cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Data loss

milenders
Freshman

Data loss

Can someone help me that has more tech knowledge than I do?  My husband and I got new phones, IPhone 12.  Our data renewed on the 13th and today we have no data left.  We have our devices set to low data mode and we turn off all devices at night.  We are not connected to the internet on our TV.  We don't view very many YouTube videos and we have the unlimited plan.  I am at a loss as to why this is happening.  Help!!!!

18 REPLIES 18
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Data loss

Your phones may have done updates behind the scenes. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@milenders 

Though I don't have iPhones, check your iCloud settings if the phones are using your HughesNet via WiFi.  Cloud connections can plow through data like crazy if they're wide open.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
milenders
Freshman

I have had an iPhone forever.  I know what uses up the data & have turned off things like backups, updates, etc.  this is just not making sense to me....  I haven't had trouble until last month..the only thing different is a new phone.  I am stumped πŸ€” 

maratsade

That's why I think it's the new phones, since nothing else has changed. I'd suggest Glasswire, but there isn't an iOS version.  

milenders wrote:

I have had an iPhone forever.  I know what uses up the data & have turned off things like backups, updates, etc.  this is just not making sense to me....  I haven't had trouble until last month..the only thing different is a new phone.  I am stumped πŸ€” 

milenders
Freshman

What is glass wire?

maratsade

It's a free personal firewall and network monitor:  https://www.glasswire.com/

Michael57
Senior

And depending on how you migrated to your new phone, the intial setup can use a fair bit of data and in your case it could have happened twice.  If that's the case, at least it shouldn't happen again next month.

milenders
Freshman

Well it was set up in the Verizon store.  But that was done November 13.  Why would it happen again this month?  Maybe Tech Support can help....

maratsade

This is something you will have to figure out yourself, as it's not a problem with the service. 

EDIT: try unplugging the modem at night. That way there will be no way for anything to use any data.