HughesNet Community

DON'T SIGN UP FOR HUGHESNET IF YOU WANT GOOD INTERNET SPEED.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jroulette56

DON'T SIGN UP FOR HUGHESNET IF YOU WANT GOOD INTERNET SPEED.

HUGHESNET TAKES ADVANTAGE OF THE ELDERLY AND DISABLED AND WON'T LET YOU OUT OF YOUR CONTRACT. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON HUGHESNET. THEIR SOLUTION TO SLOW INTERNET SINCE DAY ONE OF HAVING THEIR SERVICES IS TO HAVE YOU UPGRADE TO A MORE EXPENSIVE PKG. THEIR INTERNET SPEED IS ARCHAIC, LIKE BACK TO THE DAYS OF DIAL UP SPEED. I'M 60 AND DISABLED AND EVEN THOUGH I'VE COMPLAINED THEY WOULDN'T LET ME OUT OF MY CONTRACT WITHOUT PAYING A VERY STEEP CANCELLATION FEE. WORST INTERNET SERVICE AND REALLY TERRIBLE CUSTOMER CARE. EXCEDE INTERNET IS A MUCH BETTER CHOICE FOR RURAL AREAS. THEY LIMIT THE AMOUNT OF CUSTOMERS IN AN AREA WHERE AS HUGHESNET DOESN'T PUT A CAP ON HOW MANY PEOPLE THEY SIGN UP FOR THEIR SERVICES AND THIS RESULTS IN POOR INTERNET SERVICE AND SPEED. YOU'D BE A FOOL TO SIGN UP WITH HUGHESNET UNLESS YOU LIKE THROWING YOUR MONEY AWAY.
14 REPLIES 14
Mark Fankell

I am disabled and just got their internet service and I think it's great! Streams video great play games on my iPad tell me what the problem is? 10 Gm a monthly for $55.00 is not bad.
I need to know if there's a problem now while I can still get out! Thanks, Marko Polo
MzLiz

WHERE AS HUGHESNET DOESN'T PUT A CAP ON HOW MANY PEOPLE THEY SIGN UP FOR THEIR SERVICES AND THIS RESULTS IN POOR INTERNET SERVICE AND SPEED.

Yep, that's a major issue for some and Hughesnet has a tendency to deny and deflect this issue.

If you're on a highly congested beam/gateway then it's very possible that your speeds can be slow no matter the time of day/night..Reboots, Modem Swaps, Speed Tests and as you said Upgrading to the most expensive plan won't really change that..They've already reached their designated maximum capacity within certain areas but they're still advertising and selling within those areas knowing that their service won't work properly as advertised..Of course a potential customer won't realize that until after the fact..It only seems to be getting worse and worse and those who are mainly affected tend to be GEN4 customers.
pattymotley
Freshman

Contact you states Consumer Protection Advocacy and complain if you have an issue. If enough people in your state complain then your Attorney General may get involved. Being disabled you may also want to try any state agencies that cover disabled persons.
Chris11
Alum

Hi jroulette,

I'm sorry to hear that the service did not meet your expectations. Looking through your past case history, there is no mention or call in for technical support due to speeds or slow service. I'm sure you did have issues, however we can usually fix it. I wish you would have found this community sooner. We work closely with engineering to resolve almost all customer concerns. Hopefully your new service fits your needs. 

Thank you,
Chris
poppypuppy
Observer

Just wait til the honeymoon is over.....
mahartzler1

Our service is also slow, it goes down in good weather and bad. Always when least expected and most disruptive. This is the 3rd day since data was refilled, and already it is down to 78% on data allowance. We have 2 laptops, 2 cell phones, 2 tablets. It's just me and my husband, no kids. I admit that I'm disappointed both with the connection speed, and with how quickly the data allowance fritters away. We most likely will not renew once our contact is done. I have also considered asking what the early termination fee is, but haven't yet.

I'm a sadder but wiser gal in Kansas.
mahartzler1

I should add that we've only had our service for 2 mos. Started on Sept. 1, 2016. Download speeds are so slow, especially for my tablet. It is almost painful. 😞
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Mark,

Glad you like it.  I do, too.  Just make sure to be careful with the streaming.  Depending on the definition you stream in it can use up to 3GB per hour.  Just make sure you are watching your data usage.  Also, keep in mind that for the first ten or twenty days of service, depending on your plan and modem, your data resets daily instead of monthly.  So, again, just make sure to remain cognizant of your data usage.   

