Data drop

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GTMotel07
New Poster

Data drop

Have Gen5, scheduled from Nov 19 - Dec 17 (20GB service plan and 50GB in Bonus Zone). On Nov 30 had 16.2GB of service plan left then on Dec 1 had 5.3 GB, Dec 3 has 4.5GB. Only thing I did different from Nov 30 -Dec 1 was a couple of movies I watched on Prime Video from Dish Network. Could this be the reason? I've watched movies before but never had such a drop of data. Any suggestions.

2 REPLIES 2
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Yes, this could be the reason.  Depending on the service, streaming can use upwards of 3GB or more per hour.  However, it could also have been a combination of things, including the Dish receiver using data on it's own for something else.  Though DirecTV receivers tend to be the ones that are most notorious for "extra" data usage, connecting a satellite TV receiver to HughesNet is generally frowned upon due to the fact that there's no way to control how much data is used, including data that the receiver may use on its own.  

There are programs for devices that monitor the data usage of the device, including Glasswire for both Windows computers and Android devices.  There are various programs for Apple devices as well.  With the Dish receiver, however, about the only option to monitor data with that would be a 3rd party router that has the ability to monitor data usage by device.

Liz

Good morning GTMotel07, 

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. Gabe's suggestions are a good step to figuring out your unidentified data usage and keeping track moving forward. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!