cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage drained by Hughesnet not Blame us for it.

Highlighted

Data Usage drained by Hughesnet not Blame us for it.

January 2015 or December 2014 my data has been going over every month, changed my router did nothing I call they tried to blame it on the router, I told them I had a new one so they gave me a number to call to up date it nothing, they always blameing the customer, we have not done anything else that what we did before and had not problem, they did somthing to cause this to happen, I think it is time to get Legal help on this since they don't want to help. They have us who live out of the city and charge more than it is worth but you want internet who have to have it or dial up, but they know that they have us and I think they are causing this problem.

97 REPLIES 97
Highlighted

Re: Data Usage drained by Hughesnet not Blame us for it.

My Modem and computer are not even hooked up to the Hughes dish and the status meeter shows download usage! Good buy 160 to 200 dollar a month internet! We Finally have another option for our Internet provider here in Michigan!

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Have any proof to go along with your words?  As in factual hard evidence that can't be disputed?  Because no one has been able to come up with such proof in a good long time.
Highlighted

Dam Straight I do. I signed up with Casair over  A month ago. Haven't Been hooked up to Hughes with anything, cable is laying on the floor for over a month now!  Rest was on the 22nd of July!  Have 99 Percent left of the data plan BUT the router is not connected to any thing. I realize that is not a significant amount of download, But after paying what I have been paying since changing to Gen 4, I'm just glad to have something else for less! Lots less!!! I have been with Hughes since 2008 and for the most part I have had nothing but good things to say about them! At least not until Gen 4. The monthly reset was costing me a fortune. I could never understand where it was all going! 20 gigs of download in two to three weeks! No movies No gaming!As for proof I don't have the status meter without the Hughes Modem?  Customer care  is where I noticed that I have 99 percent left! Tomorrow morning I end my business relationship with Hughes!  
Highlighted
Associate Professor

You do realize, the customer care website only updates the usage information if the modem is actively hooked up, right?  The best place to get real time allowance information is via 192.168.0.1 which is your modem address.  That aside, I don't see proof, I see words, and that is all.
Highlighted

Thank You for Your help Charles! But I really Do Not Care anymore!!!! I have been dealing with this download restriction Since the Gen 4  1st came out! I found it Ironic that the 1st month was unlimited! But a week into the 2nd month I had speeds equal to dial up! Had I known that in the first 30 days I would have canceled gen 4 and went back to the original service!!!  No need for you to reply, for my next task is to call Hughes this morning to turn off and request my final bill!
Highlighted

Good morning Kenneth,

Thank you for your post, we want to address your concerns.  Let's start by isolating the HughesNet modem to see if that is the source of the unidentified data usage. Just follow the illustrated steps that Charles Scott posted above. If your screenshots do show significant usage from the HughesNet modem, we definitely want to send this up to our engineers for their assistance.

Please take care in cropping out your SAN while taking the screenshots.

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook
or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD:
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, so download that if you haven’t already:
supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Highlighted
Sophomore

Cindy, you are lucky to have an alternative. I hope we, in rural Texas, have something else available soon. I have had hughenet for many years now and mostly okay performance and service. Since I switched to the Gen4 plan I have been extremely unhappy! I don't know where the data goes, but the change in data usage in the first month was extreme, to say the least, even though nothing changed on my end. I am not sure what is going on at hughes net, but I really feel for the reps! Can you imagine? Anyway, I may have to rely on my Sprint data plan and cancel hughes net. This is a constant source of anxiety for me and my husband. And jumping through hoops at customer service request is too time consuming. They should figure a way to diagnose the problems themselves!!!!! I also think the company should be honest about how they figure our data usage. Something has changed and they just blame it on us.
Good luck Cindy, please ask Casair to come to Texas!!!!!!!
Regards,
Kathy
Highlighted

Did it no different, your Company gets my money you figure it out it is on your end, one of the user in the Household does things between the 6 hours at night in which I feel that same amount should have been split up or equal to what was added to th night time, by the way how many people stay up at that time if they have kids they can't stay up, so go back and get more training that what we had to do when I was in the Air Force before I was Retired under Medical, now I am on a fixed income, this should be like Comcast, AT&T, ect... where you do not have usage limits and I know this for a fact, the Companies like yours and Wildblue (which I was with before switching over to Hughesnet) or any satellite company know they can take us for a ride charge us high price and do this to us, nothing has changed in what we do now than prior to January 2015 except one thing Satelite Companies are not keeping up with the times because of the fact all the site are changing to having videos or slide shows which possibly us more data but we can not stop them they don't care about those who live in the Country where we have to use Satellite for internet, I am getting tired of having to buy more usage when I pay enough pure month, more then enough for Satellite INERNET, when I call in and I don't like what I am being told I usually ask for the Manger but yet to be able to go pass the first one so I think the best thing for all Country People using this kind of INTERNET I need to get a class action going, I just wonder about Businesses that needs this kind of Internet what their cost is and usage.