Hughesnet Community

Data Allowance

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
korymorgan

Data Allowance

I noticed today how extremely slow our connection is. After doing some investigating I found that we are throttled down immensely after our allowance is out. Unfortunately, the rep who signed us up had us believing something entirely different. He had us believing that once our daily is gone the bonus takes over.
We have had a rough beginning with Hughes. Our DL speeds are still way low, especially in the evening. We are working on resolution for that. But now this. I take part of the blame as I should have asked more clarifying questions. But I would like to believe that what I am being told is true and not just for making a sale.
If Hughes could see their way to shooting us some Allowance credit that sure would go along way with us. We're not asking for the entire amount. 10 would make us very happy.
Anyway, I also hope that future customers read this before signing up so that they are well informed. They would be wise to peruse the entire community before siging up. We would have been better informed.
34 REPLIES 34
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

your data allowance is divided into 2 periods:

Anytime Bytes: 8am to 2am local

Bonus Bytes: 2am to 8am

You really have THREE data sources to draw from if you include any amounts from extra cost "Token Bytes"

(click on picture for larger image)

You need to monitor your usage rate so as to pace yourself.

To that end you have three usage meters:

One is internal to the modem and can be accessed by 192.168.0.1

This is known as the SCC (System Control Center)

The second meter is a utility you can download and install. This is known as the Download Status Meter and can be found on your "dashboard":

http://my.hughesnet.com/

Once installed it looks like this:

The third and most accurate is also found after logging into your dashboard and looks like this:

On a data capped service you simply have to monitor and control your usage.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Also you can ask to have the sales call reviewed by a representative to hear if you were misled in any way. At $16 for 2 GB you are asking for $80 worth of data for free. Some plans the entire month of Anytime data is 10 GB. Which plan do you have?
Liz

Hi Kory,

Thanks for posting! Gwalk and BirdDog's points of advice are very good to follow and keep in mind. Let me dig further and see about pulling your sales call to see what happened.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

korymorgan

Yes please do. I'd like to hear it as well.
korymorgan

I have the Ultra plan. 50gb a month. I wouldn't ask for anything really. Not that kind of guy. But I was misled. Now I can't use the Internet to even get to this page. I am using cell phone.
I'd take anything to be able to use internet instead of cell phone. Or match me tokens.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Wow! I have Ultra plan also and don't burn through all my 50 GB Anytime bytes even with my wife watching a lot of YouTube and Netflix.
What are you doing and do you have lots of people using it?
Really need to get a handle on the data usage.
No HD video streaming, only SD or low is a good place to start.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

WOW is right !

I also have the 50/50 Ultra plan.

You sure have something going on that I don't. Time to get a handle on what is going on.

korymorgan

BirdDog, I was I had had that info beforehand. I thank you for pointing them out. And yes WOW is right. See, I dont believe for a second I used that much, especially having used almost 25gb in one day.

Because of the issues I have been having out of the box, I have also been talking to the install company who has been helpful. Talking to them a couple weeks after my install, they said it was weird that it wasnt showing I was using ANY data. As soon as my cycle started new the second month two days later it says I used nearly 25GB in one day. Just me and my wife. No way. We havent done anything different than the first month.

I have a laptop, two cell phones and an Ipad the wife uses. My cell phones use mobile data.

I have just had zero luck from the jump. And tech support(Hughes) is no help with language barrier. If i had been a customer for a year or me I wouldnt even be posting about any of this. But the first week in was hell and its only got slightly better. Now I am throttled down so low I cant even bring up Hughes site.

So I go in to my account settings, looking at invoice and what not and I see a 16.00 charge. No idea why. But I assumed maybe they gave me a credit for some tokens. Nope. Apparently I unknowing bought some. I know I didnt. But just a while a go I did so we could get on the internet. 

Anyway, how I go one month with hardly using any data to going over 3 days into my new cycle is mindblowing.

