cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Loss

Assistant Professor

Re: Data Loss

Lost cause as far as I'm concerned. Does nothing anyone mentions to try. Again, router firmware? 

Well, I mean, you are going to use your data one way or the other... You just need to find a good balance to keep it steady so you don't go over (or get a plan with SmartBrowsing). A lot of people who moved from non-Gen4 plans to a Gen4 plan have found their data just zipping away, but it is actually because the service is faster that they can zoom through it pretty quick!

From what I understand on your list, you have a wife and kids at home who probably all have WiFi devices and like to do all the things, right? Videos, pictures, Facebook, and all that stuff? What I have seen works best from experience here in the community is communicating with the other people in the house and explaining how the service works and why it is important to stretch out data.
Keep in mind there are things like Nightshift that lets you download Netflix shows and movies during the bonus hours while you sleep, YouTube Red has a similar new program where you can watch videos offline at a later time and there was a post recently about a Firefox addon that lets you schedule downloads. I'm curious why #5 is on this list?

Data loss as you've listed it here is actually no different that what some people would call... using your service.

Thanks
Amanda
Assistant Professor

Capped data just like a cell phone, have to manage it just like a cell phone. How it is, either have to learn to manage it or be perpetually frustrated.

sgoshe if you think it or I am a lost cause then keep your comments to yourself or find someone you think is not a lost cause and help them...
Thanks Bob...

This was a bit of a joke...
I see you all are not of the joking kind...
Please forgive me...
Assistant Professor

Not a problem, good luck.
Honorary Alumnus

To be quite frank, data loss is not a joke. At least to a novice user ....

They come here frustrated, angry ... just plain downright mad.

Now the thing is ... Hughes supplies ISP services ... it really stops at the modems LAN port.

No ISP can provide more than just token support for "networking"....

That is where your fellow users such as myself, Charles, the other Charles, Sgoshe and Alan among others come in ....

As fellow users, we have been in your shoes, we understand the Hughes systems, we understand computers and we understand "networking" and will go to any length to provide detailed one-on one networking support that goes beyond the Hughes ISP LAN port.

When we provide an outline or some guided steps to help eliminate YOUR issue and you belittle and ignore those efforts on your behalf, your right, it is no joke.

The preponderance of evidence points to HN and GEN 4...
I am sorry if I look at things differently than the rest of you...
I will continue what you all suggest and if I find that I was or am wrong I will be the first to apologize to HN and to the last person that suggested something that actually worked...
Does it mean if I find and fix the problem that I can spend a little more time online to do some genealogical research or do I have to have eyes in the back of my head and still concern myself with the data usage which I never had a problem with before GEN 4...
Yes I said it again...GEN 4...
By the way I have been on HN for years but GEN 4 for not quite 2 years...

As I said...I have and I will continue to try the suggestions that are made here...
I have tried a number of them to no avail...
For anyone on here to think I don't want to find a fix is living in a dream world...
You really think I enjoy spending my time here talking with all of you...
I am not a teenager in my mamma's basement...
I am a 70 year old man that has seen and done a lot in my lifetime and I can tell you asking and answering questions on here is one of the things I can do without in my life...
I will find the culprit in due time...maybe not in your timeline but in mine...
Thank you all for your time and efforts to school me on this...
Advanced Tutor

Robert

Do you have a program installed to track your data usage ?