Data drain

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sissykc
New Poster

Data drain

How can I view and track what is using my data?

Even with unplugging the modem everynight, the data is still somehow draining. I need to be able to see what is going on. 

I cannot get into "wifi settings" as I do not know the admin password.

Recently upped my data from 10 (sales said this would be more than enough for me) to 20. And I still run out of data in less than 15 days. 

1 REPLY 1
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@sissykc 

First, so I don't forget, the password for entering the modem's WiFi settings is "admin", without the quotes.

Most devices have a built in application of some sort for tracking the data they use.  For Windows computers, Glasswire is a good 3rd party program.  It's free and accurate.  There are various 3rd party applications for other device types that can be used for this as well.  You can find them at Google Play and the App Store for Android and Apple devices, respectively.  

If you're looking to monitor the data usage of each device separately in a single location, one of the best options is with a quality 3rd party router, though not all can monitor data usage in the way.  Many monitor it as a whole.  You can research different models to see if they monitor data by device. 

The following two threads may also provide helpful information....

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

If you're seeing data usage even if the modem is unplugged, what you're very likely seeing is lag in data reporting, as it can take a few minutes for the reporting of data usage to catch up.  When you unplug the modem that reporting stops, and it will catch back up after you plug it back in.  With this said, actual data usage is impossible with the HughesNet modem unplugged, and unplugging it is one of the few concrete ways to ensure that absolutely no data is used.  

However, if you firmly believe that data is being used when the HughesNet modem is unplugged, there is a "modem isolation test" that can be run to determine whether this is the case, and if so, where the issue lies.  The instructions for that test are as follows....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please perform the following test outlined in the graphic below, though follow the full instructions written below the graphic. This is known as a Modem Isolation Test, and it will help to determine whether the issue is with HughesNet or your local network..

photo P2hSeDN.jpg

1: Disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem.
2: Take a screenshot of the HughesNet Usage Meter, along with the clock on your computer screen.
3: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem, noting the date and time of disconnect.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours. HughesNet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work. DO NOT unplug the modem from the power. The modem must remain powered.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem, noting the date and time of reconnect.
6: Take a screenshot of the HughesNet Usage Meter, along with the clock displayed on your computer.
7: Post your two screenshots to the community.

The screenshots should look similar to the following, being dependent on the operating system, with the system clock included (move the usage meter window to being near the system clock so that it is included).   

photo mfQBdeH.jpg

Do not unplug, power cycle or internally reboot the modem after the test has been run, as the reps need to be able to reconcile your modem data logs with what is shown in the screenshots. Any of those three things will wipe out those logs, rendering the test results moot. Only after the reps have responded with their findings should any of those three things be done.

Please be aware that, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, some usage may appear to have occurred due to the slight delay (lag) in the modem reporting the data usage to the server, but it should be rather negligible.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).