All these great suggestions coming from all these users, one would think that they would do something different up front. Even the "official people" point to you all for helping people out. I beginning to think its because they are not very informed either. Pulling the sales call does nothing if I am not able to hear it too.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The first month of service the first 20 days are unlimited to allow for updating computers and devices. That is probably why you noticed such a difference between the first and second month of service.
There are all kinds of things thy can use very large amounts of data like iCloud and syncing of any kind. If using Windows 10 there are things that must be turned off to prevent it from using lots of data. Streaming video in HD will use large amounts of data.
korymorgan

disclaimer: I am a systems engineer. It does not mean I know everything and anything about this sort of stuff. That said, I am capable on my end to tweak my laptop and other devices to consume less data. And I have since done so, albeit to late. I didn't want to come on here claiming to be tech god because I am far from ot. I learn something new everyday in my line of work. The last thing I want to do after a stressful enough day at work is to come home to this. 

I believed, against better judgement, that what I was being told was accurate and true. Our call center people get shown the door daily for misinforming clients. Is it right? Not my call. But we also do whatever it takes to make it up to the client(s) that are affected. Each and every client, which encompasses an entire business, is as important as the other. We are not in business to misinform, mislead, or mistake our customers.

Hughes is a different dynamic in that they are dealing with an individual consumer in their home. And what is most important for them is to make the sale, by any means possible, any means (and I can back that up), then keep client confused enough that enough time has passed that the client cancels they go collect 400.00.

Now our neighborhood is pretty tight group of folks. We eat over or have a bonfire at someones house every week. And I help some of them with their networks and such. We talk about everything. I have never once said a word about Hughes. And its been brought up, other than to say its new and working out some wrinkles.

We live in an area that has only DSL and it was pretty awesome compared to where we are now with hughes.

oh, and about buying tokens. Be nice if there were a popup verifying you're about to make a purchase. I clicked thinking there would be a warning and a cancel button but click it, even accidently, and its yours. Another, using firefox is not a very good idea.              
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Kory,

I'm afraid you are going to have a very rocky road.

There is a large adjustment to be made for users coming to a capped service from a true ground based unmetered broadband ISP.

There are just sooooo many things, so many subtle settings and behavioral changes needed to get the most out of your Hughes service.

I (and the other) "regulars" can try and help you through these adjustments but the biggest hurdle that we as helpers face is lack of knowledge on the part of users and denial.

We can type out a big long winded detailed post only to have a user "pick and choose" which parts to follow and if the thing isn't taken as a whole it wastes your time and ours.

If you want the help in understanding how to limit data usage I will certainly help but I do have a trip to Chicago going up on Friday and some major surgery coming up but if you are willing ... so am I.

I have been a Hughes subscriber for about 12 years and come from the days where the daily allowance was 250 MB. I can't remember the last time I was in FAP.

I build and repair computers and "clean up" the ones with issues.

As I said earlier, the biggest issue we have is  ... denial.

To use your own statement "I don't believe for a second that I used 25 GB in one day", well you can, very easily.

Here is a fact: A single computer has 65,536 "comm ports" ... a single machine !

If you open a web browser it uses port 80 ... you can "see" that because the browser is open.

If you use a email client program such as Thunderbird, Outlook (the program, not the webmail( or Incredimail, among others, you will use two more "ports". That is a total of THREE out of 65,000 +.

The others ? Well they can, will and are "background processes", they run unseen in the background and if and when they "connect" they use data, data that you are unaware of in most cases.

There are "Programs" and there are "Processes". I just looked at the laptop (Win7) I'm using and there are 104 background processes running. Not all are using a network connection. Some "turn on" and make a connection ... do their prescribed task, the "turn off".

This is on a SINGLE computer.

Here is another fact: Fully 30% of all computers are infected with some type of virus, malware, adware, and keylogger infections.

Before you say ... "not me, I have an antivirus program" you have to understand that not all A/V programs have the best "detection rate" and any and all of them can get corrupted and infected themselves.

