Hughesnet Community

DNS lookup error

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bud

DNS lookup error

We've been getting a lot of DNS lookup errors, especially during the free download hours where our connection slows down a lot. 
Looking at the troubleshooting in 192.xxx.x.x I find "DNS AccelerationThis diagnostic message indicates that your HN7000S has detected a possible DNS Acceleration issue. 
This is typically a transient condition and should clear up in a few minutes. No action is required on your part."
It rarely clears up up within a few minutes.
I'm using a Mac mini OS X 10.10.5, Apple's Airport Express and the serial # for our HN7000S is 1032639-0001. I hope that's the right serial.
I have OpenDNS setup on both my Mac and Apple router. 
Never had any problems with previous ISPs before Hughesnet.
72 REPLIES 72
bud

Thanks for the update, Amanda. 
In my modems system info it shows 
Software Date: Feb 29 2012, 17:13:59
Software Release: 6.9.0.37
Is the recent software that was individually upgraded?
As for the performance, I don't feel it's better although it's only been a few days since the "upgrade". There were some dns errors the day your engineers ran the upgrade and last night I was getting multiple web acceleration errors after the 10 pm free download period. My connection has slowed down during the regular daytime hours. I have included a test that I ran 20 minutes ago. I'll let you know how it is in the next week or two. Thanks.
bud

I've been trying to watch online streaming videos in 720p and it's pretty futile. Same with 420p. According to my Network Activity Monitor it's averaging less than 20KB with a lot of under 10 KB data coming in.

Pretty frustrating to say the least.
Amanda

Hi bud, 

With your system I don't expect you to be able to stream anything... This is a legacy system meant for users in extreme remote areas like Kodiak or Yukon territory... If you are still experiencing disconnects due to DNS or web acceleration, I can pass your account back to engineers to review why the updates improved other systems but not yours.

Thanks
Amanda
bud

Hi Amanda,
Sounds like a plan. I hope they figure it out. Thanks.
bud

Hi Amanda,

Any news from the engineers? I'm still getting dns errors, Sarai can't find server, web & tcp acceleration errors. Also, it seems that my connection has been slowing down some according to the tests I have been running at the testmy.net site. The speeds during the free download period has slowed down quite a bit, that's where most of the errors show up for me, I'm guessing about 60% - 70% of them are happening during that time. Thanks.
Amanda

Hi Bud

I pulled aside a particular engineer who has been very helpful to me in the past with cases like this. He is looking into it personally.  I will update you as soon as he gets back to me.

Thanks
Amanda
bud

Thank you, Amanda.
bud

Hi Amanda,
I just checked on my CC online and there is a $199.99 pending charge from HughesNet again. Are we going to start being charged this amount from now on? Thanks.
bud

I would appreciate a response to my above query, Amanda.
Amanda

Hi Bud

I am not sure what happened the other day but I thought I had posted to you... I credited the difference and was preparing to refund once it went through. The issue at this point is we cannot continue to do a price match on a plan that is so expensive, but I had already sent a third followup request on the issue for your DNS problems so I could finally move you back to your old plan. I think I may have to do so anyway, so that if there is still an issue, the engineering dept does it on the right service plan.

Thanks
Amanda
Amanda

Hi Bud

I did check with a couple of different people and those updates were performed back in February. Unfortunately this is the extent of what we can do at this point with the equipment you have. I have, however, been authorized to allow you to cancel service with no fees.

Thank you
Amanda
bud

Hi Amanda,

Sorry for the late reply. I've been out of town for a while.
I would take your offer to cancel service if we had another ISP option but, unfortunately, we don't. So I guess you're stuck with us until something better comes along.
So far I haven't seen a credit or refund to our CC and we have been charged for $199 again.
I thought about keeping this 250 plan so I tried downloading a 421MB file at about 12:30 AM last night. I started late because the free download period from 10 PM - 3 AM starts off real slow and slowly picks up speed. By the time 3 AM came around only 42 MB had downloaded with 4 or 5 timeouts, meaning the download stopped and I had to restart it. I ended up using our daily bandwidth which ran out and I had to use up a token to finish the download. BTW It took about 8 tries to refresh our download allowance where the file downloaded within an hour, finally.
Anyway, I don't think paying $120 more is worth it for the same amount of errors with no difference in speeds during the free download period. So please bump our account down to the previous plan. 
Thank you.

Bud
bud

Hello. Are you still with me, Amanda?
Amanda

Hi Bud

I didn't realize you replied - some posts are not sending me e-mail updates for some reason. We'll have to rewind to the way we did it before.. you let me know when you're on and I will downgrade the plan. I'll also go back and provide you a refund for a month of the $199 service since we are unable to resolve this. I do hope that with the launch of our new satellite there is coverage for your location. because I do understand there are not many providers up there.

Amanda
bud

Thanks for getting back to me, Amanda. We're on pretty much every day all day starting around noon. Maybe you could downgrade our subscription around 2 or 3 pm Alaska time just to be on the safe side.
HughesNet is one of two ISPs in our area but, the other ISP is much worse than HughesNet. And yes, I too hope that the new satellite covers our area. 

Bud
Amanda

Hi Bud

Just wanted to give you a heads up. I will not be in today to change the plan at the right time, but tomorrow I will put in the order right before I leave which is about the time you will be on. As well, I have also seen the indicator for our new satellite service on your upgrade page. I think you might be in luck and available for a free pre-order. I will check with engineers to see if you are going to be 100% in side of a beam

Thank you
Amanda
bud

Hi Amanda,

My upgrade page? I really do hope we'll be inside the beam. Please let me know if we will be or won't be inside the beam. Thanks.

Bud
Amanda

Hi Bud

Yes, we have an internal upgrade page where we can add/remove services like anti-virus programs you might have purchased, service plan upgrades, etc.. These buttons are now appearing for candidates for our new satellite to pre-order. I am going to have an overlay done of the beam and your location. Is the actual physical location in Gambell, AK? 

Also, I have changed your plan to a $79.99 plan that has some extra data. You should  be contacting our Enterprise VSAT Install Support - 888-999-4132, you will reach our Florida enterprise-level support team. 

Thanks
Amanda
bud

Hi Amanda,

Yes, our physical location is in Gambell. Is the VSAT Support open 24 hours a day? And I just tell them I want to bump down our plan to the $79.99 one? Thanks for your help.
Amanda

Hi Bud, yes they should be open 24/7. The beam overlay we have does not look to cover Gambell. With the launch coming closer, I would like to see what plans they have for those still outside these beams and what we're doing to accommodate users such as yourself. To my knowledge, we have 1.4 million customers, approximately 7,000 still on this HN7000 system - but not everyone is located in Alaska. I will let you know.

Also, your plan change has already been put into effect, so you would just need to re-register the modem or call and have them walk you through it like before. Let me know if you need anything further.

Thanks
Amanda
bud

Hi Amanda,

I just downgraded my plan with Sherry, call #54740005. She did not go through the re-registration process with me after I had asked to downgrade our service back to the Power 150 plan. I called again and went through the re-registration process with Danbury, call #54741082, after my modems system light didn't turn on. Anyway, it looks like my plan has been downgraded but my download allowance is at 350 MB instead of having extra data like you said.
Also, I have not seen any $199 refund/credit from the previous month and last month on our CC.
I have just learned that Exede is going to launch a satellite that will cover our area and since HughesNet's satellite won't, will your offer to cancel our service with no fees still be on the table later on? Thanks.

Bud