Data loss

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
milenders
Freshman

Data loss

Can someone help me that has more tech knowledge than I do?  My husband and I got new phones, IPhone 12.  Our data renewed on the 13th and today we have no data left.  We have our devices set to low data mode and we turn off all devices at night.  We are not connected to the internet on our TV.  We don't view very many YouTube videos and we have the unlimited plan.  I am at a loss as to why this is happening.  Help!!!!

18 REPLIES 18
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Your phones may have done updates behind the scenes. 

GabeU

@milenders 

Though I don't have iPhones, check your iCloud settings if the phones are using your HughesNet via WiFi.  Cloud connections can plow through data like crazy if they're wide open.

I have had an iPhone forever.  I know what uses up the data & have turned off things like backups, updates, etc.  this is just not making sense to me....  I haven't had trouble until last month..the only thing different is a new phone.  I am stumped 🤔 

maratsade

That's why I think it's the new phones, since nothing else has changed. I'd suggest Glasswire, but there isn't an iOS version.  

milenders wrote:

I have had an iPhone forever.  I know what uses up the data & have turned off things like backups, updates, etc.  this is just not making sense to me....  I haven't had trouble until last month..the only thing different is a new phone.  I am stumped 🤔 

What is glass wire?

maratsade

It's a free personal firewall and network monitor:  https://www.glasswire.com/

And depending on how you migrated to your new phone, the intial setup can use a fair bit of data and in your case it could have happened twice.  If that's the case, at least it shouldn't happen again next month.

Well it was set up in the Verizon store.  But that was done November 13.  Why would it happen again this month?  Maybe Tech Support can help....

maratsade

This is something you will have to figure out yourself, as it's not a problem with the service. 

EDIT: try unplugging the modem at night. That way there will be no way for anything to use any data. 

That would make sense, however, the bonus data is not being used.

maratsade

Yep, it's a stumper all right. Tech support will likely not be able to help you as something connected to  your network is eating the data (the HN modem doesn't use data to update itself; only your connected devices use your data).  You need to figure out what it is. 

You could get a router that includes the ability to show what's using data on your entire network. For  individual devices other than iOS, there is software that can do the same for devices on the network (such as the aforementioned Glasswire).   

Do you have any smart appliances or devices? (Refrigerators, Alexa, Echo, TVs, etc.) . 

EDIT: Do you know how to check what's connected?

maratsade

Not sure if any of these might help, but check this out: https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/mobile-apps-to-monitor-data-usage-smartphone/

I went from 14GB of data to ZERO overnight when I neglegted to turn off my iPad when returning from my daddy's where I used the iPad exclusively.  and YET, today the Saturday before Christmas I am able to STREAM MOVIES without interruptions!!! NEVER was i able to do that with full data!! so Data, no data? makes no sense!! except the FedEx planes are not running as hard this am. (I live in the Memphis flight path about a mile south of the airport)

So strange!!  I don't get why that happens, but now I am being throttled......we shut off all devices at night.  If it were happening at night than I would expect my bonus data to be draining as well...And we don't stream anything!!!

maratsade

That's certainly something to investigate. Hopefully you'll install something that measures what's  using the data. 

@milenders wrote:

So strange!!  I don't get why that happens, but now I am being throttled......we shut off all devices at night.  If it were happening at night than I would expect my bonus data to be draining as well...And we don't stream anything!!!

oh, I have the HN meter and earlier in the day it showed 14gb, so i streamed "CBS Sunday Morning" an hour and half. the next morning, I had ZERO!! and the Modem was dancing like crazy!! it had to have been the iPad that I only use for solitare and facebook, but that was LOCKED (not off, which it is now) but the unusual part is that i am streaming BETTER now than before!

I've only been in FAP a couple of times, so it's anecdotal, but I also get overall better performance in FAP than not, for everything that isn't a speed test.  I've actually considered reducing my plan to the lowest size to take better advantage of it. 

It's not too weird, since multiple layers of prioritzation rules can easily cause this type of behavior, but it's going to be situational, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on reducing my plan, yet.

maratsade

That's definitely weird, but enjoy it while it's happening! (Ditto the fewer planes).

haileyrd wrote:

I went from 14GB of data to ZERO overnight when I neglegted to turn off my iPad when returning from my daddy's where I used the iPad exclusively.  and YET, today the Saturday before Christmas I am able to STREAM MOVIES without interruptions!!! NEVER was i able to do that with full data!! so Data, no data? makes no sense!! except the FedEx planes are not running as hard this am. (I live in the Memphis flight path about a mile south of the airport)