cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data disappearing and I don't know why

Highlighted
Sophomore

Data disappearing and I don't know why

I have Gen4 Ultra and have been pretty pleased with how things have been going until two days ago.

Our routine is as follows: we stream NOTHING. We do record what we want to watch using Playon DVR - and all the TV we watch is OTA. We have been doing this right along without any problems until two days ago - when all of the sudden our 'anytime' data used up 9900MB during that day. There was a Windows update that night - so I just attributed it to that. Set things up as usual yesterday to download 3 episodes of McLeod's Daughters from Amazon Prime thru Playon, and since there was nothing good on TV, we watched the episodes we had downloaded previously. I was shocked to see that instead of 74% left of our anytime - it was down to 11%! We streamed nothing - watched only previously recorded shows - just like we have done for the last 2+ years - What on earth would cause the data to be used up so fast when we weren't doing anything to cause it? How do I find out?

So this morning our data for the month (ending April 15) is gone - and I sure won't spend money to get more to watch is disappear for no apparent reason. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Trish Thompson

24 REPLIES 24
Professor

Re: Data disappearing and I don't know why

It's not disappearing without reason. There is a reason -- we just have to figure it out.  

[Edited to remove incorrect information] 

To test for data leaks, see this article:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Where-s-my-bytes-Testing-for-data-leaks/m-p/77194#M5...

[Edited for clarity] This is the typical requirement, though the mods here have the final say, of course. 

Assistant Professor

Playon does not use your data when it records to their cloud server, it only uses the data when you download the video from their server once it is recorded. Wanted to clarify that.

The whole point of it is you originally record to their server for downloading and watching later. It has never used my data twice for the same video. Unless you choose to download it more than once.

Professor

My bad. Thanks for the clarification. 

Distinguished Professor III

@tryshz 

Did you end up installing Glasswire?  If so, and your Windows PC is your only HughesNet connected device, you can take a look at Glasswire to see what it was that used the data.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

Hey GabeU,

Thanks for answering - and I am kicking myself that the program was not on my computer when this happened....but when I had a chat session with the (dreaded) help desk - they were actually helpful, and I think they found the answer. I have a program called Playon which I use to record what we want to watch since we can't stream anything. It has worked fine for years - but John on the help desk said he could not tell which device used up the data 'cause I have Gen 4 modem, but he did tell me the time frame. Started at 2:30am and I had the program set to shut off at 7:30am - but it did not shut off, and merrily chowed thru 36,800MB of data by noon - all unknown to me. I have contacted Playon, but don't have high hopes there - gonna have to find another program to do the scheduled overnight recording - do you know of any?

And I have re-installed Glasswire on my computer - little late shutting that barn door - but there's always a next time!

Thanks much for replying!!

Trish

Professor

" Started at 2:30am and I had the program set to shut off at 7:30am - but it did not shut off, and merrily chowed thru 36,800MB of data by noon - all unknown to me."

Are you saying the data was consumed by Playon's recording stuff?  I ask because this program is not supposed to use any data when recording. 

@maratsade wrote:

Are you saying the data was consumed by Playon's recording stuff?  I ask because this program is not supposed to use any data when recording. 

From the sounds of it, the OP is using PlayOn Desktop, not PlayOn Cloud.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

@tryshz wrote:

gonna have to find another program to do the scheduled overnight recording - do you know of any? 

The only thing I can think of is PlayOn Cloud, which seems to be becoming more popular with those of us who have limited data.  It's still PlayOn, but it's a file download, rather than a stream that's recorded.  What I mean is, the streamed program or movie is recorded to their Cloud and automatically converted to an .mp4 file, which you can then schedule to download sometime within the next seven days.  It can be used in conjunction with regular PlayOn, as in the files downloaded can be added to the PlayOn DVR. 

It's just another option, but it might help to ensure that what happened doesn't happen again.  Then again, anything can go goofy sometimes.

Sophomore

Sorry - I was not clear before - I use Playon Desktop and it most certainly uses up data while it is running - tho I have heard of Playon cloud - enough to know it costs money - and what you choose is then uploaded to the cloud.

I have no idea how it works, but just figured that uploading meant I was getting data used up. Need to take another look at that.

Thanks for replying!

Trish