Data connection keeps dropping

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
akey
New Poster

Data connection keeps dropping

We are constantly losing our internet connection since day 1 of our service.  Online phone support stated that the issue was because we are out of our data allowance.  The issue happens all month long, so I don't believe that is the issue.  We went thru and changed router settings with the phone tech, but are not seeing any differences.  

12 REPLIES 12
Jay

Hello Akey, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! It's possible that there is an issue between your Circle device and the HughesNet system. Try disabling it to see if this resolves the issue. I'd like to rule this out as a possibility before continuing.

-Jay

I just got the Circle device in December and we have had this issue for over a year now.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@akey 

Is it primarily WiFi devices that you use or do you have LAN cable connected devices, as well?

The Circle is plugged in LAN.  Everything else is WiFi.

GabeU

@akey 

I'm wondering if what's happening is that the WiFi connection is actually what's dropping, not the modem's connection to the internet.  That's why I asked about the WiFi vs LAN connection.  

I'll leave this to Jay, but I was just curious which connection method(s) you used for your devices for the reason mentioned above.  I can certainly understand why he made the recommendation about the Circle device, though.  Even though you didn't have it before, I would still do what he recommended (disabling it) in order to help troubleshoot the issue.  It may not be the the cause of the current issue, but eliminating things that could be causing a problem is part of the process.  

I'm sure they'll be able to figure out what's going on.  🙂

The Circle app is notifying me several times a day that it has lost its internet connection and it is plugged in.
GabeU

@akey wrote:
The Circle app is notifying me several times a day that it has lost its internet connection and it is plugged in.

I'm not sure what Jay will recommend, but I would recommend eliminating the Circle device for troubleshooting purposes to see if you are actually losing your connection.  And, again, I realize you have only had the Circle device for a month, but troubleshooting is sometimes a process of elimination, and that would be the first thing to eliminate in that process.  I'm sure this is one of the reasons Jay asked for it to be disabled, though I, personally, would eliminate it, at least for that process.   

It's quite possible that Circle or something connected to Circle is trying to periodically synch via a secure connection and is pinging out due to a long delay. This happens on satellite and it's not unusual to have incredibly long lag times.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

akey,

As Gabe and Mark have alluded to, there are many reasons we'd like to remove the Circle device from the equation while troubleshooting the issue. Please disconnect the device and let me know if the dropped connection issue persists with your wi-fi devices.

Thank you!

Jay

Just thought of something else: Wonder if it's possible that if they're using the Circle as a wifi router while HN2000's wifi router is still activated. If the idea is to use the Circle full time then perhaps deactivating wifi on the 2000 might be in order. This way end-user devices won't get confused when trying to use the internet.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

Just thought of something else: Wonder if it's possible that if they're using the Circle as a wifi router while HN2000's wifi router is still activated. If the idea is to use the Circle full time then perhaps deactivating wifi on the 2000 might be in order. This way end-user devices won't get confused when trying to use the internet.

Good thinking.  

If this is the case for the OP, here's a link to the instructions for doing so, including disabling the radio broadcast altogether...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Linksys-Velop/m-p/107787/highlight/true#M73286

akey,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

-Jay