Data disappearing and I don't know why

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tryshz
Sophomore

Data disappearing and I don't know why

I have Gen4 Ultra and have been pretty pleased with how things have been going until two days ago.

Our routine is as follows: we stream NOTHING. We do record what we want to watch using Playon DVR - and all the TV we watch is OTA. We have been doing this right along without any problems until two days ago - when all of the sudden our 'anytime' data used up 9900MB during that day. There was a Windows update that night - so I just attributed it to that. Set things up as usual yesterday to download 3 episodes of McLeod's Daughters from Amazon Prime thru Playon, and since there was nothing good on TV, we watched the episodes we had downloaded previously. I was shocked to see that instead of 74% left of our anytime - it was down to 11%! We streamed nothing - watched only previously recorded shows - just like we have done for the last 2+ years - What on earth would cause the data to be used up so fast when we weren't doing anything to cause it? How do I find out?

So this morning our data for the month (ending April 15) is gone - and I sure won't spend money to get more to watch is disappear for no apparent reason. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Trish Thompson

24 REPLIES 24
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It's not disappearing without reason. There is a reason -- we just have to figure it out.  

[Edited to remove incorrect information] 

To test for data leaks, see this article:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Where-s-my-bytes-Testing-for-data-leaks/m-p/77194#M5...

[Edited for clarity] This is the typical requirement, though the mods here have the final say, of course. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Playon does not use your data when it records to their cloud server, it only uses the data when you download the video from their server once it is recorded. Wanted to clarify that.

The whole point of it is you originally record to their server for downloading and watching later. It has never used my data twice for the same video. Unless you choose to download it more than once.

maratsade

My bad. Thanks for the clarification. 

GabeU

@tryshz 

Did you end up installing Glasswire?  If so, and your Windows PC is your only HughesNet connected device, you can take a look at Glasswire to see what it was that used the data.

Hey GabeU,

Thanks for answering - and I am kicking myself that the program was not on my computer when this happened....but when I had a chat session with the (dreaded) help desk - they were actually helpful, and I think they found the answer. I have a program called Playon which I use to record what we want to watch since we can't stream anything. It has worked fine for years - but John on the help desk said he could not tell which device used up the data 'cause I have Gen 4 modem, but he did tell me the time frame. Started at 2:30am and I had the program set to shut off at 7:30am - but it did not shut off, and merrily chowed thru 36,800MB of data by noon - all unknown to me. I have contacted Playon, but don't have high hopes there - gonna have to find another program to do the scheduled overnight recording - do you know of any?

And I have re-installed Glasswire on my computer - little late shutting that barn door - but there's always a next time!

Thanks much for replying!!

Trish

maratsade

" Started at 2:30am and I had the program set to shut off at 7:30am - but it did not shut off, and merrily chowed thru 36,800MB of data by noon - all unknown to me."

Are you saying the data was consumed by Playon's recording stuff?  I ask because this program is not supposed to use any data when recording. 

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Are you saying the data was consumed by Playon's recording stuff?  I ask because this program is not supposed to use any data when recording. 

From the sounds of it, the OP is using PlayOn Desktop, not PlayOn Cloud.

Sorry - I was not clear before - I use Playon Desktop and it most certainly uses up data while it is running - tho I have heard of Playon cloud - enough to know it costs money - and what you choose is then uploaded to the cloud.

I have no idea how it works, but just figured that uploading meant I was getting data used up. Need to take another look at that.

Thanks for replying!

Trish

GabeU

@tryshz 

With PlayOn Cloud, the only time your HughesNet data would be used is when you actually download the .mp4 file to your device.  The upload, or the stream to PlayOn's cloud, is on their dime, so to speak.  That part doesn't cost you any data.  Then, I believe, you're sent a link to the .mp4 file so that you can download it.  I think the link is sent via email, though I'm not positive of that.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

@tryshz 

With PlayOn Cloud, the only time your HughesNet data would be used is when you actually download the .mp4 file to your device.  The upload, or the stream to PlayOn's cloud, is on their dime, so to speak.  That part doesn't cost you any data.  Then, I believe, you're sent a link to the .mp4 file so that you can download it.  I think the link is sent via email, though I'm not positive of that.

I've always done everything through their Android app on my media phone (no Sim installed). There is also a Windows and iOS app. As far as scheduling this is what I have in the Android app settings. Not sure what the Windows and iOS settings look like but imagine it is similar. Note the info in red.

PS: How many videos did you have queded to download that used that much data?

Screenshot_2019-03-23-11-42-11.pngScreenshot_2019-03-23-11-43-46.png

This sounds like it could be my solution!!  Thanks so much for the pictures - that really helps!!

So......I am assuming I can upload what I want - but will have to wait til April 15 when I have data again to download -think I have it straight.

You all have been such a help! Thank you so much - takes some of the pain away from losing all my data for the month!

Trish

Oops - didn't see your question until I posted.

I had 3 episodes of a show - 45 minutes each - but the program did NOT shut off at the appointed time and kept on running - thus bye bye data

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You are welcome, glad to help. That start time in the pic should be set to 2 AM at the earliest to avoid using Anytime data.

GabeU

BirdDog knows his PlayOn stuff.  🙂  

@BirdDog 

Do you then transfer the downloaded file(s) from your phone to your other device(s) for viewing?  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

Do you then transfer the downloaded file(s) from your phone to your other device(s) for viewing?  

You can do that but I mostly cast from the phone, it works very well with the one TV I normally use for it. I use an Android video player called PlayerXtreme which I really like for casting as the screen goes dark when in cast mode, most continue to show the video on the phone which I find annoying. Can still tap the screen to bring up the controls like pause and fast forward.

GabeU

@BirdDog 

Thanks for the info.  My phone doesn't have the ability to cast, so I'd have to transfer them to my laptop, which I could then connect to my TV via HDMI cable so I could watch them.  Heck, my phone's maximum capacity for sd cards is only 32GB, let alone the pitiful amount of built in storage.  And I'd even need to keep it connected to a power source, as I wouldn't trust the battery in it to last long enough. 😛

My phone is pathetic.  I think I would need to get a new one if I were to use it for PlayOn.  Or I at least should get a new one.   

Then again, I'm often up late, anyway, so I could just manually download the .mp4 files to my laptop.  

Thanks for the info.  🙂

maratsade

That's what I do.  I save them and keep them so I can watch and rewatch whenever. I've been very pleased with PlayOn Cloud and have recorded over 200 items since I got it.  I used to use PlayOn Desktop (I think this one did use broadband, but I'm not 100% sure) but it was very glitchy. 

maratsade

Ah, OK, so I remembered that right.  I used to have PlayOn desktop and didn't care for it (way too glitchy for me), so I then started using PlayOn Cloud and I've been a very happy customer since then.  I stock up on recording credits when they go on sale and I download everything within the complimentary 7 days, so I don't have to pay for storage, only for credits.  

@tryshz wrote:

Sorry - I was not clear before - I use Playon Desktop and it most certainly uses up data while it is running - tho I have heard of Playon cloud - enough to know it costs money - and what you choose is then uploaded to the cloud.

I have no idea how it works, but just figured that uploading meant I was getting data used up. Need to take another look at that.

Thanks for replying!

Trish

GabeU

@maratsade 

What do you use to play the files?  VLC?  

maratsade

VLC, yes, though sometimes just the app that comes with Windows. That works fine too.  I connect the laptop to the TV via HDMI -- works super well. I also keep a wireless mouse with me and I use that to control the laptop and replay, FF, change the volume, etc. Easy peasy.

@GabeU wrote:

What do you use to play the files?  VLC?