cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage Help?

Re: Data Usage Help?

sgoshe: somehow, I figured others had pitched the idea before I did. Have you ever received a "We're working on it" or "It's a dumb idea" or anything in response? 
Assistant Professor

I'd have to dig up all the posts but think it is usually "good/great idea we'll pass it along". I think whoever is catching ain't so good at it.  Smiley Happy

Knerkin, sgoshe, and all,

We have implemented some changes and hopeful that some future additions will provide information like this and other things to better inform the new customer. Though we are not and are far from being the marketing team or having a definite influence on the business side of things, we are able to push ideas and suggestions as much as we want. First and foremost, the community team is a customer service group - but with more pull here and there.

I don't have exact time frames, there are some things just as cryptic to us. I see "first few days" when looking. When our subscribers arrive at new service, they should be introduced to methods of support like chat, email and the community. We are building resources for our community so that customers who sign up and visit us can see tools, ideas, tips and tricks without having to look for an envelope in a drawer.

Thanks,
Amanda
Assistant Professor

I guess I'm old Amanda and like the "envelope in the drawer" for some things. Really like the "Quick Start" guides that come with most electronics. It is kind of an initial thank you and leaves a good first impression.
With HughesNet the new customer basically gets squat and has to go hunting for answers.

Thanks for the reply though. Another thing I won't hold my breath for, taking a chance at my age.  Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Thanks, Amanda. The one thing you should remember is that the newbie is too unexposed to even know there are questions to be asked. What they probably see first is terrible service at peak times, or they are FAPped before even knowing what the honk that's all about. sgoshe mentions the quick start guide...at least that's an opportunity to say "Welcome Aboard...here are a few things we'd like to share with you." Aiming a newbie at chat, e-mail, or the Community BBS might, in some cases, do more harm than good. In our neck of the woods, there are elderly subscribers who want their HughesNet installation to operate as reliably as their can opener. And, even can openers come with hand holding.

sgoshe: I'll bet I'd got you beat on the age thang.

Its a fantastic idea. Ive been without cable internet for 2 months so updating was a thing to do but NOT ONE person, besides these forums which if i hadn't asked i still would have no idea, mentioned that i basically have unlimited for the first few days so i could update and such.
Not used to cap, its obvious you guys CAN remove that cap wish ya would! Been watching like a hawk! Been trying to do without simply because i don't want want to go near my cap in a day or 2.
i guess my point is, if you going to do this for your customers maybe TELL them about it?! Wish i had asked sooner honestly. I'm 3? days in and since no one seems to know the "first few days" actual number I'm watching EVEN closer! 

Ive noticed A LOT in the first week of having this theres a lot they don't tell you. Such as this topic... if i had asked a question and YOU hadn't replied i STILL wouldn't know.. Thank you btw
Assistant Professor

You are welcome! This is exactly what is being debated here, there is A LOT for a new customer to learn when it comes to satellite internet. Sadly, it is an important area that even I, an overall satisfied customer, feels HughesNet is greatly lacking in.

Please come back here as you have questions, it is the best place for answers at the present time.

boy, aint that the TRUTH on both topics. A lot to adjust to considering I'm coming from cable.. which is 20 download 5-7 up uncapped.. QUITE a change to say the least!
They really don't tell you much i def agree! They have their sale and their happy is what it seems which isn't fair.. 
Now that i know of these boards i will be back freq. I'm sure hehe.. thanks again. you've been great!
Assistant Professor

Just one more thing. They do have a FAQ here: http://www.hughesnet.com/index.cfm?page=faq
Thing is, it is one more thing many new customers don't know even exists. And it isn't all that informative in my opinion, nothing on streaming video for example or using the SCC.