cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
helloworld
Spectator

Data Throttling Despite Having Data Tokens

Hello,

My connection is being throttled despite having purchased data tokens. I reached out to support but this ended up being an absolute waste of time, with the support agent ultimately the just jerking me around before finally ignoring me.

Screenshots of the chat support and speed tests here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/thzx0t368sz5ano/AABEC2cpIMoHrHoaxEXkbSmDa?dl=0

I assume there is a glitch in the system that otherwise would have removed the data throttling.

Regardless of activity, I cannot get past 10-15 KBps which is effectively unusable. I spent $30 for the extra 10GB, which to my understanding is not throttled, yet I am receiving throttled speeds.

So what's the deal?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@helloworld 

Edited:

The first thing to do would be to check to see if the tokens are even showing in your token data available.  You can check here (you may need to refresh the page or click on Home on the left to see the data levels).  You can also check on the Usage page of the HughesNet My Account site.  If you are using the HughesNet Usage Meter, you can also check there in the "Token Bytes Available" line.  

If you are seeing tokens available, meaning that they have been added and are ready to kick in when you've exhausted your plan data, you should proceed with the speed tests below.  If not, do not run the tests, as they will be a waste of time.  

--------------------------------

To get help with speed issues, please run some speed tests using this protocol.  Then please post your testmy.net "My Results" URL into a reply so the test results can be viewed.

Since you are trying to demonstrate that tokens are not properly being applied, you should only need a few tests, but they will need to be run as instructed to ensure accuracy.

Gabe,

Please check the screenshots that I linked to...

You can see that the data tokens are present as well as the speed test results.

However, here's the link-
https://testmy.net/compID/17030149474907

I've already jumped through the hoops.

I have the data tokens and my internet connection is being thottled. This didn't kick in until the regular usage crossed the 100% threshold and started comsuming my data tokens.

Thank you.

GabeU

@helloworld 

I've since edited my post to include more information.  

Please note the red boxes in the following pics...

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

If you're not seeing the Token data you purchased in the red boxes, it hasn't been added.  If this is the case, please let us know.  If you do see it, and you are out of Service Plan data, but there is no indication that you are presently using that Token Data (the bullseye next to the Token Data will be lit in the first pic), please let us know.  If you are out of Service Plan data and the Token Data is showing, and there is an indication that it is presently being used, please proceed with running a few speed tests as outlined in the instructions to demonstrate that, although you are currently drawing from the Data Tokens you just purchased, you are still be throttled as if you weren't.   

@GabeU 

Did you not look at the screenshots that I linked to?

Again... I have Data Tokens. They are active and being used. The throttling did not begin until they started being consumed...

2020-09-26 19_00_02-Photos.png2020-09-26 18_42_17-Usage.png

I can't really be more clear here...

1) The data tokens are active and being utilized.

2) My internet speeds are being throttled.

This is clearly demonstrated in my screenshots and the speed test results per your guidelines.

Thanks.

GabeU

@helloworld 

Yes, I did look at your dropbox pics.  The last pic you posted here was helpful.  For some reason the tokens were cut off in the dropbox version.  For the future, please post any pertinent pics here.    

To proceed, please run a few speed tests as outlined in the linked instructions.  They will need to be run as instructed for them to be of use to the reps here.  The tests you've run thus far may have been of help to the phone/chat reps, but the reps here will need them to be run as instructed.  Both download and upload would also be of benefit. 

Also, though it's unlikely, as we don't tend to run speed tests unless we need to, if you have any recent speed tests from when you had data and were not throttled, they may be of benefit for comparative purposes.  If not, that's okay.

@GabeU 

I tried unplugging the modem for a number of hours hoping this would settle itself, so the test results have a different ID now from the link I posted before.

It's still definitely being throttled.

https://testmy.net/compID/52809870487267

I've performed tests as outlined in https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

... with the exception of the 25MB download. As it is, the throttling makes this test literally impossible. The test just stalls altogether about 10 minutes in around 6MB. Plus you're literally asking for hours of testing at the current ~10KBps rate. So I've done some lower values, but the results are consistent with the test results you asked me to take earlier. Any speed tests I take across any test provider are giving me the same results, including the Hughesnet test in my initial screenshots.

Interestingly, the upload rate ranges from 10x to 15x faster than the average download speeds. So clearly there is something happening with my download speed.

The internet service is already $160 a month. Unexpected updates used most of my monthly allotment so I bought the $30 10GB data token. As soon as my regular service allotment ran out today, data use shifted into the Data token pool-- at a noticiably throttled rate; from regular service around a typical 250KB to around 10KB.

I'm not unhappy with the service, I just want it to work as advertised. This is clearly just a glitch on Hughsnet end for whatever automated process makes the switch to Data Tokens that didn't that flag/unflag the data throttling on my account. The tokens were purchased ahead of time, so I didn't expect any issues when the regular service allotment ran out. As soon as it crossed over to Data Tokens-- immediate data throttling.

I am a paying customer. The thing I bought isn't working. It clearly wasn't working when I reached out to chat and was cut off by support, or when I started this thread. I don't see how this could be more possibly clearly demonstrated. If this doesn't deserve escalation for somebody to check this out, I give up. If you're going to throttle data anyways, then just refund the token.

"
2020-09-26 22_15_36-Usage.png

"

Full service speed is a nice 10-15KB maximum.

Thanks for your help.

2020-09-26 21_44_05-Mozilla Firefox.png

GabeU

@helloworld 

The reps will have to help you.  They're on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST.  They usually respond within a working day.  

On a separate note, though the 25MB download test can't finish due to low speed, there's no reason to ignore the rest of the testing instructions, including the very first line.  The test instructions are what they are for a reason, and they're simple to follow.  

Good luck to you.

@GabeU 

Thanks for trying.

Good morning helloworld,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'd like to look into this, please private message me your SAN (account number) or the associated phone number.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi helloworld, 

We're closing this thread since I never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!