cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

Data Usage and Tokens

Good Morning, 

I have 2 questions.  I have had Hughes Net for MANY years.  In all of those years, I only ran out of data ONCE and that was years ago when my daughter was visiting and tried to watch a 30 minute episode of The Office.  I work from home and use my computer mainly for work.  Last month I ran out of my PLAN data and this month I am almost out (I have 6% left with 8 days in the billing cycle).   I normally have at least half, usually more, of my PLAN data left and normally have 80% or more of my BONUS data left over each month. 

So my first question is how do I find out why I am using all of my data all of a sudden.

My second question - I have some tokens available to use.  I used 4 of them yesterday.  While I see they deducted them from the balance of my tokens (from 9 tokens down to 5), I do not see that using them increased my actual data balance.  Do the tokens not take affect until my data usage reaches ZERO?   

Thanks !

46 REPLIES 46
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

One of the things you can do to see where some of the data is going is to install the free Glasswire app on the devices that support it.  It will check what uses data on the device where it is installed. 

As for the tokens, if you have Gen5 and you go to the modem page, you should see the amount of token data you have listed under the area where the green and blue circles are.  If you're out of data, the green and blue circles will be white, but you will show some token data listed in the area underneath them.  The circles only display your service plan data and your bonus zone data, and when you exhaust those, they will remain empty even if you've got tokens and are using token data. 

If you have an earlier version, someone else may be able to tell you where to find the information on the modem page for your version.  

So, how will I know if I need to use more tokens if the data meter does not show?  

Thanks !

maratsade

The number of tokens you have does show. Do you have Gen 5 or something else?  

You can also check your account on this site and see how many tokens you have.  EDIT: You can also download the HughesNet app. 

GabeU

@ncseamonkey59 

The amount of token data you have "banked" and available for use shows on all pages that show your data levels.  That banked token data will be automatically used when you run out of your Service Plan data or Bonus Zone data, depending on the time period of day, of course. 

"Banked" token data is shown below...

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 4.26.13 PM.png 

When you sign into your account and look on the page where you can buy data tokens, any "Free" or "Prepaid" tokens shown there are not yet "banked", and they won't be used unless and until you bank them by clicking "Use", which will then add them to the banked tokens available and ready for use.  Any data tokens that you purchase are automatically banked.

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 4.31.53 PM.png

OKay - so I don't have to worry about going in and "using" the tokens if I run out?  It will automatically use them?  I thought it would show more allowance in the "circles" when I "used" one, but it did not. I wish they would go back to the old data meter you could put on your computer.  I kept it on my desktop and could keep watch on it. 

I still would like to know why I have used all my data the last 2 months, when I haven't used anywhere near all my data for the last 5 or 6 years or so.  Very odd.

GabeU

@ncseamonkey59 wrote:

OKay - so I don't have to worry about going in and "using" the tokens if I run out?  It will automatically use them?   

Any that are already banked, as shown the first picture, yes.  If you run out of your normal data it will automatically draw from that token data without you having to do anything. 

I would install the Glasswire that maratsade mentioned to monitor the data usage on your computer, but it only monitors the usage on the computer it's installed on, not any other devices you have using HughesNet.  I've only ever used it on my Windows computers, but it's available for Android devices now too.  It's free.  

Just about any online activity uses more data over time, so what may have been enough to get you through the month yesterday may not be enough today, either necessitating more data or being more conservative in your online activities and more proactive in monitoring the usage. 

For reference, on this modem page you can also see all connected devices, including those that were connected, but are no longer, since the last time the modem was plugged in.  Devices that can use a lot of data on their own are DirecTV receivers and streaming devices, like a Firestick or Roku.  Today's printers can even use a lot of data if they get into a download loop while trying to connect to their "home" server online.

I will download the program you requested, Glasswire.  I also went to the "modem page" and the only thing I do not recognize is HPD43076.  Do you know what that could be?  Thanks for all your help. 

GabeU

No clue.  Maybe something from HP?  A printer maybe?

maratsade

You could turn off devices one by one until that designation disappears. Then you'd know what it is.

I bet it is my printer.  I am going to download the Glasswire on my computer here in a few minutes.  I am VERY computer unsavvy.  Is there anything you can tell me that I need to know?  Thanks so much !

maratsade

Before you download Glasswire, could you turn off your printer and then check the Connected Device Info and see if the device in question is no longer on the list of connected devices?  It may still appear under Currently Disconnected Devices.  If it moved from connected to disconnected, then you would know it's the printer. 

After you download Glasswire, you can get some help here. @GabeU can help with that. 🙂

@ncseamonkey59 wrote:

I bet it is my printer.  I am going to download the Glasswire on my computer here in a few minutes.  I am VERY computer unsavvy.  Is there anything you can tell me that I need to know?  Thanks so much !

I already downloaded Glasswire before I saw your message, but I will turn off my printer and see if this is what it is, but I am pretty sure it is. 

Okay - Glasswire has been downloaded, but I have not the first clue about what I am seeing or how to tell what is using my data, what is legit, etc.  I have read the user guide and it is Greek.  

Can somebody help me in layman's terms - no computer speak - so that I can see what is happening here?  

Thanks again !

maratsade

For Glasswire, wait until @GabeU sees your message. He'll give you some tips. 

EDIT: Adding this in case it helps:  https://www.glasswire.com/quickstartguide/

GabeU

@ncseamonkey59 

The first thing to do is to set the options in Glasswire to "Incoming & Outgoing" and "External".  This way it shows both the upload and download data combined, and only that which is via the internet, not what's being transferred back and forth internally.

Glasswire.jpeg

Then use your computer for a while and see what your total shows, including the incoming and outgoing.  If it looks unusually high you can post a screenshot of the main screen, set on 'Usage' and 'All' like above, and we can start drilling down on the problem.  Remember, Glasswire's only going to show the data being used by the computer itself.

Thanks GabeU - Just getting back on this morning and am going to try and see what I can figure out.  I am extremely tech-stupid, so I might have more questions! 

Thanks again !

I posted this yesterday, but I do not see it for some reason.  This was yesterday afternoon.Capture.JPG

This morning - huge difference and not sure why?

Capture - 09-27-2021 at 6.22 AM.JPG

GabeU

@ncseamonkey59 

Much of the data is being used by/through Chrome.  If syncing is turned on in Chrome, but you don't need it on, I would turn it off.  That might save a good bit of data.  Also, if you don't already have one installed in Chrome, I would install an ad blocker, as ads while browsing can use a lot of data as well.  Adblock Plus is a good one, and free.  If you do install it, make sure to right click on its icon in the toolbar, click Extension Options, then uncheck "Allow Acceptable Ads" to ensure that it blocks all ads rather than letting some show.   

That "sync worker.exe"... check in your "Programs and Features" to see if there is a program called "Sync" or "Sync.com Helper Program" (right click the Start/Windows icon, then click on Programs and Features".  If you see it there, and you didn't deliberately install it, and you can't think of anything that's supposed to be synced on a constant basis (something that may have installed it as part of a program), I'd uninstall it.  That sync.com is eating a good chunk of data.

I'd make sure to run your antivirus scans.  Also, if you don't already have it installed, I would download and install Malwarebytes and run a scan.  It comes with 10 days of the full version as a trial, then after that trial it will revert to an on-demand scanner, meaning you'll have to initiate a scan when you want it to happen rather than it automatically monitoring your system for viruses and malware, which it will do for that initial ten days.  It's a great program for viruses and malware, and it's free.

Thank you so much GabeU - I will do all of the suggestions and see what happens !!  Did you see anything else?  I have always used Chrome and when I am working (I work from home), I always have 3 windows open in Chrome.  Sync is a program that I use for about 1 hour a day (PT job).  I have used these for at least 5 years and have never had a problem.  In the past, I have used probably about 60% of my data  - if that - so it is really why am I running out all of a sudden.  Maybe I do have a virus?  Could that do it?  I do have Webroot on my computer.  I do not have the malware you suggested on it, though.  I will install the malware and see what happens.  I might be getting back to you.  LOL.  

Thanks again !

I have not downloaded the malware or adblocker yet.  My Chrome is not synced.  I also talked to my boss and we uninstalled the program Sync from my computer.  HOWEVER - it is still showing in the GlassWire list as being active.  Any ideas?  Thanks