Data Tracking and usage

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevewtaylor
New Poster

Data Tracking and usage

Out of the blue we started "using" almost 20mb/hr daytime data even though we have not changed anything.We are gone during the day. Both computers are shut off  and both cell phones off premises. I was reviewing the data usage and comparing different hours and days usage to find where the data is going. Now we are given a "new" data graph to monitor usage. I see no way to track data hourly past your current day which has the hours out of order and lags a few hours behind. It seems Hughesnet does not want us to be able to track our data. We also have the daytime minutes all mixed in with the bonus minutes. Many of us can't use many bonus minutes because of the ridiculous hours given for them, so how about a way to view the data separately? When I called about the data usage, they continually suggested we purchase more data. I told them right now I was more concerned about where the data I have is going! I put it all on a power strip and turn the whole damned mess off when not using it. The old data tracker was a pain to decipher totals used for certain times and compare to different days, but now they won't even let us do that with their "improvements." Calling in for assistance only opens you up for sales pitches.
6 REPLIES 6
Liz

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting, I can understand your frustration with the new data usage graphs. We hear you and our developers are going to make some changes over the weekend to address the out of order hours.

If you really want to know what's using your data, you may want to look into using a third-party data monitoring program to help you pinpoint the programs on your PC that use the most data. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it: https://www.glasswire.com

Please keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook
or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD:https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member:https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

And do you have Windows 10?
stevewtaylor
New Poster

One computer uses Windows 10. We try to have everything ask permission before updating and do those things early morning on bonus minutes. Why do you ask about windows 10? BTW, both computers were turned off during the day when the data is being used.

And what was wrong with the other data tracker that allowed you to actually track when your data was being used and how much hourly. Can we have that back please? That was something actually usable. If it broke out separately the anytime minutes from the bonus minutes would be even better.
CommunityWorklo
New Poster

Understood, Steve. I can certainly send up your suggestion to our developers.

Our current usage charts still show data usage by the hour, albeit in a different format from before. The hours are along the bottom and instead of having separate graphs for downloads and uploads, we've consolidated them into one for convenience.

-Liz
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Just an idea, but perhaps you could also disconnect the LAN cable from your router when you are gone during the day, or simply turn it off completely.