cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage Help?

Data Usage Help?

I JUST joined Hughesnet a few days ago. Im not used to capped internet, future plans of dropping the cap?, so I've been watching CLOSELY. I used the 192. "code" in the web search bar to pull up my info until i could download the status bar.
Its reset EVERYDAY. Is this normal?! Im trying to TRACK my usage so i don't go over but it keeps refilling the bars? I don't understand.
I searched previous convos on this board regarding the same question and they sent her to a page where you enter your SAN and date which i did but, i don't understand what any of it means. Guess i thought the data tracker was suppose to TRACK your DATA? 
Help?
29 REPLIES 29
Assistant Professor

Re: Data Usage Help?

Mistyblades, they basically give you unlimited data for something like 7-10 days (maybe less) so you can download updates if your computer has been offline for some time. The meters will keep resetting during that time.
Have to monitor closely as one day they will quit resetting.
This is something I wish they would make new customers aware off. None of the reps have ever posted what the actual policy is as far as I know when it comes to time-frame.

HA! Ive noticed more and more in the last couple days some surprises. They let you "figure out" quite a bit... 
Well, Thank YOU for letting me know.. Here Ive been trying to "do without" so I don't go over a cap... HA... 
Assistant Professor

Yea, just be very careful and watch it often as it will eventually kick in. Enjoy it while it lasts!  Smiley Happy

Hi mistyblades,

We generally allow this time because many of our customers have never had internet before! The first few days of getting new internet service will invoke alot of computer and app updates, so we try to avoid our customers using up their months bandwidth in the first few days because of that Smiley Happy

Thanks,
Amanda
Highlighted
Tutor

Amanda, what does "first few days" mean?

Amanda: It would be a really, really, really good idea if the HughesNet folk would develop a "Welcome, New Subscriber" package (or collect all the stuff on a unique domain Web site--in other words, not hung off one of the many existing Hughes sites) that provides all the information a newbie would be expected to find of interest.  You can't expect the installer to spend time covering everything, but newbies are simply on their own--they don't even know of the superior support here. Your marketing folks could do a good job of packaging all this stuff so the new subscriber really felt at home.

Oh, and an afterthought: put the printed material in a jazzy envelope and include the envelope in absolutely every single modem box you ship out.
Assistant Professor

Knerkin, my head is bloody from beating it against that wall.
Assistant Professor

I think it is whatever number the engineer feels like plugging into the SAN.  Smiley Happy