Data Usage Draining & Slow Internet Speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kimberly
New Poster

Data Usage Draining & Slow Internet Speed

I purchased a token yesterday because our data was drained. When I went to bed, I had 1.6 GB token bytes available. I get up this morning at 7:30 AM & notice that after the 5 AM refresh for 500 MB, it was already at 34%. By 8:30 AM it was completely depleted. Then I checked the token bytes availability and it was already at 402 MB & it is currently depleting. And during this time my kids were at work until they got home around 4 AM. And by that time, we're in the Free Time Period. I've noticed from 5 AM to 7 AM the internet gets so-so-so-slow. Worse than dial-up speed. Please fix the problem. At 9:42 AM my token bytes available at this current time is 335 MB. I've also noticed that when the 192.168.xxx.xxx refreshes it takes data when it's not suppose to.
5 REPLIES 5
Liz

Good morning Kimberly,

Thank you for your post, we want to address your concerns. Please read the information here and follow the instructions to determine where the problem lies: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/wheres-my-bytes-how-to-test-for-data-leaks

Then you may post your screenshots here in your thread. If there's usage when the HughesNet modem is isolated, I have no issue with escalating your case.

You may want to consider a third-party data monitoring program to help you pinpoint the programs on your PC that use the most data. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it: https://www.glasswire.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Kimberly
New Poster

Liz,

I did as instructed and here are my results based on the token bytes. Since my data was already used up.

I've already spent more than I should have in tokens over the past few days. And since I've hooked it back up it has been dropping, I'm currently at 371 MB and it's only 11:44 PM

Thanks,
Kimberly
Wadebear

We had a bandwidth leak.  It turned out to be my husband's computer.  It was connecting to a number of services in the background and eating up our monthly allotment.

To determine where your bandwidth is going disconnect all your computers and turn off all your network devices: smart phones, tablets, smart TVs, BlueRay players, etc.  Plug them in one at a time and watch your bandwidth meter at 192.168.0.1 (this is the modem's web page).

Piece of advice: turn automatic updates OFF on any tablets and smart phones.  Those updates can eat your data allowance for lunch.
Liz

Hi Kimberly, 

I highly suggest using Glasswire to see exactly which programs are using your data and how much since we cannot tell what used your data after the fact; we can only tell you how much data you have left.

I sent you some complimentary tokens so you can download Glasswire and get accustomed to it, so you may get an e-mailed order confirmation for the free tokens.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Kimberly,

Here is a repost with some tips on set up and using GlassWire:

There can be many reasons for losing data. In the end though it can only be either on the Hughes end or on the users end,

You should run a modem isolation test to see if it is on the Hughes end,

Here is the official graphic:

Follow the steps above and post screenshots of the before/after usage meter and the disconnect/connect times.

If you find that no usage occurs with all of your networked equipment disconnected we have to conclude that the usage is caused by something within your network.

While the following is a repost I think the steps apply to your situation as well:

In the event that no data was used during that period we can only conclude that "something" "somewhere" within your network is using data. It then becomes a "whodunit" and there are methods to determine that.

Divide and Conquer is the name of the game ... and it is essential.

A typical "home network" looks like this:

It is much too complicated to determine the "leak"

The Modem has access ... but we already performed an isolation test

The Router "guts" have access

Anything and everything with wireless range .. both authorize AND unauthorized devices COULD have access

Finally all wired computers have access.

During the troubleshooting phase the "network" MUST be reduced to the minimum number of variables.

It needs to have the router removed from the equation so as to look like this:

The number of variables has been brought down to a manageable level.

It now is time to download and install some software to track usage and identify what program and what process is or has been running and using data.

For this we need Glasswire:

https://www.glasswire.com/ help/

An important point here .....

GlassWire will only monitor the single computer upon which it is installed.

Later as the router is reintroduced, GlassWire will have to be installed on every Windows computer that is connected to the router

Another point to be made here is that if Windows IS the root of the issue ... it uploads/downloads sporadically .. it may take time to "catch it in the act".

So as to not "torque" the amount of usage displayed by GlassWire we need to change a couple of settings ... we don't need to count (later on when more devices are connected) "local" traffic.

Here are my suggested settings:

(click on picture for larger image)

Understanding the results:

Each computer, one by one needs to go through this process.

Once all wired computers have been "cleared" we can add the router back in to the mix with one major exception .... we have to disable the "radio" ...

We then want to test the "network" consisting of all "cleared" wired devices and the router "guts" to ensure they work well together as a whole.

Now comes the stickey part the re-introduction of the routers wireless function.

Its tough because I know of no software that will load on the variety of devices that CAN connect ... cell phone, tablet and so forth.

On laptop computers you can od course load GlassWire but that still leaves many potential avenues open.

The "Poor Mans" method requires great discipline. ALL devices other than a single one have to be and remain in a "hard off" state and that is not easy to do.

Run that single device over time and monitor usage carefully while still running Glasswire and the "difference" is ... the amount used by THAT device.

Of the devices ... Apple stuff is probably the worst ... VERY large updates on a random basis and the updates are very prone to "break" during download causing them to restart from the beginning ... massive data loss there.

It is essential that the router be properly set up !

Guest access MUST be disabled in the routers internal GUI

No "open network" :  

WPA-PSK [TKIP] encryption at the very minimu m !

Clear all devices one by one with the understanding that the usage may be sporadic.

There are higher end routers that WILL track usage by individual device but these may be out of reach (about $200) for the casual user. That is the only way to be SURE of what is going through a network.