Data Depletion Test

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maximus
Freshman

Data Depletion Test

My data is depleting at such a rate that by the time I return to the service location (this is a 2nd home) on Sat 1/13 I will have no data left to take a screen shot in order to complete the data depletion test as is required by Hughesnet before they will recognize there is a data issue. Both screen shots will show 0%.... Does support have any suggestions. 

10 REPLIES 10
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Maximus

With you not being at the location often to be able to troubleshoot, the best thing you can do is disconnect all devices and add them back one by one, with each being separated by some time so you can pinpoint what is using the data.  But, in order to see, of course, you'd need data.  

Do you have a satellite TV receiver connected to the service?  Possibly a device that is connecting to the cloud on a regular basis?  Perhaps a gaming console that is downloading updates?  

Without having data available a modem isolation test isn't going to tell you anything, as you know.  It's possible that tech support may give you a token in order to be able to run the test, but the problem with that is that they aren't on during the weekend, and if they add one on Friday, from the sounds of it it would be gone by the time you got there on Saturday.

Really, because of the situation, my advice would be to buy a token and run the test when you're there.  Or, better yet, buy a token and add the devices back, one by one, until you find the culprit(s).  The reason I say the latter is that I highly doubt any data is leaking and I am almost positive you'll find that something is actually using it, though that can be a pain to figure out, no doubt.  If you're there for a few days during the week after the 13th, again, the reps may give you a token so that you'll have data to run the test and/or find the culprit(s) by process of elimination. 

One thing to keep in mind. With many of today's devices off doesn't really mean off,  but instead off means standby.  This is especially true of a sat TV receiver, and the ones from DirecTV can chew through data very quickly.  I'm not sure about Dish Network receivers.  So many people have discovered this the hard way, unfortunately.  😞    

Also, regarding the suggestion in the above reply, it's factually impossible for local, non internet connected data transfers to be counted by HughesNet, so it's definitely not that.  Only data that comes in from the coax cable connected to the HughesNet dish and goes out via LAN cable or WiFi to a device, or the reverse, can be counted by HughesNet.  

Let me make this simple for you. The house is empty there are no cell phones, laptops, tablets or satellite TV connected to the cloud. 

The only single device connected to the Hughesnet modem is an Arlo security camera.

This is a motion activated camea that only would use data when and if motion is detected.

This maybe occur once a month or 30 day cycle.

When motion is detected the Arlo camera transmitts a 15 second video clip so I can remotely see the activity at the house. When there is no motion the system is dormanant.

Once a day i manually log on for 1-2 minutes to check the feed. I note the time when I check the feed and this is consistent with the Hughenet "Check my Usage" hourly report which shows a bump up to 15-26Mbs for that hour. The same usage report seems to be in sync with the Hughesnet usage meter as far as data use goes.

Arlo will also do a system update but this is a single isolated event which takes place once every month or so.

Bottom line 2Gbs of data have been used in the last few days with the house empty and no connected devices other than the above noted. The Hughesnet hourly usage breakdown reports data use of between 8-30Mbs per hour, every hour ...every day

Buying tokens to add devices back in one by one makes no sense since there is only one device and there is no physical way this one device can be consuming this much data in such a short period of time. 

I would also point out this increase in data consumption every hour began 3-4 weeks ago. The first few weeks showed no hourly usage under the same circumstances. My service was installed 10/28/2017.

I have on line chatted and called customer service and tech support no less than 20 times. Track every day data use and have done 100 speed tests both Hughesnet and 3rd party.

End result no explaination for data consumption and speeds significantly less than what was advertised. 

Hows 1-11Mbps on the down and 1.5-2Mbps on the up sound. 

I would be happy to provide you with both the speed test results and data use reports.

One last point Hughesnet has 2 reports which track data use the "Check my usage" hourly report which is tracked by the Site ID # and the Usage meter on the Hughenet web site. I am not sure what additional non internet connected data transfers there could physically be. 

I had Verizon DSL since we are in such a remote area. Verizon offered 1-3Mbps up and down. This was faster and more reliable than what Hughenet is providing at this point.

I am running out of options and would prefer not to go the Federal agency or NYS AGs office route but I dont seem to be getting anything resolved. 

Not sure we got anything accomplished but thanks for your time.

M

Did you ever disconnect the Arlo?  

Yank that and see if the data use goes away.

My guess that device is using data if it is live, even if only motion detected, it still may be using data.  Maybe a periodic poll for its online feed.

With all the speed issues Hughes has had since you joined, and 20 day grace period of data that would not have shown you real use, maybe that is part reason it seemed OK at first but now weeks later daily use shows.

If it were me, go back to square 1.... no device connected and see if data is used.  Then add Arlo back and my bet, you will see data use.

That is at least just my opinion as an end-user.

TJ

Reason I say the above... when I was on AT&T local cell internet, something was using about 30MB per hour when I was not using the internet.  Come to find out my Time Capsule, which has routing capabilities too that I did not think would affect anything, was using data.  My AT&T modem/router was doing its thing but this 2nd router, although not the main one and I thought I set it in bridge mode, was using data the whole darn time.  Makes me think the Arlo is your culprit... polling the internet feed every so many tics and has to be if it is the only device connected.  We may not like it but it seems to be the case unless data is shown being gobbled up w/o it connected. 

