cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS lookup error

bud

Re: DNS lookup error

No, I haven't done a direct connection. I'll test it when we start getting dns errors again. 
So, are you saying this is the best equipment we can use out here?

Thank you bud. And yes, at least until the middle of next year, this satellite (Horizon) is the only available satellite for Alaska from HughesNet. It's a great system but we have, for a while now, been closing down the transponders for service. The system costs more to keep running than we receive in return, but we understand that people such as those in rural Alaska and Canada have no option so we do our best to provide a service out there.

Amanda
Honorary Alumnus

Hi bud,
Former 7000s user here.

Hughes has three system platforms in use:

The now "legacy"  Ku band DW6000/HN7000s systems required only "line of sight" to an assigned satellite and transponder frequency (it seems there may have been 6 or 7 at the time). Hughes leased transponder space on birds owned by others ... I was on 91W. (Galaxy11 as I recall).

The "throughput" of those birds are limited and the leases are expensive so Hughes went the route of commissioning the building and launch of their own "fleet" of satellites with sole ownership and greater performance and capacity.

The two present Hughes birds are Spaceway3 (95'W) (HN9000 series modems) and Echostar17 (AKA Jupiter 1) (107.1'W) (HT1000/1100 series modems).

These are "spot beam" technology Ka band systems that require not only line-of-sight to the satellite but also a user must be within the "footprint" of a given "beam" of THAT satellite.

Example, in the case of Gen4 (Echostar17) there are 60 "spotbeams" aimed at specific areas of the US. For more info on "spotbeams" see this topic:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/beams-gateways-and-loading-overloading

In the end, at present, there simply are no "spotbeams" aimed at your location so you are limited to the Ku band "leased" legacy HN7000 system.

Now, that COULD change in the (somewhat) near future as Hughes is soon to launch and put into service Jupiter 2. There as been no official announcement that I have seen as to spotbeam coverage for the new satellite.

bud

Thanks for the info, Gwalk900. I hope the new satellite aims at Canada and Alaska.
bud

I'm getting a whole lot of dns errors right now with some different sites except for here and Facebook.
Associate Professor

I honestly don't think Jupiter 2 will cover Alaska...  It's supposedly going to cover all of the continental US, most of Canada, and "Central America".  Sometimes I wonder why Hughes doesn't launch a cheap bird of their own to cover Alaska and a few other areas of north west Canada that they don't really have coverage for.

http://spacenews.com/hughesechostar-orders-jupiter-2-broadband-craft/

It really will be great news to hear if Jupiter 2 will cover alaska, but at the same time, I have my own doubts... Oh, and it looks like the launch date is the very end of 2016 by estimates on a few websites 

Hi bud - I wanted to test out upgrading your service plan but before that, you said you'd direct connect next time you had DNS errors. I also want to see if your DNS errors correspond with any alarms or alerts on our side for reference. We'll be looking out the next couple of days to see if you have the same issue and track it to see if theres correlations. We want to use upgrading your service plan (no extra charge) as a last resort. Let me know the next time (your time zone) and what website you were trying to get to when you encountered a DNS error. If you can get a screen shot of it too, that would be great.

Thanks
Amanda
bud

Hi Amanda,
I totally forgot about the direct connection. Sorry about that. I haven't seen a whole lot of dns errors since my last post. I will have the info you requested the next time I get the errors. 
bud

Got a few dns errors earlier today. Plus I've been now getting a "Safari can't find server" when I first try to open a site. Refreshing opens the sites.

The dns errors were from 21:51 pm - 1:03 pm today. I gave up trying to refresh the pages to see if the error quit coming up.
bud

Haven't had any dns errors since my last post except for one yesterday at 1:39 am. In it's place, I've been getting "Safari can't find server" errors when trying to open sites, this one included. A refresh usually opens up the sites fine.