cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Drain

Alum

Re: Data Drain

Hi Janet,

If my response sounds canned be assured that all the information I presented is relevant to your situation. It is posted so often, yet not many customers actually read and take the time to look into each aspect of what typically fixes our clients issues. A customer will read numerous threads with this depicted and when they finally decide to create a post for themselves these steps have not been attempted.

These initial steps are black and white. Either it is on our end, or something within your network. We have to concretely confirm which of these two circumstances is true before we move on to correctly assess your site. Thank you for posting your serial. I wanted you to be able to have the flexibility with what has been suggested so I will be adding some token bandwidth to your account. You'll have plenty to download the status meter and continue troubleshooting with us. We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we help to address your concerns.

Thank you,
Chris

So it looks like I should fork out another $71 for another month of service and hope like hell I can get the status meter downloaded before I run out of data in hopes that I catch the data sucking demon. If I'm lucky I might have enough data left to check my email before data runs out and then I can wait another 20 days to see if it worked.  I am not trying to be difficult I just don't have money to burn.  I will go ahead and unplug the modem but since I don't have any data left I won't have any way of knowing if it "is burning data on its own" and is frankly an exercise in futility.   
Alum

Hi Janet,

I'm guessing you posted almost at the same time as me. I have added bandwidth to your account so that we can get to the bottom of this promptly. 

Thanks,
Chris

Thank-you Chris. I will download the status meter and perform the test.
Alum

You're welcome. Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Not sure how much bandwidth you added but I used it up part way through downloading status meter. However I was able to complete download and am getting ready to disconnect lan. Will post results tomorrow.

First screenshot was taken on 2-25-16 @ 5:47 pm when I disconnected LAN.  Second screenshot was taken on 2-26-16 @ 8:05 am when I reconnected LAN. Thanks for all your help with this.

Honorary Alumnus

Janet,

Your disconnect period started during your "Anytime Bytes" period with you having 8GB of Token Data available and you still had the same 8 GB of Token Bytes available upon reconnection. That means that no data was used between your 5:47 PM disconnect and 2:00 AM when any usage would have been deducted from you Bonus Bytes.

Your Bonus Bytes period started at 2:00 AM and continued until 8:00 AM. You started the period with only 146 MB having been used at that point and still had only used 146 MB upon reconnection. Therefore no data had been consumed during that period either.

On that basis one must conclude that the data loss is occurring on your end of the network.

My suggestion is to disconnect your router entirely during this troubleshooting phase and connect a single computer directly to the Hughes modem.

On that single computer download and install GlassWire:

https://www.glasswire.com/

Use the following as a guide to set up Glasswire :

(click on picture for larger image)

GlassWire will then display what programs and processes were running and how much data they used and when.

The time of usage is displayed at the bottom:

Monitor your usage in this way for several days.

This will tell us if there is "something" on this computer or not.

If yes, it will be identified and we can take steps to curb its usage.

If no, then we need to delve further into your router, its settings and finally what devices are connecting wirelessly.

Alum

Couldn't have put it better myself, thanks Gwalk! Janet, please take some time and follow the instructions laid out. Glasswire is one of the best ways to track exactly what is causing your unidentified data usage. With no data used during this time frame of LAN disconnect, we can conclude that there is nothing wrong with your equipment. Now what is left is to find the major culprit within your network, then using your service will become steam lined. Keep us posted.

Thank you,
Chris

Glasswire sounds fabulous but I just tried to download and it is incompatible with Vista. Obviously I need to upgrade OS and have put it off. Would you upgrade to Windows 7?