cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS lookup error

Associate Professor

Re: DNS lookup error

Bud,

I assume you are using an Apple based computer since you are using Safari (Safari is only supported on Apple devices now).  Have you tried using a non-hughes DNS?  Not sure how effective it will be since you are on the HN7000 and TurboPage interferes with DNS lookups for non-secure websites, but it could help some.

Look here for how to setup Google DNS for use on that computer, and keep in mind to restart all equipment after changing the DNS server on your machine.
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using?hl=en

(I really hate the Hughes DNS sometimes)
bud

Charles,

Yes, I'm using a Mac computer. I also have OpenDNS set up on both my Mac and router. I never had any issues with dns errors with my previous ISPs before HughesNet. 
Assistant Professor

Bud, just curious about previous ISPs. You have that many to choose from in Alaska? Why did you switch? Serious question, not being smart aleck. 
bud

Our first ISP was crap. Very, very slow and only 2 GB data per month. Their cell data is even worse and it's the only one in town. The second ISP went out of business. They were pretty good as far as satellite internet goes. HughesNet is our last hope for any type of reasonable internet access, at least until something better comes around, if ever. Exede doesn't cover our area unfortunately, or I would've gone with them instead of with HughesNet.
bud

Getting some more dans errors from http://www.arh.noaa.gov and http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/. Both with my Mac directly connected to my modem. 
bud

bud

Hello bud,

I hope you are doing well. We recently reset a large part of the network the other day and I am wondering if you are still experiencing the same DNS issues? I understand you worked with another employee here who also suggested the upgrade to another plan, but it can be a tedious process since we have to have you call in to get your service re-activated after the service plan change. Could you let me know how things are going?

Thanks
Amnada
Highlighted
bud

Hi Amanda,

I still am getting dns issues occasionally but not as much as before. I thought it was you who suggested upgrading our plan at no cost to me 2 weeks ago. If you think I still need an upgrade just let me know so I can call in to get our service re-activated. Thank you and Happy Holidays!
bud

I'm still getting some dns errors to multiple sites and a modem restart is not helping any. Smiley Sad 

Your HN7000S has detected that you have been experiencing a problem because of the following reason(s). Click on the problem name to get more information and suggested remedial actions. 

No DNS Traffic 
An * alongside the problem name indicates that this problem was seen in the previous hours as well.

No DNS Traffic SeenThis message indicates that your HN7000S did not receive any DNS (Domain Name Server) traffic from your computer. Please check your computer's DNS settings and make sure you have a valid DNS server configured. Click here for help on correct computer configuration. 

Note: This could also happen if your browser is proxied. If your browser is proxied, please check the browser's proxy configuration. An incorrect proxy configuration could cause browsing problems. 

If you need further help, please contact Technical Support