cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Saver Will Not turn Off

Highlighted
Sophomore

Data Saver Will Not turn Off

Hello, For several days now, I have been trying to toggle DATA SAVER off. I log onto the website, and click the toggle. I have also done this on the HN app on my phone. Both ways allow be to toggle it off. but with 12hours / next day, it is back on. Can I turn it off permanently? And no I am not using the 4hr snooze feature. I click the main on/off button. Thanks! Brian
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: Data Saver Will Not turn Off

Good morning Bugman2112,

Thanks for posting and sharing your experience. This sounds interesting; I pulled up your account and I see that your VDS was last changed this morning at 9:45AM and currently it's off. Let's leave it that way and see if it switches back to on 12 hrs later without your involvement. I'll inquire on our side to ensure there isn't anything being worked on regarding VDS.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Sophomore

Hello, Just checked it, and it is back on...enabled
Highlighted
Sophomore

Also, I would like to add a bit more info. I have now tried all three ways of controlling this. Logging onto the website, Android APP, and now the widows program. All three of these allow me to toggle on/off. But at some point, it gets turned back on automatically. -BT
Highlighted

Good morning Bugman2112,

Thank you for this update, let me check in with the engineers about this. I'll post back once I have any news to share.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Sophomore

Any update on this? I notice that I the status and option of data saver no longer appears on the web page, Windows App, or Android App. Should we assume that to address bandwidth issues a permanent reduction in video quality has been implemented? Apologies if this is already in another thread. I read about prioritization efforts, but I didn't realize this was part of that effort?
Highlighted

Hi Bugman2112,

Thank you for your patience while we looked into this for you. You are correct, we have implemented a variety of optimizations in an effort to improve network efficiency while many of our customers work and learn from home. Some of the adjustments may affect video streaming resolution, however you can temporarily opt out of this by snoozing your Video Data Saver feature when using streaming services. 

So you should still have the ability to toggle VDS, it shouldn't be gone completely. I just checked your settings from my end and they're visible. If it's still missing for you, can you please provide a screenshot?

Thanks,

Liz

Highlighted
Sophomore

OK, I know this is going to sound crazy, but I swear mid-day the Video Saver option was non-existent while logged into the website, on my Android App, and on the Windows App. In fact, it timed out on the my Android phone and said "video settings not available at this time" Now at 8pm EST, all those locations have the Video Saver option back. Wondering if this is a work-day COVID action, to limit it during the day. Anyway, I don't want to detract from others on this forum who are having more serious issues. I just thought it would be worth mentioning and understanding why. I am working from home again Friday. If the option disappears again, I will certainly take some screenshots. Thanks! -Brian
Highlighted

Good morning Brian,

Thank you for letting me know the VDS option is back to normal now! Please don't hesitate to post again, your concerns are valid and I appreciate you bringing this particular one to our attention. The community is here to help or if you want to help others. Smiley Happy I'll leave your thread open the rest of this week and close it at the end of the day Friday if you don't post back.

-Liz