Hughesnet Community

DNS Errors

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Denise Holcomb

DNS Errors

For the last 2 days I have been getting frequent DNS errors, and have a slow internet connection. I have tried rebooting the router and the modem.  I can get pages to come up sometimes if I keep refreshing the page.  Is it possible for someone from Hughes to remote into my system to see what the issue is?  Thank You!
72 REPLIES 72
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I am Gen4 and have Web Acceleration, it is enabled.
Daavv3T

Is it possible to do that on HN9000S?

We think we remember trying OpenDNS in the past, and being unable to make it work.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Do what? If you mean leave your TurboPage on then I don't know, never had the 9000, went from 7000s to HT1100.
Daavv3T

Sorry, we meant if it was possible to use any alternate DNS server on HN9000S.  We can disable turbo page on HN900S

You skipped over that model, so I guess you wouldn't be able to say for sure unless from others mentioning in the forums.

In the past we've tried openDNS and didn't get it to work, but am not 100% sure if back then we disabled turbo page or not, but if I remember correctly we did try and disable/enable neither worked and Hughes DNS servers were still handling all the DNS requests
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Daavv3T...you should start your own post with your issue, as has been suggested.  Although it may seem related, and even if it was the EXACT same problem, you should start your own post.   
Daavv3T

Thanks to you both for the replies!  We'll create a new thread now.

Mods, you can delete or hide our posts here as you see fit, thanks!

New thread here
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/ongoing-dns-lookup-error-hn9000s
GabeU

Daavv3t,

Perfect.  It's not that commenting on an existing thread or even adding to the discussion is bad or anything, it's just that when you are having a similar (or even the same) issue, it's best to start your own thread, like you did, so that the reps can see it and focus on your particular problem.  When trying to get a problem fixed by talking about it on another thread, you may get lost in the fray, so to speak.  By creating the new post like you did, you have a much better chance of getting the help you need. 

They won't need to hide or delete your posts.

BTW, I meant to tell you to be as thorough and descriptive as possible in your new post, but you already did that.  LOL.  I hope your problem gets resolved.  Good luck.   

Daavv3T

We fully understand how that could be helpful, for those exact reasons too. 

Hughes should however do away with the "Me too" and trying to get you to "Find similar threads" to post too while starting a thread, those all look like they'd rather you add to already created discussions.  We assume that's more the forum software that does this, but they can disable those kind of features if they want, so users wont be inclined to add to a thread for help, or find a similar thread to look for help/answers.  << To Hughes, not directed to you guys replying!

We hoped to give as much info as needed in our initial post, good to see you feel we covered that.  I see Hughes often wanting speed tests run on their system for these issues, we can do that too but obviously speed tests are irrelevant to DNS lookup issues so it's unclear why they persist on asking for those on DNS error threads?
holcomdm

Yeah I was kind of wondering about that myself.  My speed tests are good, so what is going on?
GabeU

Hughes should however do away with the "Me too" and trying to get you to "Find similar threads" to post too while starting a thread, those all look like they'd rather you add to already created discussions

Not at all.  The "Me Too" simply lets Hughesnet know that others may have had the same problem, even if helped by what was discussed in the aforementioned thread.  As for finding similar threads at the outset of your posting, it's to suggest threads where your issue may have already been discussed and solved, so it's done to help you. To disable those features would be VERY bad, not only for the reps, but in the end, for you and me. 

I will agree, though,  that there could be some type of thing that says to start your own thread if the previous discussions and/or solutions don't help.  There would be less confusion that way.  In lieu of such a thing, you'll get the suggestions from us to start your own thread.  

As for the speed tests requested...a series of speed tests do a LOT more than just give your speed.  They can help with figuring out a myriad of problems.  If they ask you to do them, they are asking you to do them for a reason.  The reps know what they are doing and what they are looking for, and they wouldn't ask for something to be done that isn't necessary.  That's what the level 1 phone techs are for.  LMAO.  J/K.       

Chris11
Alum

Hi holcomdm,

We are going to attempt a quick change to your site. You may notice a short interruption of service. If so just reboot your modem and all devices connected to the network. Then test it out and let us know if you see any difference. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
holcomdm

Ok I am not at home so it may not be till later tonight.  Thank You!
holcomdm

OK well still getting dns errors but when I refresh the pages they seem to reload a lot faster, so that's a plus.
Bob_G

Helpful, thanks! http://www.192168-0-1.com
Chris11
Alum

Hi holcomdm,

Glad to hear something has improved. Did you already reboot the modem and all devices?

- Chris
holcomdm

Rebooted Modem and router.  Do we need to disconnect phones and tablets also?  Because they get disconnected daily when we leave for work.
Chris11
Alum

Hi holcomdm,

The phones and tablets should be fine. Mainly the computers should be rebooted to allow for a fresh connection. Unless you are only seeing the errors on the mobile devices. Is that so?

- Chris
holcomdm

I will test things out this weekend.  We where getting some errors on phones and tablets, but I haven't noticed anything the last couple of days.  Will report back on Monday.
holcomdm

Still getting dns errors on everything, and today things seem to have slowed down, but there is bad weather in the area today so that could be a factor.  I guess we'll just keep working on it?
Chris11
Alum

Hi holcomdm,

What you'll need to do is test out one computer directly connected the HughesNet modem. Take the router out of the equation. 

- Chris
holcomdm

I tried to do that and it is requesting a username and password to set up that connection.  Since we got rid of our desktop we have never had any of the laptops directly connected to the modem.  What would be my hughesnet username and password, because I don't remember ever setting one up?