cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage drained by Hughesnet not Blame us for it.

Re: Data Usage drained by Hughesnet not Blame us for it.

Apps that come with a system are called "bloatware" and on tablet formats, is almost impossible to delete.  You can force them closed and sometimes "turn off" but they'll claim that it could cause problems with the way your system behaves.  I don't quite buy that.  I have an NFL app on my tablet that wants to download updates every other day.. I hate it!  can't delete the app.  It only lets you uninstall the updates.   As far as IE, I use Chrome, but I'm guessing there is a setting in advanced settings that lets you uncheck the "add-ons" for those media app and photo app.  
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Kenneth,

I too have a few busy days coming up but we will work the problem as both our time allows.

I will try to address the questions you posted above in some kind of "order" but I want to give you some background info first.

I see from your post that you are running Win8 in a partition of your network and because I chose to "skip" Win 8/8.1 I think its a good idea to call in Sgoshe for his detailed knowledge of that OS.

In reading your last post it is apparent that you have a reasonably complex network. That means there is more than a single area that could be an issue.

At the risk of making a rather long post, I want to give you some detailed info as to the potential areas that could be a problem and what I think is the best procedure is to procede.

There are FIVE  areas to a typical home network:

A: The Hughes "infrastructure"

B: The Hughes Modem and dish mounted transmitter/receiver assembly

C&D: The Router that consists of TWO PARTS

"C" the wired side

"D" the wireless side

E: Computer(s) and other connected devices

We need to break these areas down and look at what and where loss issues can occur.

A: This is the "cloud" aspects of the Hughes network infrastructure:

For us, as users, this is going to consist of the algorithms that "count" our usage.

If we download a file of 50 MB are we really being "charged" 50 MB or is some type of "inflation" going on ?

Because of the nature of this type of problem we will handle this one last.

B: The Hughes Modem and TRIA:

Areas of concern here are a Modem that gets "stuck in a loop", perhaps a poor aim or failing Transmitter that increases usage by having to make "retransmissions".

In this case, the high transmission failure rate will be evident to the Forum Mods as they perform remote diagnostics on your system.

C&D: The Router:

At best, a Router is a "Problem Multiplier" as it is a multi-part device.

#1: Problems can occur with the Routers "firmware".

#2: Problems can occur on the "wired" LAN partition of the router and multiplied by the number of devices connected.

#3: Problems can occur on the "wireless" portion of the Router.

This can be due to unpatched wireless vulnerabilities

This can be due to "open network" issues

This can be due to weak "encryption" levels being used.

We have understand that a Router really has ... TWO AREAS  that must be password protected:

A: The "front end" of the router that leads to its "internal settings & permissions"

B: The wireless side "encryption type" and ensuing "passkey" or "passphrase"

That leaves us with potential problems from both AUTHORIZED  and UNAUTHORIZED  device connections.

The worst offenders are the wireless devices such as tablets.

You think you have disabled everything but I have to say there is just too much potential for loss using that method .... you just cant trust anything but a total Router by-pass during troubleshooting.

It is also worth noting that a Win 8/8.1 computer has different default network settings for wireless connections as compared to the same computer connected to the same router but by wire rather than wireless. 

E: Computers and other devices connected  by wire:

Each computer connected to the Routers LAN port has 65.536 "comm ports" through which it can "connect" somewhere.

Some of these connections we can "see" as the result of having a "Program" open ... example port 80 is used by Internet Browsers. Two more ports are used for incoming and outgoing email if a email client program like Outlook or Thunderbird among others is used to access email.

Then we have a multitude of installed programs that can "update, sync, error report" and just plain share data.

Beyond that we have the possibility of Virus, Malware, Spyware and Keylogger activity that could be running in the background unseen.

First things first we have to "prove/disprove" is it on the Hughes side of things other than the previously mentioned "inflation" which needs to be handled differently.

We need to simplify things by just having areas A & B up and running: 

Sign in to your "dashboard" and take a screenshot of the usage meter, note the time, mark or name the screenshot as Just Before Shutdown:

Then disconnect the LAN Cable from the rear of the Modem, leave the Modem powered up:

Follow this up with a period of time:

Next, reconnect the Modems LAN cable and IMEDIATLY log into your dashboard and take a screenshot of the usage meter, mark it as After Reconnect, note the time.

Note any missing data between the Before Shutdown and After Startup screenshots. Post those here in the Community.

This will prove data loss on the Hughes end if data is missing.

If no data is missing it then "clears" the Modem of wrongdoing and we will need to continue to eliminate network "culprits".

In the end, we have to get the Network to look like this:

A single computer, directly connected to the modem an monitoring its usage.

As one computer is "cleared" of any excess use, we "rotate" another in its place... one after the other until all Wired  computers, networked drives and printers are proven as "fit for duty".

At that point we can reconnect to Router but disable its wireless capabilities, connect all wired devices to the "hobbled" Router and recheck usage.

If all is well we then need to review every wireless setting and encryption level detail and add in a controlled manner wireless devices one by one.

They did the same thing to me. Connected me to someone that wanted to charge me $99 for diagnostic and repair. After complaining daily for weeks, they finally did it for free and fixed the problem.

We have 30.000 mega bytes per mo. And it's used up again. I can't even watch youtube. I have a fb page and share memes and posts. For what we pay I'd sure think I could use my fb page properly. We had to buy tokens this month just to use our bill pay. Had to quit listening to music on Pandora. Bunch of crap. Either start treating us fairly or we'll just get service some where else. You're not the only game in town anymore. And I know you sold out to Dish and then they sold out flippin' monopolies need to get re regulated.

Good morning Kenneth,

It's been over a month since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

The status meter does not count your usage: it counts any data being transferred through the modem. hughesnet is a data meter's are a scam!
Associate Professor

Highlighted

Ah..... my bad. Closing thread now.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->