Remember, all of the above is on a SINGLE COMPUTER.

Now, add in a router ... a router is a "LAN MULTIPLIER" .. it allows the connection of multiple computers, each bringing an additional 65,000 ports.

Add to THAT, the wireless "radio" portion of the router and you have "connection avenue" for even more devices.

Then we have to consider the "guts", the firmware of the router itself. It is usually set to connect and check for firmware updates and have been known to get "caught in a loop" and consume large amounts of data.

Then we have the fact that the internet itself has changed. Many web pages contain "auto load" "auto run" "auto refresh" scripts and video clips .. and they all eat data, continuously while the page is "open" and many will refresh while you are on another "tab". You can't leave the computer and leave a browser open. Read the page, close the page.

Then there are Ads. You need to install Ad Block and Script Blocking browser extensions to prevent data from being consumed by ads you really have no use for.

All "cloud" and "sync" services must be disabled.

In the router, the username and password to the routers "front end" (where the internal settings are displayed in the GUI) must be changed from the default values.

The wireless side of the router must have a strong level of encryption enabled.

"Guest" must be disabled.

WPS must be disabled

QoS must be disabled.

Well Kory, I see from your latest posts that you really don't need the above but its typed so I'll just post it for anyone else that may be following this thread.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Dang Gwalk, once again you've said about all there is to say and excellent info. Too bad from the the majority of experience here it will go in one ear and out the other. If they even take the time to read it.
Still, you get a huge atta'Boy!
Liz

Good morning Kory,

I just have a "non-update" update, sadly; no word back on your sales call review. I've poked the sales source that took your call to try to speed things up. I'm sorry for the delay.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

korymorgan

Gwalk

Thank you for the info. There are a things on your list that I did not think of. Like I said, I dont know everything and never claim to. I appreciate your help. I was on a dsl line before this and broadband a long while ago. We live in an area where broadband is not an option.

And as I said before, I went into this believing the sales rep and what he told me. Its not denial. I was excited at the prospect of something faster and by the way I was told, not really capped, because of the bonus allowance.

I will certainly tinker some more with what you have suggested.

Last night I turned everything off completely. Went on my phone and checked my token allowance. It reported 1367mb. Checked it this morning before turning anything on and it was at 814mb. I am assuming non of the reporting is real-time.

Thanks again. I really really appreciate YOUR help.

p.s I have ADBlocker installed along with script blocker 😃

p.s.s the month before I didnt go over, didnt add any new devices and my habits didnt change.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

If the month before was your first month then the first 20 days of that month were unlimited. They do it so people can update computers and other devices.

There is some delay in data use reporting. If you are doing something online and look at the meter then shut the computer off when you turn things back on you may see data gone on the meter that was actually used just before you shut it down. Hope that made sense.
korymorgan

Made sense. But they should tell your the first 20 days are unlimited, agree? It gives a false sense of usage. I know what I need to do and not do now. And will. But being stuck with usage for the next 20 days is not sitting well with me, obviously.

Do they throw you guys a token or two for helping out? They should!!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Good Morning Kory,

One thing I noted in one of your earlier posts was the fact that you were in FAP (read as throttled) but your plan allows "SmartBrowse". The fact that SmartBrowse was overridden and you dropped into FAP tells me that your aggregate data draw exceeded, at that moment, a certain threshold. You should have had, under ideal conditions, full speed for simple tasks such as email and "simple" web page. That fact that you didn't says you may have more going on than is readily apparent.

Speeds:

Lets look at this in another way ..

Take the water line that runs into your house at the point of the water meter.

That pipe has the capacity to pass a certain number of gallons per minute. If you open a single faucet you will draw from that main pipes capacity. If you continue to open additional faucets all wil work just fine but a some point you will have matched the flow capacity of that main pipe. At that point the flow rate at each faucet will begin to be reduced ... it will become slower.

