DNS Fails Problem DNS Acceleration[N]

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael3245
Sophomore

DNS Fails Problem DNS Acceleration[N]

I was on the phone with support for two hours. We are going to replace the Modem next week. 

This is a bussiness account but used for home use. I am curious has anyone ever run into it where the DNS Acceleration[N] has red x all the way accorss all the time?

I have checked no malware on the network just times out and fails. The service has not been stable I am hoping its the modem any ideas?

20 REPLIES 20
Michael3245
Sophomore

Also sometimes TCP Accleration errors out as well. 

Modem Errors 2.PNGModem Errors.PNG

Attached the screen shots anyone have any ideas 😞 The internet is also running slow dialup almost 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Michael3245 wrote:

I am curious has anyone ever run into it where the DNS Acceleration[N] has red x all the way accorss all the time? 

I have, but it was many years ago and on a different system.  It was back when I had a legacy plan and a DW6000 modem.  They ended up replacing the radio on my dish.

Hoping the tech will be out on monday with next day service. I know they are going to replace the modem and have the tech check the dish as well. I am hoping to get this fixed 🙂 It hard to use the internet when  96% of your dns lookups fail and you have to keep refreshing to load a page. Here is the current information after a while of the modem running. 

Modem 3.PNGModem 4.PNG

looks like firmware version v0.10.10

boot code 1.1.48

Hardware verison 1

software version 3.4.6.26 fallback 3.4.6.24

wifi software 0.10.10

The modem has been replaced. I was told if the issue happens again would see about moving me to echostar 17. Is this something I would want to do or will i see worse preformance than I do on 19?

GabeU

@Michael3245 wrote:

The modem has been replaced. I was told if the issue happens again would see about moving me to echostar 17. Is this something I would want to do or will i see worse preformance than I do on 19?

It's really anyone's guess, as service can vary from beam to beam and your placement within that beam footprint.  If they suggested it as a possible fix, however, it might be worth it.

I was advised could not speak with the NOC about changing the gateway or DNS. This is the server that all gateways see. Again their tests find nothing wrong. I am not really sure and was advised could not be changed to echostar 17 I should have never been told that.

In this case I am starting to think hughesnet is oversold and does not want to fix the issue.

It works if I bypass and use google dns but why I lose the web accleration part to do this? or would it hurt preformance really to stay on a third party dns for good?

GabeU

@Michael3245 

It's unlikely that your issue has anything to do with system load.  Hopefully the business account reps can send you up the chain to working with the engineers in order to figure out what's going on.     

Strictly by definition, HughesNet must "oversell", as there's no way customers are going to pay what would be required to keep HughesNet a viable company while having a customer base so small that everyone could be guaranteed to get plan speed, barring technical and weather issues, of course.  Upwards of $1000 or more per month.  Since no one is going to pay anywhere near this, they impose monthly high speed data limits to force people to prioritize their activities so they don't run out, which helps to keep the service usable for a much larger customer base.

Right now, however, all bets are off, as the system is under many times the load it normally would be.  That load doubled in just one week leading up to 3/20, and has likely doubled since then, or even more.  Again, though, it's very unlikely that this is what's causing the issues you're seeing, as many others would be experiencing the same thing.

True. May just bypass it and go full google dns. It appears to work. Just hoping someday to get something better. 

Not sure what all was said....  I am just gonna leave some info up about my terminal...

1: I have disabled IPv6 on LAN, but leave it enabled in modem - this helps me sometimes, though will eventually cause issues, somewhat.
2: Web Acceleration uses a few differen't techniques, but one of them involves SQUID, and SQUID on it's own will search an upstream DNS to get websites that it then sends off to you, though you still need a working local DNS.  I personally avoid using WAS.

true/ But using google dns works fine I still belive something is up with hughesnet dns. But it works thats what matters. Besides I heard hughes should send up another sat soon. a LEO one hopefully. But who knows just as long as using a third party external dns does not hurt than I am good. 

GabeU

@Michael3245 

The Echostar 24 satellite is scheduled to go up in 2021 at the earliest, but it may be later due to the pandemic.  It is a geostationary satellite, not LEO.

guess space x is one to watch 🙂 

well so far google dns is working guess this is the soultion 😄 thank you for atleast having hughesnet dsl is no longer a real choice and 4g well can't keep up with the data demands. A hotspot for gaming works 

Update so far so good bypassing and using my own google wifi hardware and google dns no page time outs or dns errors. 🙂