Hughesnet Community

Data allowance magically being used

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wydglyd88

Data allowance magically being used

My data allowance is being depleted even while computer is turned off and LAN cable disconnected.  Talked to tech support, they said engineering would have to get back to me.  Now been 3 days without internet service, no follow up calls.  Reference number 54374470.  I am getting pretty upset.  This company makes ATT and Time Warner look like customer service champs! 
23 REPLIES 23
Chris11
Alum

Hi wydglyd88,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting today! I've already pulled up your account and see that you've been communicating with our Tier 3 department pertaining to these concerns. I'll be glad to continue assisting you here. We'll also escalate your case to our engineers with your old test results. Another test will be needed to provide more insight as well. So please bare with us.

I will be providing you with a good amount of data so that we can run the test again here. With that said you'll need to add one more step when running it. Please carefully follow the instructions in this diagram.

Please post both screenshots here. Best way to do this with a Windows machine is the snipping tool. Just make sure to blank out/cross your SAN from any images for your privacy. The bandwidth I will add will come as token bandwidth ready to use. No input on your part. hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
Chris11
Alum

Hi wydglyd88,

After escalating to our engineers. There was a scheduled test for users on your Gateway. Specifically speed tests on a number of random sights and your's was one of them. Speed tests use up a small amount of data. However many were run. To make up for this, a substantial amount of token bandwidth was already added to your account. When I checked you already had about 25 GB worth unused. I hope that is sufficient and that this clears everything up for you. If you have anymore questions or concerns please let us know.

Thank you,
Chris
Amanda

Hi C0RR0SIVE

This is actually entirely my fault! I was working with an engineer on a specific concern for 2 customers and as a result some changes were made to this gateway (RAP50). When the work was done, some users were auto-tested to see if there was improvements and this used some data automatically as we all know. The engineers automatically placed "makeup" tokens in their bucket when the testing was over. I was provided a list of the customers and I even helped Chris look at wydglyd88's system and didn't catch that he was on that list. You can put this one on me!

Amanda
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
wydglyd88

I don't see any 25GB of data on my account.  There are tokens for 1.5GB that says "prepaid", everything else has a price attached.  How do I get the 25GB?
Amanda

Hi wydglyd

Check here (supportcenter.myhughesnet.com)

Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Your meter will not reset until the refill date, it will stay at zero. You will drawing from that large Token Bytes Available until then.
luckyhoodoo

My bandwidth disappears all the time!   It's a 98% when I leave the house in the morning at about 11:00 and come home at 5:00 in the afternoon and it all gone.  I called many times about this problem and each time the tech tells me it's my router doing updates, which is nonsense.... I have set my computer so no downloads or updates are performed without my permission...so what is going on here?  This happened twice this week already...so what can I do about it?
luckyhoodoo

I go to check my usage and all I get is a message that "Usage data not available for this period" ... what is going on? Way way too much bandwidth is disappearing on me and it's happening every week.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

luckyhoodoo,

To address your individual issue, you should start a new thread and describe what's going on and what you have tried thus far. 

James Foster

I've been a happy customer for years. About 3 weeks ago I seemed to be using more of my allowance. After troubleshooting everything else, it turns out that about 8mb per hour of my anytime data is being used, even while nothing is connected to my Modem. (not wireless!) I have been informed that this is not much. 6 GB monthly of 10 is not much? tech support gives free tokens, but insists there is no problem. I suspect there is a known problem that is being covered up. I challenge any hughesnet representative to answer this and claim that 8mb per hour use of my paid for satellite time is not excessive. I'm done with the techies, who are being misinformed. I'll do my best to reach someone in corporate tomorrow. This is unacceptable, and violates my(and our) contract.

GabeU

James Foster,

To address your individual issue, you should start a new thread and describe the issue in as much detail as you can.  BTW, the reps on here are at the corporate level, so they would be the ones to converse with.  But, again, you need to start your own thread to be best helped. 

James Foster

I've been a happy customer for years. About 3 weeks ago I seemed to be using more of my allowance. After troubleshooting everything else, it turns out that about 8mb per hour of my anytime data is being used, even while nothing is connected to my Modem. (not wireless!) I have been informed that this is not much. 6 GB monthly of 10 is not much? tech support gives free tokens, but insists there is no problem. I suspect there is a known problem that is being covered up. I challenge any hughesnet representative to answer this and claim that 8mb per hour use of my paid for satellite time is not excessive. I'm done with the techies, who are being misinformed. I'll do my best to reach someone in corporate tomorrow. This is unacceptable, and violates my(and our) contract.
James Foster

How insulting. I have spent hours today troubleshooting. I do need help getting my, or your, equipment to stop using 8mb per hour of my usage. I have tested 6 times, 3 with your techies and 3 by myself. 8MB per hour, roughly. Do you suggest a fourth time? Is 8MB per hour acceptable, as I was told?
GabeU

I'm sorry that you find someone giving you instructions on how to get help insulting. 
GabeU

To add, when I gave instructions on how to receive help, you responded by posting the exact same paragraph.  This is why I assumed you didn't want help and were here just to vent.  I see now that you have started your own thread.  You will most likely hear from a rep tomorrow. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

James Foster, it is fellow customers responding to you. You should start your own post if wanting help. I'm just a customer also, forget the title beside my name.
James Foster

Sorry Gabe U, and thank you BirdDog, I didn't know I reposted as I familiarized myself with the site, and I thought GabeU was a company rep. So...suggestions on the phantom use? I must add that Hughes net has provided enough bonus time to make up for at least a month of the usage. I have no idea why several techies told me 8 MB hourly was not excessive. I have had no problems at all in five years before this.
Joel Channell

I lost 3.9 gb last night in a few seconds. I dont know how!