Data Loss and Glasswire

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
poohbear
New Poster

Data Loss and Glasswire

My data is going out like crazy. We have the biggest plan you can get and yet all our data is gone with 6 days left, who knows how long ago it all disappeared. I have Glass  wire installed and there is more data going out then coming in. How can I tell where my data is going and how can I stop it? When I check the data usage meter, it keeps saying it's tryiong to connect to the modem or that no modem is found. We have not unplugged/moved anything so I don't understand why it can't find the modem. I'm not very computer literate but know most of the basics. Help!!

4 REPLIES 4
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@poohbear

On Glasswire, when on the Usage tab and on the All setting, set your options (clickable thing to the upper right of circle graph) to Outgoing Only.  You should also have it set to External (always, not just for this).  This way, you can see exactly where your data is going.  Normally you want it set to "Incoming & Outgoing" and "External", but for this set the first one to "Outgoing Only".  That way, you can see exactly where your data is going.  It would also be a good idea to set your parameters to Customer (on the upper right), then click the dates in your monthly cycle, clicking the first date, then the second date, and the data shown will span those two dates.  You''ll see on the picture below for my computer I have it set to my dates and to External and Outgoing Only.  This way, again, you can see just where your outgoing data is going, and how, as in via browser or computer processes, etc.  

Is the device you have Glasswire installed on the only device you have connected to HughesNet?  Glasswire only monitors the data of the device it's installed on.  

Screenshot (29).jpg

As for your modem not being found, if you're connected via WiFi try moving your device closer to the modem.  It might also be a good idea to power cycle your modem and the device you're using.  Unplug the modem, then shut down the device you're using.  Wait about a minute, then plug the modem back in.  Wait about five minutes, then start your device.  Then see if it can find the modem.  

If it still can't find the modem, try with a device that's connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable, if you have one with which you can do so.  If you're already on a device that's connected via LAN cable, then it may very well be something the reps will have to look into.  The data usage, on the other hand, is something we should be able to figure out.  

GabeU

@poohbear

A couple of other things.  If your device is using Windows 10, make sure to turn off syncing, do not use OneDrive (even uninstall it), and make sure that you have "Delivery Optimization" turned off in your Update settings.  

To turn off Syncing, go to Settings > Accounts > Sync Your Settings.  Turn it off.  

To turn off Delivery Optimization, go to Settings > Update & Security > Avanced Options > Delivery Optimization.  Turn it off.  

To uninstall OneDrive, go to Settings > Apps.  Then scroll to OneDrive, click on it and uninstall it.  I'm doing this one from memory, so if I'm a little off I apologize.  

These three things can use a lot of outgoing data, so it's good to turn them off or, in the case of OneDrive, uninstall it, though OneDrive doesn't really do anything unless you set it up manually.  I just find it better to uninstall it, regardless.  

maratsade

LOL, I tagged you under 3rd party products -- I didn't see this conversation.

GabeU

@poohbear

Please set up Glasswire like I showed in the picture, but using your data cycle start date through today.  Then, maximize it to get the most info, and post a picture a snapshot of it in here so we can help you.

You can either use the snipping tool built into Windows, or use press the Windows button and PrintScreen button at the same time to take a screenshot.  The screenshots are automatically saved in a screenshot folder in your pictures folder.