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GabeU

mahartzler,

It would be best if you started your own post to address your issues.  You can do so by clicking the "New Post" button at the top of the page.  Incidentally, your devices must be adjusted so they don't use more data than necessary.  If you switch to someone else, your data usage isn't going to change. 

Regarding speeds, you should connect a single device directly to the model with a LAN cable, NO ROUTER, and follow the procedures in the following link for testing the speed and posting the results.  The speed tests are the first step in addressing speed issues.  You can post the results in the new post that you create. 

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
cindyrichey

I'm Totally new @ this I'm 61, am Tech challenged as it is, What do you mean Streaming I'm not having a good time trouble all the time live in the rural, w/hughes WHAT SHOULD I DO Cancel?
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Hi Cindy,

Streaming means watching video content on the internet. So if I watch a movie on Amazon but don't download it first, I'm streaming it.
Mark Fankell

How do I check and keep an eye on my data useage on a daily basis?
I'm not very tech savvy and have no idea how to check my usage, please help!
I got very useful advise from a nice guy named GabeU and he advised me to make sure I checked data usage daily. Thank you GabeU for your reply
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hello Mark,

Here is a list of the "tools" you have available to track your data usage:

Hughes offers three different usage meters:

#1: The modems internal SCC (System Control Center) display that can be found by entering 192.168.0.1 into your browser.

The portion devoted to data allowance looks like this:

(click on picture for larger image)

The above meter has the advantage of being always available, it shows allowance info from all THREE "data buckets", Anytime Bytes (8am to 2am local) , Bonus Bytes (2am to 8am local) and Token Bytes which are extra cost data blocks that can be "stored" for use if and when needed.

The only problem with the above meter is in its "resolution". You won't see it increment downward in amounts less than 100 MB's.

Its great for a quick check but lacks "detail" if you are trying to track a data loss issue.

#2: There is a utility that is availa ble for download and installation on your computer from your dashboard at http://supportcenter.myhughesnest.com called the Download Status Meter:

It too displays remaining data in all THREE "data buckets", Anytime Bytes (8am to 2am local), Bonus Bytes (2am to 8am) and the optional extra cost Token Bytes.

It also has a handy little ribbon graph that quickly shows if you are ahead or behind the "usage curve".

This meter, once you are past 1 GB of usage also lacks "resolution" and at times is slow to "update" from the source but it still has its uses. It also has a "u sage history" display.

#3: The third and most accurate of the usage meters is the "at a glance" meter found after logging into your dashboard at http://supportcenter.myhughesnet.com:

This one is the most accurate ... you can see usage right down to a single MB if needed.

It too shows data remaining in all three data buckets .. Anytime, Bonus and Token.

In addition to the "usage meters" there is also a History display in addition to the one within the Download Status Meter utility.

It can be found on your dashboard after clicking on the "usage" tab.

It is, as a history, subject to some delay ... usually one to three hours. The display has been recently updated: 

That pretty much sums up the official Hughesnet "tools".

There is another program we use frequently around to track usage on a single computer called GlassWire: (there is a free and paid version ... free is fine)

https://www.glasswire.com/help/

It will provide usage det ails for all programs and background processes on the single computer upon which it is installed:

GabeU

Mark,

Gwalk900 listed some great things on how to watch your data usage.  The Glasswire program is especially effective if you find yourself in a situation where you seem to be using more data than you think you should be.  It breaks your data usage down so you can see exactly what, on the computer it's installed on, is using it.  But, as stated, it only monitors the data usage on the computer it's installed on, so if you have additional devices, like a smart phone or something else, it doesn't monitor that.  

If you have Windows 10, make sure that you have syncing turned off.  Also make sure that in your Windows update settings, you have the option to "update from more than one place" turned off.  It's also best to not use the cloud.  Those three things can use a lot of data, especially the last two. 

Also, if your computer is used wirelessly, like a laptop using a wireless router, you can have it set as a metered connection.  That way you can control when your Windows updates are downloaded. 

Really, anything that you can do to use less data is great, and having things that can use a lot of data either turned off or set to manual is the best way to save on that data.   

As for watching your data regularly, I find that the Hughesnet Status Meter is the easiest and fastest way to do so.  It gives you a quick look at how much data you've used and how much you have left of your monthly data allowance.