Quick google search someone else complaining the Arlo using lots of data.  No answers on why but goes to show someone else experiencing lots of data being used.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/938715

Did you call the maker of Arlo and ask their tech department how much data Arlo uses in standy... just connected to an internet feed.  Maybe someone there can tell you how much it uses.  Maybe there are settings for adjusting that to something less... who knows.

TJ

The link references the Arlo Go Camera system. Different animal. 

Thanks for the feedback but heres the deal.

Netgear Arlo camera and base station use data 1 of 3 ways

1. When a motion activated event takes place the cameras begins recording and transmitts an E Mail notifcation.

You can pre set the duration of the recording. Mine is set to 15 seconds then shuts off.

This happens once a month. We are very remote.

2. You can remotley access the cameras in real time and watch the feed.

I do this 2 maybe 3 times a day for 1sometimes 2 minutes

3. Arlo updates the system. Which takes palce once every month or so.

Both the Hughesnet Usage meter and the Hughesnet "Check My Usage" hour by hour log both report 2 Gbs of data have been used in the last several days. I remind you this is with an empty house an no device other than Arlo powered.

My Check My Usage hour log shows data being used every hour between 7-30Mbs. 

Please let me know I can send you the daily reports showing hourly usage.

As an FYI Netgear reports for a 10 second video clip to record and be watched uses 2Mbs of data.

Please do the math and get back to me, it doesnt add up.

Thanks

Neither @GabeU or I work for Hughes.  We are just customers like you offering suggestions.

You may want to contact a mod like @Liz or @Amanda

I hear all that you are saying but the bottom-line to me, as a user and also experience loss of data to the tune of 30MB per hour when I felt I was doing nothing.  Come to find a device was still using data when I did not.

The ONLY way I think you can confirm 100% your modem is using data all by its lonesome is to take ALL device off.  That means your Arlo.  Does data still get used Yes or No.

It seems rather a simple test to do.  Sure if takes your time and maybe weeks before you get up there again but at least you are progressing past what Hughes has help you with so far.

Seems logical to take the 1 device off 100% so you know 100% it is not the culprit.

Good luck with your issues.  That is all my end user neighborly advice I know of and at least thought I would chime in.

To me, ALL devices that connect to the internet use data, and I would bet that Arlo polls the network every so often to say, "hey I am here still".  Use me.  View me.  That can use data in my opinion.

Anyway, have a nice one.  Hopefully you can ask one of the two mods I mentioned before advise.

TJ

As a follow up to yesterday let me add one more fact to the equation.

Netgear Arlo Tech support told me more than once in no uncertain terms that if the 3 circumstances mentioned in the previous Email (repeated below) are not taking place then no data is being consumed. They were amused when i mentioned that 7-30Mbs per hour were being used in an empty house with nothing other than Arlo connected.

I think that says all that needs to be said.

Netgear Arlo camera and base station use data 1 of 3 ways

1. When a motion activated event takes place the cameras begins recording and transmitts an E Mail notifcation.

You can pre set the duration of the recording. Mine is set to 15 seconds then shuts off.

This happens once a month. We are very remote.

2. You can remotley access the cameras in real time and watch the feed.

I do this 2 maybe 3 times a day for 1sometimes 2 minutes

3. Arlo updates the system. Which takes palce once every month or so.

Lastly If you and Gabe are not somehow connected to Hughesnet let me officially nominate you both for sainthood. To spend so many hours every day giving advise to so many in the Hughesnet community , well lets just say it would make Mother Theresa proud... All the best

@Maximus wrote:

Lastly If you and Gabe are not somehow connected to Hughesnet let me officially nominate you both for sainthood. To spend so many hours every day giving advise to so many in the Hughesnet community , well lets just say it would make Mother Theresa proud... All the best

@GabeU has been doing it a long time along with others... I just joined this group a week or two before you did.  I signed up to Gen 5 and had it installed Sept 27th.

I joined because like many because I am having issues... so I am just a bloke in NorCal and have no affiliation with Hughes other than being a customer.  And if you read my posts elsewhere, you will see I am having issues... slow slow slow speed.  I am on beam 55 that apparently has issues.  So I clocked a 75K download speed a couple nights ago.  Have no seen over 1Mbps for a while.  All my daily speeds are in the 300 to 500K range.

So yeh, since I am here keeping an eye on any fixes for me, I figure I can join the community.  That is what this group is.... friends helping friends.  There are Hughes employees here but not many that I know of.  The two mods I discussed earlier are the ones that can make official statements for you and Hughes, not us.

Anyway, hope you get to the bottom of your issue.  Must say it surprises me a device on the net can use "zero" data in standy mode.  I would think, like most any other devices, if you have the capability to connect remotely, it has to be listening.  That listening for your online connection means it should be using data.  I can't say how much but would think it has to.  But I am not tech.  Just a dude in NorCal with speed issues on Hughes.  hehe

Good luck!

TJ 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Maximus wrote:

Thank you for the compliment.  I came here originally to ask peoples' opinions of Gen4 as I was finally contemplating upgrading from my daily refill legacy plan.  This was in early 2016.  I then became like that stray cat that sticks around once you feed it just one time.  LOL  😛