cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Allowance

Data Allowance

I noticed today how extremely slow our connection is. After doing some investigating I found that we are throttled down immensely after our allowance is out. Unfortunately, the rep who signed us up had us believing something entirely different. He had us believing that once our daily is gone the bonus takes over.
We have had a rough beginning with Hughes. Our DL speeds are still way low, especially in the evening. We are working on resolution for that. But now this. I take part of the blame as I should have asked more clarifying questions. But I would like to believe that what I am being told is true and not just for making a sale.
If Hughes could see their way to shooting us some Allowance credit that sure would go along way with us. We're not asking for the entire amount. 10 would make us very happy.
Anyway, I also hope that future customers read this before signing up so that they are well informed. They would be wise to peruse the entire community before siging up. We would have been better informed.
34 REPLIES 34
Honorary Alumnus

Re: Data Allowance

your data allowance is divided into 2 periods:

Anytime Bytes: 8am to 2am local

Bonus Bytes: 2am to 8am

You really have THREE data sources to draw from if you include any amounts from extra cost "Token Bytes"

(click on picture for larger image)

You need to monitor your usage rate so as to pace yourself.

To that end you have three usage meters:

One is internal to the modem and can be accessed by 192.168.0.1

This is known as the SCC (System Control Center)

The second meter is a utility you can download and install. This is known as the Download Status Meter and can be found on your "dashboard":

http://my.hughesnet.com/

Once installed it looks like this:

The third and most accurate is also found after logging into your dashboard and looks like this:

On a data capped service you simply have to monitor and control your usage.

Assistant Professor

Also you can ask to have the sales call reviewed by a representative to hear if you were misled in any way. At $16 for 2 GB you are asking for $80 worth of data for free. Some plans the entire month of Anytime data is 10 GB. Which plan do you have?

Hi Kory,

Thanks for posting! Gwalk and BirdDog's points of advice are very good to follow and keep in mind. Let me dig further and see about pulling your sales call to see what happened.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Yes please do. I'd like to hear it as well.

I have the Ultra plan. 50gb a month. I wouldn't ask for anything really. Not that kind of guy. But I was misled. Now I can't use the Internet to even get to this page. I am using cell phone.
I'd take anything to be able to use internet instead of cell phone. Or match me tokens.
Assistant Professor

Wow! I have Ultra plan also and don't burn through all my 50 GB Anytime bytes even with my wife watching a lot of YouTube and Netflix.
What are you doing and do you have lots of people using it?
Really need to get a handle on the data usage.
No HD video streaming, only SD or low is a good place to start.
Honorary Alumnus

WOW is right !

I also have the 50/50 Ultra plan.

You sure have something going on that I don't. Time to get a handle on what is going on.

BirdDog, I was I had had that info beforehand. I thank you for pointing them out. And yes WOW is right. See, I dont believe for a second I used that much, especially having used almost 25gb in one day.

Because of the issues I have been having out of the box, I have also been talking to the install company who has been helpful. Talking to them a couple weeks after my install, they said it was weird that it wasnt showing I was using ANY data. As soon as my cycle started new the second month two days later it says I used nearly 25GB in one day. Just me and my wife. No way. We havent done anything different than the first month.

I have a laptop, two cell phones and an Ipad the wife uses. My cell phones use mobile data.

I have just had zero luck from the jump. And tech support(Hughes) is no help with language barrier. If i had been a customer for a year or me I wouldnt even be posting about any of this. But the first week in was hell and its only got slightly better. Now I am throttled down so low I cant even bring up Hughes site.

So I go in to my account settings, looking at invoice and what not and I see a 16.00 charge. No idea why. But I assumed maybe they gave me a credit for some tokens. Nope. Apparently I unknowing bought some. I know I didnt. But just a while a go I did so we could get on the internet. 

Anyway, how I go one month with hardly using any data to going over 3 days into my new cycle is mindblowing.

All these great suggestions coming from all these users, one would think that they would do something different up front. Even the "official people" point to you all for helping people out. I beginning to think its because they are not very informed either. Pulling the sales call does nothing if I am not able to hear it too.
Assistant Professor

The first month of service the first 20 days are unlimited to allow for updating computers and devices. That is probably why you noticed such a difference between the first and second month of service.
There are all kinds of things thy can use very large amounts of data like iCloud and syncing of any kind. If using Windows 10 there are things that must be turned off to prevent it from using lots of data. Streaming video in HD will use large amounts of data.