Your Hughes connection operates in the same manner. A single computer ... assuming only a single program is connected will have the full "gallons per minute" available to it. If you open two programs then the flow from the "main pipe" (modem LAN port) is divided in two .. the "capacity stream" is reduced to each program. Now open programs you can see .. they are open on the desktop .. no surprises .... BUT if there are any number of background processes running .. they too consume data from the "stream" reducing the amount of "flow" to the programs you are aware of and as a result, those programs slow down individually.

Not only do things appear slower but data is being used.

All of the above is with just a single computer connected ... add in a router and everything is multiplied ... everything that is except for the size of the main data "inlet pipe" .. that remains the same.

The more "concurrent connections" the smaller the available data stream to each device and smaller stream to each process and program per device. At some point things just appear to grind to a halt because the stream to each is reduced.

Ad to that  ... wireless devices. Those are notorious for not "playing nice". I have an iPad, a Nook HD+, two iPads and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and they all take careful management.

The worst od them is "I" anything ... there are constant OS updates. Those updates often are broken mid-stream and the dang things start over .. using vast amounts of data.

Those devices need to be "hard off" not just allowed to hibernate. They WILL "wake up" and connect.

The same applies to computers ... not a good idea to hibernate those either ... you never know when a "scheduled take" will take over, wake the machine, run task (and consume data) and resume hibernation.

Finally we get to Windows ... the "landscape" has changed ... dramatically.

It used to be that we only had to concern ourselves with "patch Tuesday" (second Tuesday of the month), that is no longer true.

First there is Win10.

You have very limited control over updates to Win10... very limited. In addition Win10 now "shares telemetry" ... more data gone.

It doesn't stop there.......

In an effort to be "helpful" Microsoft will download Win10 as a background process to users of Win7, 8 and 8.1 so as to "make it easy" to upgrade to Win10 if you desire .. all while costing you large amounts of data .. without your knowledge.

Win10 is also be snuck in as a "recommended update" when you run Windows Update ... more data.

And it gets worse .. there are a number of Windows updates to Win7, 8 and 8.1 that cause those OS's to emulate the "data sharing/telemetry" habits of Win10 ... more data gone that a user is not aware of ... things that the OS didn't use to do.

Cell phones ... cell phones just love to attach themselves to your Hughes connection via WiFi ... and use your data.

There is a list of Windows updates to be avoided ... but this should be done only by experienced users. I am not advocating a user to not update their computers:

KB Article: 2952664
Title: Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
Applies to: Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Description: This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program. These diagnostics help determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. This update will help Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who want to install the latest Windows operating system.

KB Article: 2976978
Title: Compatibility update for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.0
Applies to: Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Pro, & Windows 8.1, Windows 8.0 Enterprise, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.0
Description: This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program. These diagnostics help determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. This update will help Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who want to install the latest Windows operating system.

KB Article: 2977759
Title: Compatibility update for Windows 7 RTM
Applies to: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Ultimate

KB Article: 2990214
Title: Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
Applies to: Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Description: This update enables you to upgrade your computer from Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) to a later version of Windows.

KB Article: 3021917
Title: Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements
Applies to: Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Description: This update performs diagnostics in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) in order to determine whether performance issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. Telemetry is sent back to Microsoft for those computers that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). This update will help Microsoft and its partners deliver better system performance for customers who are seeking to install the latest Windows operating system.

KB Article: 3022345
Title: Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
Applies to: Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter, Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation, Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Description: This package introduces the Diagnostic and Telemetry service on existing devices. This package also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

KB Article: 3035583
Title: Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
Applies to: Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Description: This update installs the Get Windows 10 app that helps users understand their Windows 10 upgrade options and device readiness.

KB Article: 3044374
Title: Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10
Applies to: Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter, Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation, Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1
Description: This article describes an update that enables you to upgrade your computer from Windows 8.1 to a Windows 10.

KB Article: 3068708
Applies to: Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter, Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation, Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Description: This package updates the Diagnostic and Telemetry service on existing devices. This package also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

KB Article: 3075249
Title: Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
Applies to: Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter, Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation, Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Description: This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels.

