was the most recent DNS issue thread we found.  But if necessary we'll start a new thread in a few days.