cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS server isn't responding

DNS server isn't responding

Internet is down for the second time in a month. Troubleshooting says DNS isn't working . Also getting 11.2.1 code from Hughesnet system contol center.
9 REPLIES 9
Honorary Alumnus

Re: DNS server isn't responding

I would suggest setting your router to use Google DNS
Highlighted

I tried that and it didn't work
Assistant Professor

You could have a cable or hardware problem: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/problem-need-service-call-repost-for-stephen

What is signal strength? 
Honorary Alumnus

You will also need to dump all the cached DNS data stored by the Modem, the Router and you computer,

In the following order:

#1: Remove the AC power from the Modem at the power brick

#2: Remove the AC power from the Router at the wall receptacle.

#3: open a command prompt (Start/run/ enter CMD)

At the open command prompt enter the following command:

ipconfig /flushdns

#4: Power up the modem and let it boot up completely before proceeding to the next step.

#5: Power up the Router and let it also boot up completely before proceeding.

#6: Open a browser and enter your Routers setup pages and verify the following settings are in effect:

That the Router has been instructed to use a specified DNS service

And the primary and secondary DNS values have been entered.

As to the 11.2.1 error, what was the duration and number of transitions ?

Most errors are very transitory in nature.

At the time that the "internet was down" what were the weather conditions at your location ?

Just as important what were the weather conditions at the location of your Gateway ?

What troubleshooting steps did you take and what errors are you getting that leads you to think that DNS is at the root of your issue ? Can you post a screenshot ?

Sophomore

In my testing of DNS settings I've found that the DNS settings in the router are ignored if web acceleration is enabled in the modem. I did this by assigning the Norton ConnectSafe DNS servers. If web acceleration is enabled Connectsafe doesn't work.

Do you have reason to believe that the Google DNS servers are not bypassed by web acceleration?

Earlier today I had code 11.2.1- problem recievubg data. Now I have code 3.1.1 code- cable problem. I haven't had bad weather and I've checked all the connections outside I can . Just had a technician out to fix a cracked connection a few weeks ago.. Hughes net this is getting old real quick!!
Honorary Alumnus

From the book:

Associate Professor

If you are receiving 3.1.1, check your coaxial cable connection at the modem and make sure its hand tight.  If the code keeps reoccuring, you have either a bad cable, or bad termination in the cable somewhere.  Chances are it will require a truck roll to repair.
Alum

Hi Lynsey,

I was just about to suggest power cycling your modem, however I see that you called in for support and our agent had you do this and it fixed your issue. That should be the first thing you try whenever things like this happen. Each state code is typically temporary and your unit should pass through and fix itself. However there are times when a reboot is necessary. If you run into anymore concerns feel free to let us know.

Thank you,
Chris