KB Article: 3080149
Applies to: Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter, Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation, Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Description: This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. This service provides benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

KB Article: 3112336
Title: Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: December 2015
Applies to: Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter, Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation, Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1
Description: This update enables support for additional upgrade scenarios from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, and provides a smoother experience when you have to retry an operating system upgrade because of certain failure conditions. This update also improves the ability of Microsoft to monitor the quality of the upgrade experience.

KB Article: 3112343
Title: Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: December 2015
Description: This update enables support for additional upgrade scenarios from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and provides a smoother experience when you have to retry an operating system upgrade because of certain failure conditions. This update also improves the ability of Microsoft to monitor the quality of the upgrade experience.

KB Article: 3123862
Title: Updated capabilities to upgrade Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
Applies to: Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Description: This update adds capabilities to some computers that lets users easily learn about Windows 10 or start an upgrade to Windows 10

KB Article: 3135445
Title: Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: February 2016
Applies to: Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows Embedded Standard 7 Service Pack 1
Description: This update contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

KB Article: 3135449
Title: Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: February 2016
Description: This update contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2.

KB Article: 3138612
Title: Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: March 2016
Description: This update contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

KB Article: 3138615
Title: Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: March 2016
Description: This update fixes the following issue with previous versions of the Windows Update Agent for Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2: Windows Update would sometimes not restart the computer as expected when the “Always automatically restart at the scheduled time” policy was set.

KB Article: 971033
Title: Description of the update for Windows Activation Technologies
Applies to: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate
Description: There is an update available to the activation and validation components in Windows Activation Technologies for Windows 7. Windows Activation Technologies helps you confirm that the copy of Windows 7 that is running on your computer is genuine. Additionally, Windows Activation Technologies helps protect against the risks of counterfeit software. Windows Activation Technologies in Windows 7 consists of activation and validation components that contain anti-piracy features. Activation is an anti-piracy technology that verifies the product key for the copy of Windows 7 that is running on your computer. The product key is a 25-character code that is located on the Certificate of Authenticity label or on the proof of license label. These labels are included with each genuine copy of Windows. A genuine product key can only be used on the number of computers that are specified in a software license. Validation is an online process that enables you to verify that the copy of Windows 7 that is running on your computer is activated correctly and is genuine.

In addition to the above there are such things as to the "type" of router a user has ... B, G, N or AC that can affect speeds as well as the network adaptor settings on each computer.

All of these things will have an effect on performance.

In addition to that we have to consider certain performance aspects of the wireless portion of the router ...

"radiation pattern" of the wireless signal

Distance from the router

Frequency (2.4 GHZ / 5 GHZ)

Interference from things such as cordless phones and microwave ovens just to name a couple.

There just are so many things to take into account.

korymorgan

Will check this all out when I return from my doctor appt!! Thank you!!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Do they throw you guys a token or two for helping out?

Nope. We are just fellow users like yourself .. just have most likely been down the same road as you and enjoy shortening the "learning curve" if we can.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi again Kory,

To continue .....

Slow speeds and data loss often go to together.

Slow speeds can be the result of FAP

Slow speeds can be the result of a few router settings misconfigured

Slow speeds can be the result of too many devices connected to the network simultaneously

Slow speeds can be the result of one or more unknown background processes using network resources.

Slow speeds can be the result of an overloaded Beam or Gateway.

For some insight into the beam/gateway architecture you may wish to read this topic I started:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/beams-gateways-and-loading-overloading

It is useful to know the location of your gateway because poor weather at your gateway can affect your service just as much as your local conditions.

Assuming no virus or malware issues the biggest threat to data is probably Windows itself/

When it comes to Win10 there is no real schedule as to update frequency. To take the load off the Microsoft update servers MS rolls out updates based in part on your region.

I am for example located in west Michigan but my Gateway location is in Flagstaff AZ and that is the location that I will appear to be located in and so affects which "wave" of updates I will be in.

