Hughesnet Community

DNS Errors

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Denise Holcomb

DNS Errors

For the last 2 days I have been getting frequent DNS errors, and have a slow internet connection. I have tried rebooting the router and the modem.  I can get pages to come up sometimes if I keep refreshing the page.  Is it possible for someone from Hughes to remote into my system to see what the issue is?  Thank You!
72 REPLIES 72
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

There is no username or password needed to connect to your Hughesnet service ... however,

There is a "passkey" or "passphrase" needed for a wireless device to use your connection if connecting wirelessly through a router.

If you "dump" that info in a device, you will need to access your Routers internal GUI and get that info so it can be entered into the wireless device.

That is a router wireless encryption issue, not a Hughesnet connection issue.

holcomdm

I figured it out with a phone call to the hubby.  Got the ethernet connection to connect but it says there is no internet access now
.  I think it needs to be configured somehow but I'm not sure how.
holcomdm

All lights are on on the modem.  No internet access though.  Hooked back up to the router.
holcomdm

Sorry I should make that a little clearer.  I am packing to go to a conference so I am doing this stuff in between packing.  I cannot connect to the internet with my laptop hooked up to the H9000. So I am hooked back up to the router for now until I can figure that problem out.
holcomdm

Ok got it to work hooked up to HN9000  But I will do some more testing when I get back from my conference because so far only one website gave me a dns error.
Chris11
Alum

Hi holcomdm,

Please do and keep us posted. Have fun at your conference. 

- Chris
Denise Holcomb1

Ok so while at the conference center I had no DNS errors on my laptop, so that was a good test.  When I got home I tested back and forth between being hooked up to the router, and then just the modem.  I got the DNS errors both ways.  I have noticed that the DNS errors are not as bad as they had been the last couple of weeks, but they are still happening.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

How are you obtaining your DNS services ?
Denise Holcomb1

I have no idea...lol.  How do I find this?
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

This is where I select DNS options in my router.
Denise Holcomb1

Ok I have figured out how to look at my router settings and then I did post them.  Then I removed them because I wasn't sure if I should post the IP address.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Denise,

You don't have to post it that's fine. Just let us know if it is set to automatic or something else?

- Chris
Denise Holcomb1

Under WAN connection it says  Connection Type;  Automatic Configuration--DHCP.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

DHCP is one thing,

How to obtain DNS is another:

You do NOT want the Hughes Modem to do DHCP duties ...

You MAY wish to assign DNS service duties to another place.

Denise Holcomb1

Ok I am posting my pic because I am not sure of what to do.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I would change that Local IP Address to 192.168.1.1. Set the Static DNS 1 to 8.8.8.8 and DNS 2 to 8.8.4.4.

Will need to reboot the router.
Chris11
Alum

Thanks for the assist BirdDog 🙂
Denise Holcomb1

What about the DCHP?  There is another choice in the drop down DHCP Forwarder.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Denise, leave it as DHCP Server. Can also try un-checking those three boxes at the bottom.
Denise Holcomb1

Welll......Internet seems somewhat faster...still getting dns errors.
Denise Holcomb1

Yeah no improvement really.