Just a statement, or observation about the data on Gen 5. I had 50g on Gen 4 and never got close to going over. Now on my 2nd month of Gen 5 with 30G I went over with 18 days left. Now I'm down to 2mb speed internet again.
I do a lot of streaming, but didn't do any more than when I was on Gen 4.
Maybe with a higher speed there's more data being transferred, but it seems a bit odd to me.
We had 10G per month with gen 4 and never got close.. but still upped to 50g because we have a tween with a chrome book that is used for school - we were worried that she would need it. When we switched to gen 5 and went down to 20g.. *(because we still didnt use 10 over 3 or 4 months of watching our usage) .. we started to hit our limit at 20-ish days .. this month we have used 5 gig in 7 days.. the chromebook has gone back to school, there are no other devices in our home, we have 1 computer and 2 phones . Both phones are sent NOT to update unless we do it manually - and we always do it around 4am.. can someone tell me HOW we are going through this much data ?? we dont watch movies, stream videos from youtube or anywhere else. We dont online game. I play candy crush.. 5 g of candy crush.. um NO. something is fishy.
I agree with this.. we have this same issue.. need it fixed NOW..
Just what is it that you ..... "need fixed NOW" ?
The fact is that software and settings running on YOUR networked devices are consuming YOUR data. It is YOUR responsability maintain YOUR network.
What steps have you taken thus far?
Here is link to a Community topic as a first step to address the issue:
Here is a link to a Community topic related to Data Management:
Here is a link to a recent topic of mine that can provide you with some methods to document suspected data loss:
NOW, following the above posted info will likely be more effective than posting a single one line demand/rant type of post.
seems like several on here with the same issue. When switching from Gen 4 to Gen 5, data goes a lot quicker. A new start-up on Gen 5 wouldn't know any better.
I didn't have any other hardware enhancements done, just switched. No new computer, no auto updates added, no hacker moved in next door (I'm in the boonies), etc.
There's posts on trying to troubleshoot it which I appreciate if I had the time I'd read them all and try to digest it, but it looks like something that Hughesnet needs to look into in my opinion since it keeps happening
Although my data usage seems to be higher with Gen5, as well, it's not to the extent of some people. I've been checking my data against Glasswire, but the difference there may just be in the way Glasswire measures data, and as another person noted, the only real way that I could measure it for sure is with a router capable of doing such, which I don't own.
I have a feeling that that the increased data tally may have something to do with a different type of compression technology used by the Smart Technology that Hughesnet uses. This is just a guess.
If I do something that, without any compresson, would tally as 100MB, but with Gen5 it's tallying 85MB instead of Gen4's 75MB, I'm still good with it.
This is just me and my experience, though. I have a running test going on with Glasswire and Hughesnet, comparing them on a weekly basis, but, again, Glasswire isn't necessarily completely accurate, and not as accurate as the aforementioned router would be.
While you have held my previous replies to you in .... contempt or ... distain, I say to you that the Internet in general and updates for both OS's and drivers are in a constant state of change.
Note here that I have Gen4.
I too had some usage claimed that I thought was in excess:
Engineers work with facts and data.
I suggest that you back your claim with something they can work with.
While I understand I am novice at data tracking....My data is going faster as well with the Gen5 upgrade. I was on the 10 GB plan and was finding ways to use it up each month. Now I am on the 20 GB plan and am looking at ways to conserve data. Just don't make sense to me with the same habits. I have glasswire recently installed and will have to take a look at it next month.
Just wanted to chime in that I'm having the same issues. Going from the Gen4 10gb plan and able to stay within it to the Gen5 20gb plan and seeing data usage of about 650mb/day vs 300mb/day. Nothing has changed as far as my browsing habits. Haven't even had a chance to use Amazon Prime Video yet because of it.