cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DON'T SIGN UP FOR HUGHESNET IF YOU WANT GOOD INTERNET SPEED.

DON'T SIGN UP FOR HUGHESNET IF YOU WANT GOOD INTERNET SPEED.

HUGHESNET TAKES ADVANTAGE OF THE ELDERLY AND DISABLED AND WON'T LET YOU OUT OF YOUR CONTRACT. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON HUGHESNET. THEIR SOLUTION TO SLOW INTERNET SINCE DAY ONE OF HAVING THEIR SERVICES IS TO HAVE YOU UPGRADE TO A MORE EXPENSIVE PKG. THEIR INTERNET SPEED IS ARCHAIC, LIKE BACK TO THE DAYS OF DIAL UP SPEED. I'M 60 AND DISABLED AND EVEN THOUGH I'VE COMPLAINED THEY WOULDN'T LET ME OUT OF MY CONTRACT WITHOUT PAYING A VERY STEEP CANCELLATION FEE. WORST INTERNET SERVICE AND REALLY TERRIBLE CUSTOMER CARE. EXCEDE INTERNET IS A MUCH BETTER CHOICE FOR RURAL AREAS. THEY LIMIT THE AMOUNT OF CUSTOMERS IN AN AREA WHERE AS HUGHESNET DOESN'T PUT A CAP ON HOW MANY PEOPLE THEY SIGN UP FOR THEIR SERVICES AND THIS RESULTS IN POOR INTERNET SERVICE AND SPEED. YOU'D BE A FOOL TO SIGN UP WITH HUGHESNET UNLESS YOU LIKE THROWING YOUR MONEY AWAY.
14 REPLIES 14

Re: DON'T SIGN UP FOR HUGHESNET IF YOU WANT GOOD INTERNET SPEED.

I am disabled and just got their internet service and I think it's great! Streams video great play games on my iPad tell me what the problem is? 10 Gm a monthly for $55.00 is not bad.
I need to know if there's a problem now while I can still get out! Thanks, Marko Polo
Highlighted

WHERE AS HUGHESNET DOESN'T PUT A CAP ON HOW MANY PEOPLE THEY SIGN UP FOR THEIR SERVICES AND THIS RESULTS IN POOR INTERNET SERVICE AND SPEED.

Yep, that's a major issue for some and Hughesnet has a tendency to deny and deflect this issue.

If you're on a highly congested beam/gateway then it's very possible that your speeds can be slow no matter the time of day/night..Reboots, Modem Swaps, Speed Tests and as you said Upgrading to the most expensive plan won't really change that..They've already reached their designated maximum capacity within certain areas but they're still advertising and selling within those areas knowing that their service won't work properly as advertised..Of course a potential customer won't realize that until after the fact..It only seems to be getting worse and worse and those who are mainly affected tend to be GEN4 customers.
Freshman

Contact you states Consumer Protection Advocacy and complain if you have an issue. If enough people in your state complain then your Attorney General may get involved. Being disabled you may also want to try any state agencies that cover disabled persons.
Alum

Hi jroulette,

I'm sorry to hear that the service did not meet your expectations. Looking through your past case history, there is no mention or call in for technical support due to speeds or slow service. I'm sure you did have issues, however we can usually fix it. I wish you would have found this community sooner. We work closely with engineering to resolve almost all customer concerns. Hopefully your new service fits your needs. 

Thank you,
Chris
Observer

Just wait til the honeymoon is over.....

Our service is also slow, it goes down in good weather and bad. Always when least expected and most disruptive. This is the 3rd day since data was refilled, and already it is down to 78% on data allowance. We have 2 laptops, 2 cell phones, 2 tablets. It's just me and my husband, no kids. I admit that I'm disappointed both with the connection speed, and with how quickly the data allowance fritters away. We most likely will not renew once our contact is done. I have also considered asking what the early termination fee is, but haven't yet.

I'm a sadder but wiser gal in Kansas.

I should add that we've only had our service for 2 mos. Started on Sept. 1, 2016. Download speeds are so slow, especially for my tablet. It is almost painful. Smiley Sad
Distinguished Professor IV

Mark,

Glad you like it.  I do, too.  Just make sure to be careful with the streaming.  Depending on the definition you stream in it can use up to 3GB per hour.  Just make sure you are watching your data usage.  Also, keep in mind that for the first ten or twenty days of service, depending on your plan and modem, your data resets daily instead of monthly.  So, again, just make sure to remain cognizant of your data usage.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Distinguished Professor IV

mahartzler,

It would be best if you started your own post to address your issues.  You can do so by clicking the "New Post" button at the top of the page.  Incidentally, your devices must be adjusted so they don't use more data than necessary.  If you switch to someone else, your data usage isn't going to change. 

Regarding speeds, you should connect a single device directly to the model with a LAN cable, NO ROUTER, and follow the procedures in the following link for testing the speed and posting the results.  The speed tests are the first step in addressing speed issues.  You can post the results in the new post that you create. 

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit