cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage and Tokens

ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

Re: Data Usage and Tokens

I bet it is my printer.  I am going to download the Glasswire on my computer here in a few minutes.  I am VERY computer unsavvy.  Is there anything you can tell me that I need to know?  Thanks so much !

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Before you download Glasswire, could you turn off your printer and then check the Connected Device Info and see if the device in question is no longer on the list of connected devices?  It may still appear under Currently Disconnected Devices.  If it moved from connected to disconnected, then you would know it's the printer. 

After you download Glasswire, you can get some help here. @GabeU can help with that. Smiley Happy

@ncseamonkey59 wrote:

I bet it is my printer.  I am going to download the Glasswire on my computer here in a few minutes.  I am VERY computer unsavvy.  Is there anything you can tell me that I need to know?  Thanks so much !

ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

I already downloaded Glasswire before I saw your message, but I will turn off my printer and see if this is what it is, but I am pretty sure it is. 

Okay - Glasswire has been downloaded, but I have not the first clue about what I am seeing or how to tell what is using my data, what is legit, etc.  I have read the user guide and it is Greek.  

Can somebody help me in layman's terms - no computer speak - so that I can see what is happening here?  

Thanks again !

maratsade

For Glasswire, wait until @GabeU sees your message. He'll give you some tips. 

EDIT: Adding this in case it helps:  https://www.glasswire.com/quickstartguide/

GabeU

@ncseamonkey59 

The first thing to do is to set the options in Glasswire to "Incoming & Outgoing" and "External".  This way it shows both the upload and download data combined, and only that which is via the internet, not what's being transferred back and forth internally.

Glasswire.jpeg

Then use your computer for a while and see what your total shows, including the incoming and outgoing.  If it looks unusually high you can post a screenshot of the main screen, set on 'Usage' and 'All' like above, and we can start drilling down on the problem.  Remember, Glasswire's only going to show the data being used by the computer itself.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

Thanks GabeU - Just getting back on this morning and am going to try and see what I can figure out.  I am extremely tech-stupid, so I might have more questions! 

Thanks again !

ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

I posted this yesterday, but I do not see it for some reason.  This was yesterday afternoon.Capture.JPG

ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

This morning - huge difference and not sure why?

Capture - 09-27-2021 at 6.22 AM.JPG

GabeU

@ncseamonkey59 

Much of the data is being used by/through Chrome.  If syncing is turned on in Chrome, but you don't need it on, I would turn it off.  That might save a good bit of data.  Also, if you don't already have one installed in Chrome, I would install an ad blocker, as ads while browsing can use a lot of data as well.  Adblock Plus is a good one, and free.  If you do install it, make sure to right click on its icon in the toolbar, click Extension Options, then uncheck "Allow Acceptable Ads" to ensure that it blocks all ads rather than letting some show.   

That "sync worker.exe"... check in your "Programs and Features" to see if there is a program called "Sync" or "Sync.com Helper Program" (right click the Start/Windows icon, then click on Programs and Features".  If you see it there, and you didn't deliberately install it, and you can't think of anything that's supposed to be synced on a constant basis (something that may have installed it as part of a program), I'd uninstall it.  That sync.com is eating a good chunk of data.

I'd make sure to run your antivirus scans.  Also, if you don't already have it installed, I would download and install Malwarebytes and run a scan.  It comes with 10 days of the full version as a trial, then after that trial it will revert to an on-demand scanner, meaning you'll have to initiate a scan when you want it to happen rather than it automatically monitoring your system for viruses and malware, which it will do for that initial ten days.  It's a great program for viruses and malware, and it's free.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

Thank you so much GabeU - I will do all of the suggestions and see what happens !!  Did you see anything else?  I have always used Chrome and when I am working (I work from home), I always have 3 windows open in Chrome.  Sync is a program that I use for about 1 hour a day (PT job).  I have used these for at least 5 years and have never had a problem.  In the past, I have used probably about 60% of my data  - if that - so it is really why am I running out all of a sudden.  Maybe I do have a virus?  Could that do it?  I do have Webroot on my computer.  I do not have the malware you suggested on it, though.  I will install the malware and see what happens.  I might be getting back to you.  LOL.  

Thanks again !