cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS lookup error

Re: DNS lookup error

Hi Bud,

I've made your topic private so I can give you pricing details. I want to try bumping up your package to see if that opens the pipes for you and alleviates the DNS issues. I think the errors are caused just by overall low speeds, so this might just work.

I can bump your package but between the time you see this and respond, I might not be here to help you re-register your modem. It will be easier if you call in and request with one of our agents to upgrade your plan to the Power 200 so that you can register tonight, and I can apply the price difference discount tomorrow.

Let me know if you have any concerns or trouble doing so.

Thank you
Amanda
bud

Hi Amanda,

What will I be paying per month if we upgrade my plan to the Power 200?

The same thing you are paying now - we would apply a discount to your account to cover the difference. Smiley Happy
bud

Wow. Thank you! I hope it fixes the slowness during the free download period too. Do I just need to call 866-347-3292? If it'ds the right number I can call tomorrow. Thanks again.

Hiya bud,

Yes we do too! Correct, all you need to do is call that number and ask to be upgraded to the Power 200. After you've finished the re-registration process and you're up and running, let me know here so I can apply the discount.

Thank you,
Amanda
bud

Hi Amanda,

You must get a lot of calls. The upgrade and re-registration took a while due to mostly being on hold but, it's all done. I will let you know on here how everything is running. Thank you!

Ran into a problem a few hours after registering. System light was off on the modem and the "Service Status" showed "Decommissioned". Tried calling Tech Support only to hold for about 3 hours with no answer. Just ran Re-registration in the installation setup and got back online, except the system light went out once again for a second.

FYI The tech I talked to after upgrading ran me thru the Registration-installer process instead of Re-registration. 
bud

Well, it has been two weeks so far since the upgrade and here is my observations.
Right off the bat my connection was very fast, as far as satellite connections go, for a few hours until my modem was "decommissioned". Since then the speed has slowed down some, sometimes waiting over a minute for sites to load, and I am still getting DNS errors here and there but, unlike before a refresh clears it up. Only once or twice a refresh didn't help. The free download period acts the same as before, starts off slow then speeds up later on. It seems the slowness is a bit faster than earlier though. I did manage to download a 1.7 GB update but I used up some data after the free download period in order to get it all. A 1.7 GB movie did download within the free download period at another time though. Also, I am still getting "Safari can't find server" errors but again, a refresh clears it up.
Not perfect, but better I think.
bud

Just for kicks, here's a ping test from my Mac while waiting for this site to load up.

Ping has started...

PING www.google.com (74.125.228.244): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

Request timeout for icmp_seq 2

Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

Request timeout for icmp_seq 4

Request timeout for icmp_seq 5

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=0 ttl=44 time=6428.290 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=1 ttl=44 time=5426.988 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=2 ttl=44 time=4423.403 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=3 ttl=44 time=3423.173 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=4 ttl=44 time=2432.243 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=5 ttl=44 time=2851.759 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=6 ttl=44 time=6988.691 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=7 ttl=44 time=14069.096 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=8 ttl=44 time=13064.283 ms

64 bytes from 74.125.228.244: icmp_seq=9 ttl=44 time=12412.206 ms

--- www.google.com ping statistics ---

10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 2432.243/7152.013/14069.096/4196.603 ms

bud

Hi Amanda,

I just looked at my CC online and it shows that there is a pending charge for the amount of $316.12 for HughesNet. What's going on here? I thought I'd be paying the same $79.99 a month for my upgrade. My Dashboard shows it's a recurring/one time charge. What is it exactly and why wasn't I told I'd be charged this much? 

Hi bud

I am very sorry about this! Perhaps during all the plan changes the discount did not activate. I've resent it and will double check it is there later on today. I have also placed a credit of $236.16 on your account that we will be sending for a refund back to the card on file today (can take a few days to hit your bank). I am again very sorry about this. We only want to keep you on this plan to find out if the DNS errors subside or improve. If they stay at bay at least a bit longer over the next 2 months, we'll want to talk this out with our engineering department and let them know about the discrepancy. 

Thanks
Amanda