In Win10 there is no "never" setting for updates. They can be "deferred" in Win Pro and Enterprise versions through group policy ... but in the end ... you get them like it or not.

If your Win10 machine is connected wirelessly you have a bit more control by setting your network type to "metered". That setting will not work on wired connections however.

As to losing data .... There are only two places for that to happen:

On your end ... somewhere within your network

OR

On the Hughes end.

There is a procedure to determine which of the two is the culprit ... its called a "Modem Isolation Test". Here is the official graphic outlining the process:

Basically what we are doing is taking a screengrab of a usage meter and making a careful note of the time..... I prefer this one because of its accuracy:

And then disconnect the LAN cable from the rear of the modem.

A few hours later you then reconnect the LAN cable to the modem, again nothing the time and IMMEDIATLY get another screengrab of the usage meter.

Look at the data remaining in all three categories ... Anytime, Bonus and Token.

Have they changed by anything more than a small amount that could have been used during the startup and login process ?

If so, that would be due to data used by the modem itself while in isolation.

In that event you need to post the before and after screenshots along with the time that the action took place.

The forum Mods can then remotely access your modems internal logs to verify a 13.1.1 error (LAN Disconnect) and proceed as needed from there.

In the event that no data was used during that period we can only conclude that "something" "somewhere" within your network is using data. It then becomes a "whodunit" and there are methods to determine that.

Divide and Conquer is the name of the game ... and it is essential.

A typical "home network" looks like this:

It is much too complicated to determine the "leak"

The Modem has access ... but we already performed an isolation test

The Router "guts" have access

Anything and everything with wireless range .. both authorize AND unauthorized devices COULD have access

Finally all wired computers have access.

During the troubleshooting phase the "network" MUST be reduced to the minimum number of variables.

It needs to have the router removed from the equation so as to look like this:

The number of variables has been brought down to a manageable level.

It now is time to download and install some software to track usage and identify what program and what process is or has been running and using data.

For this we need Glasswire:

https://www.glasswire.com/help/

An important point here .....

GlassWire will only monitor the single computer upon which it is installed.

Later as the router is reintroduced, GlassWire will have to be installed on every Windows computer that is connected to the router

Another point to be made here is that if Windows IS the root of the issue ... it uploads/downloads sporadically .. it may take time to "catch it in the act".

So as to not "torque" the amount of usage displayed by GlassWire we need to change a couple of settings ... we don't need to count (later on when more devices are connected) "local" traffic.

Here are my suggested settings:

(click on picture for larger image)

Understanding the results:

Each computer, one by one needs to go through this process.

Once all wired computers have been "cleared" we can add the router back in to the mix with one major exception .... we have to disable the "radio" ...

We then want to test the "network" consisting of all "cleared" wired devices and the router "guts" to ensure they work well together as a whole.

Now comes the stickey part the re-introduction of the routers wireless function.

Its tough because I know of no software that will load on the variety of devices that CAN connect ... cell phone, tablet and so forth.

On laptop computers you can od course load GlassWire but that still leaves many potential avenues open.

The "Poor Mans" method requires great discipline. ALL devices other than a single one have to be and remain in a "hard off" state and that is not easy to do.

Run that single device over time and monitor usage carefully while still running Glasswire and the "difference" is ... the amount used by THAT device.

Of the devices ... Apple stuff is probably the worst ... VERY large updates on a random basis and the updates are very prone to "break" during download causing them to restart from the beginning ... massive data loss there.

It is essential that the router be properly set up !

Guest access MUST be disabled in the routers internal GUI

No "open network" :  

WPA-PSK [TKIP] encryption at the very minimum !

Clear all devices one by one with the understanding that the usage may be sporadic.

There are higher end routers that WILL track usage by individual device but these may be out of reach (about $200) for the casual user. That is the only way to be SURE of what is going through a network.

Kory, I hope the above info helps you with a sense of direction .. it is all I have at this time.

If you have any questions about any of this .. feel free to post and I will do my best to clarify.