cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data draining too fast!

Highlighted

Data draining too fast!

This is a recurring problem, which I've called several times about, and never got a straight answer. My data drains down rapidly, even when I'm not using the internet, and even when the computer is totally off. I've tried with and without the wireless router, and while it drains a little faster on the router, I still lose data even without it. Last night I was using the computer but not the internet, nothing was updating (I checked network processes through Device Manager and about the only thing accessing the internet was the HughesNet Status Meter), and within an hour, it all drained out from 36% to 0%. Nothing else was connected except the one computer. My router is password protected, and no guest devices were showing. I checked the usage log on the Hughesnet Customer Care website, and it shows 204mb downloaded during that hour! And my computer wasn't actually downloading anything. I just got a new hard drive and fresh install of my OS, and there are no viruses or remote access on my computer. I've tried disconnecting and unplugging the modem for several hours and screencapping before and after, but since it happens intermittently, I can't catch the problem.
10 REPLIES 10
Assistant Professor

Re: Data draining too fast!

Constance,
This may get deleted but here it is anyway. Look here: https://community.exede.com/exede
Same problems, same complaints. The bane of satellite internet. Sorry no real help.
Some of us real customers can try to isolate and corral your runaway usage if you wish. Just say the word.

Constance, you also need to post either a case number or your modem ESN  ----serial number located on the bottom or rear of your modem  ,   no phone, address,  DSS no, or SAN nos. please ,for your security .  if the community can not help Hughes-Net comes back in Monday morning  9  till  5  EST  But the community will help you i f you wish  if we can  we are paying customers as yourself who take the time out to help other !!!  my self  just leaning but have great people in here who do know a great deal !!!!

Hi Constance,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post, we want to address your concerns. Please post a case number or the serial number located on the bottom of your modem so we may look up your account. Let's start by isolating the HughesNet modem to see if that is the source of the unidentified data usage. Please follow these illustrated steps:

Please take care in cropping out your SAN while taking the screenshots.

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook
or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD:
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

To help you monitor your data usage and other performance metrics, we’ve gathered resources for you here, which also includes community
recommendations: http://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/track_your_usage_performance_speeds_and_view_tips_....

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, so download that if you haven’t already:
supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thank you for the replies. Today it's working normally again. I will post screenshots before and after the test, the next time it starts draining too fast. The people on the phone told me to unplug the modem and shut it off, not just the LAN cable. but of course the modem won't use any data when it's off. It makes better sense just to unplug the LAN cable. I'll try that.

Hi Constance,

Glad to hear it's working normally for you. Again, the purpose of the LAN cable test illustrated above is to determine whether the cause of the unidentified data usage is on the HughesNet side or on your network. Once you rule out the HughesNet modem, you can then focus your investigation on your network. It helps to test with one device attached to the network at a time, like having just your computer directly connected to the modem to see if the data still drains quickly that way.

We have community members here who may assist you if you need guidance as to how to pinpoint the source(s) of your data usage, just let us know.

Thanks,
Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I was stunned today when I noticed the first day of our new cycle we used 8.4GB from 8am-5pm. What makes me wonder what is going on is I have been outside most of the day working. The only thing that is accessing the network is my laptop that has been in the sleep mode, my, wife iPhone, her Kindle and her laptop. I notced that between the time she was working downstairs not using any of the network and my continuing to work outside for 2 hours we used 800MB in that two hours.  I have on my computer  all videos not to start unless I am asked, so it is not videos that are starting automatically.

Ironically I got an email from a WiFi company today saying they now could serve me. I will be calling Hughes to find out how much it will cost me to get out of the Contract which begin in mid  September 2013. It will be less I am sure than what I have been paying for bonus bytes these last three months.

But those last three months never had any thing close to what the single day usage was today. I am looking forward to no latency factor, no FAP and speeds that after many speed tests are not going to be much different than what I average with Hughes. The best part with the no FAP is the cost for their plan is $55 a month for 8mb download and 2 mb up.

I was going to take the inordinate time to call tech but now will not bother. I have been a customer of Hughes from  the time Earthlink first offered Hughes, then over to Hughes and finally Gen 4. I have experienced the frustrations with Hughes for quite a long time. Gen 4 for while was great, just like Hughes was in the very beginning. But Satellite is not able to deliver for good quality internet in the upcoming years.

Sadly of the developed countries the US is way behind most nations. I remember when we were #1 in most all things, now there it seems each year we loss more bragging rights for #1 at anything. For some things that is good, but most others it is not.

Having similar issues and I am unable to connect so I can not run status meter test but I do have the number off bottom of modem...it is a H1100 s/n B3 0010551837 AB.  Could you try and  isolate my problems? At present I am out of data but I would have a technicians help.

thanks, Daryl

Hi Daryl,

Please check out this thread where we are awaiting a reply regarding your concerns: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/repost-for-daryl-price-depleting-data

Thanks,
Liz

Hi Folkmuse,

We're separating and creating a new thread to focus on addressing your concerns.

-Liz

Please reference the new conversation here: I noticed the first day of our new cycle we used 8.4GB from 8am-5pm