Data depleting quick

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Qfyffe
Freshman

Data depleting quick

With everyone staying home and working from home, we burn through data. Like we use almost all of it in 2 days. How the **bleep** can anyone effectively use HughesNet in today’s world and have plenty of data to last a month?
3 REPLIES 3
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I hear you -- data does get used much faster when working/learning from home. Unfortunately, the only way to extend it is to buy a bigger package (max is 50GB, though) or to buy tokens (I just bought a bunch, since I've used up a lot of data due to updates).  Are you also using up the 50GB bonus bytes that can be used between 2 and 8 am?

Qfyffe wrote:
With everyone staying home and working from home, we burn through data. Like we use almost all of it in 2 days. How the **bleep** can anyone effectively use HughesNet in today’s world and have plenty of data to last a month?

I’m usually asleep till 6am. Most of my teams meetings start at 8am. We have a lot of things that run off internet besides phones. I turned them all off. It just sucks to have to use this for of internet during this crisis. We have no other options where we live. But love our new home. I’m on the 30gig plan. Wouldn’t matter if I had the 50. Why pay more for another day or two of use
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It's unfortunate that the terrestrial ISPs can't be bothered with rural areas. For those of us who have no other viable options, HughesNet is a godsend; otherwise we'd have to move (I moved to a rural area on purpose and love it, and would not much care for going back to the big city).

In my area, there's Verizon, but there aren't enough towers, so the connections are abysmal (and Verizon is much more expensive in the long run as well), so HughesNet has worked very well (most of the time) for me for the last 15 or so years.  It's challenging though if you need to use Zoom. I use Zoom but phone into meetings and that works fairly well and doesn't use my HN data. I stay away from data-intensive activities as much as possible, but not everyone can.  My main source of data drainage is app and operating system updates, followed by document uploads and downloads. Some months (like this one) require the purchase of tokens.  

I also often drive to places that have cable, fiber, or working Verizon, especially to download big files, but I am aware not everyone can do this.