Hughesnet Community

DNS lookup error

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bud

DNS lookup error

We've been getting a lot of DNS lookup errors, especially during the free download hours where our connection slows down a lot. 
Looking at the troubleshooting in 192.xxx.x.x I find "DNS AccelerationThis diagnostic message indicates that your HN7000S has detected a possible DNS Acceleration issue. 
This is typically a transient condition and should clear up in a few minutes. No action is required on your part."
It rarely clears up up within a few minutes.
I'm using a Mac mini OS X 10.10.5, Apple's Airport Express and the serial # for our HN7000S is 1032639-0001. I hope that's the right serial.
I have OpenDNS setup on both my Mac and Apple router. 
Never had any problems with previous ISPs before Hughesnet.
72 REPLIES 72
bud

Charles,

Yes, I'm using a Mac computer. I also have OpenDNS set up on both my Mac and router. I never had any issues with dns errors with my previous ISPs before HughesNet. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Bud, just curious about previous ISPs. You have that many to choose from in Alaska? Why did you switch? Serious question, not being smart aleck. 
bud

Our first ISP was crap. Very, very slow and only 2 GB data per month. Their cell data is even worse and it's the only one in town. The second ISP went out of business. They were pretty good as far as satellite internet goes. HughesNet is our last hope for any type of reasonable internet access, at least until something better comes around, if ever. Exede doesn't cover our area unfortunately, or I would've gone with them instead of with HughesNet.
bud

Getting some more dans errors from http://www.arh.noaa.gov and http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/. Both with my Mac directly connected to my modem. 
bud

bud

Amanda

Hello bud,

I hope you are doing well. We recently reset a large part of the network the other day and I am wondering if you are still experiencing the same DNS issues? I understand you worked with another employee here who also suggested the upgrade to another plan, but it can be a tedious process since we have to have you call in to get your service re-activated after the service plan change. Could you let me know how things are going?

Thanks
Amnada
bud

Hi Amanda,

I still am getting dns issues occasionally but not as much as before. I thought it was you who suggested upgrading our plan at no cost to me 2 weeks ago. If you think I still need an upgrade just let me know so I can call in to get our service re-activated. Thank you and Happy Holidays!
bud

I'm still getting some dns errors to multiple sites and a modem restart is not helping any. 😞 

Your HN7000S has detected that you have been experiencing a problem because of the following reason(s). Click on the problem name to get more information and suggested remedial actions. 

No DNS Traffic 
An * alongside the problem name indicates that this problem was seen in the previous hours as well.

No DNS Traffic SeenThis message indicates that your HN7000S did not receive any DNS (Domain Name Server) traffic from your computer. Please check your computer's DNS settings and make sure you have a valid DNS server configured. Click here for help on correct computer configuration. 

Note: This could also happen if your browser is proxied. If your browser is proxied, please check the browser's proxy configuration. An incorrect proxy configuration could cause browsing problems. 

If you need further help, please contact Technical Support
Amanda

Hi Bud,

I've made your topic private so I can give you pricing details. I want to try bumping up your package to see if that opens the pipes for you and alleviates the DNS issues. I think the errors are caused just by overall low speeds, so this might just work.

I can bump your package but between the time you see this and respond, I might not be here to help you re-register your modem. It will be easier if you call in and request with one of our agents to upgrade your plan to the Power 200 so that you can register tonight, and I can apply the price difference discount tomorrow.

Let me know if you have any concerns or trouble doing so.

Thank you
Amanda
bud

Hi Amanda,

What will I be paying per month if we upgrade my plan to the Power 200?
Amanda

The same thing you are paying now - we would apply a discount to your account to cover the difference. 🙂
bud

Wow. Thank you! I hope it fixes the slowness during the free download period too. Do I just need to call 866-347-3292? If it'ds the right number I can call tomorrow. Thanks again.
Amanda

Hiya bud,

Yes we do too! Correct, all you need to do is call that number and ask to be upgraded to the Power 200. After you've finished the re-registration process and you're up and running, let me know here so I can apply the discount.

Thank you,
Amanda
bud

Hi Amanda,

You must get a lot of calls. The upgrade and re-registration took a while due to mostly being on hold but, it's all done. I will let you know on here how everything is running. Thank you!

Ran into a problem a few hours after registering. System light was off on the modem and the "Service Status" showed "Decommissioned". Tried calling Tech Support only to hold for about 3 hours with no answer. Just ran Re-registration in the installation setup and got back online, except the system light went out once again for a second.

FYI The tech I talked to after upgrading ran me thru the Registration-installer process instead of Re-registration. 
bud

Well, it has been two weeks so far since the upgrade and here is my observations.
Right off the bat my connection was very fast, as far as satellite connections go, for a few hours until my modem was "decommissioned". Since then the speed has slowed down some, sometimes waiting over a minute for sites to load, and I am still getting DNS errors here and there but, unlike before a refresh clears it up. Only once or twice a refresh didn't help. The free download period acts the same as before, starts off slow then speeds up later on. It seems the slowness is a bit faster than earlier though. I did manage to download a 1.7 GB update but I used up some data after the free download period in order to get it all. A 1.7 GB movie did download within the free download period at another time though. Also, I am still getting "Safari can't find server" errors but again, a refresh clears it up.
Not perfect, but better I think.
bud

Just for kicks, here's a ping test from my Mac while waiting for this site to load up.

Ping has started...

PING www.google.com (74.125.228.244): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

Request timeout for icmp_seq 2

Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

Request timeout for icmp_seq 4

Request timeout for icmp_seq 5

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=0 ttl=44 time=6428.290 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=1 ttl=44 time=5426.988 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=2 ttl=44 time=4423.403 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=3 ttl=44 time=3423.173 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=4 ttl=44 time=2432.243 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=5 ttl=44 time=2851.759 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=6 ttl=44 time=6988.691 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=7 ttl=44 time=14069.096 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=8 ttl=44 time=13064.283 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=9 ttl=44 time=12412.206 ms

--- www.google.com ping statistics ---

10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 2432.243/7152.013/14069.096/4196.603 ms

bud

Hi Amanda,

I just looked at my CC online and it shows that there is a pending charge for the amount of $316.12 for HughesNet. What's going on here? I thought I'd be paying the same $79.99 a month for my upgrade. My Dashboard shows it's a recurring/one time charge. What is it exactly and why wasn't I told I'd be charged this much? 
Amanda

Hi bud

I am very sorry about this! Perhaps during all the plan changes the discount did not activate. I've resent it and will double check it is there later on today. I have also placed a credit of $236.16 on your account that we will be sending for a refund back to the card on file today (can take a few days to hit your bank). I am again very sorry about this. We only want to keep you on this plan to find out if the DNS errors subside or improve. If they stay at bay at least a bit longer over the next 2 months, we'll want to talk this out with our engineering department and let them know about the discrepancy. 

Thanks
Amanda
bud

Thank you, Amanda.
As I posted earlier the DNS issue is still there, but compared to earlier (before upgrade) a page refresh usually clears it up. When a refresh doesn't clear it up, a modem restart does. A few times neither worked so I just waited until later to try opening the site again and by that time it's all fine once again.
Amanda

Hi Bud

Just wanted to give you a heads up about 20 minutes ago we had an engineering individually upgrade the software on your modem to coincide with an upgrade we did on our end.. you should be seeing much better performance now. 

Thanks
Amanda