cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data "leak" plugged! HA! - DHCP tunneling cell phone

Highlighted
Freshman

Data "leak" plugged! HA! - DHCP tunneling cell phone

Went over today and my suspected data leak recipient insists his phone turned WiFi on itself. He doesn't have the current password, and I never saw him log on. His phone said it had 3G. I applied MAC address filtering AND set the router to no longer broadcast SSID. His cell phone went from 3G to one bar of Edge, and kept dropping service.

One percent more of my data was used today, in part from speed testing and the little internet here and there used by my tablet and laptop. This is what I would expect to see from my first month's experience: little trickles of data for basic internet use, large chunks if uploading pictures, streaming video, etc.
14 REPLIES 14
Assistant Professor

Re: Data "leak" plugged! HA! - DHCP tunneling cell phone

Wow! My two old Android smartphones have never done anything like this, especially turn WiFi on by themselves. Plus even with it WiFi turned on they don't use data unless I choose to download something or use the browser.
Associate Professor

Only way this would have been possible is if there is a microcell for his carrier hooked upto the network...  3G networks, and cellular alone don't use the 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz bands that routers are capable of using.

Now, I will say this, just because wifi is off, doesn't mean his phone isn't actively probing your network.  Many android devices will turn the wifi radio on and probe for wifi networks in the background.
Assistant Professor

My wife and I's phones are on here all the time, never noticed any data usage that wasn't prompted by us in some way. Not saying it isn't possible, just that I've never experienced it.

Oh, and she has a Nexus Android tablet, never experienced it doing anything behind the scenes. I have all updates set to manual, nothing automatic. I never turns the WiFi on by itself that I can tell. No mysterious usage there either.

Yes, if I set updates to automatic and turn the WiFi on it will start probing and downloading. Guess I never turned WiFi off and left updates to automatic to see if it would turn itself on though.
Associate Professor

If you have Android 4.4.1 or later, the OS will show the Wifi radio as OFF, but has a setting that tells the radio to power on, probe networks, and then turn back off.  It's rather annoying.
Assistant Professor

Hmm, my wife's Nexus 7 has 4.4.4 and never seen that. Maybe such minuscule usage I never noticed. My router also reports usage by device and never saw the tablet show usage when the WiFi was turned off. Or more likely not all devices are created equal.  Smiley Happy
Associate Professor

Assistant Professor

I guess my point then is that in that particular case the usage would not be noticeable really. Don't mean to beat the dead horse here. I was only saying things automatically turning their WiFi on and using large amounts of data is news to me, has never happened with my devices.
Freshman

He has a history of lying. He could have had WiFi enabled on his phone and figured I wouldn't confront him about the fact he has been told repeatedly to keep WiFi off. I am a little surprised it could borrow sigbal without being logged in. I had expected changing passwords to be enough, but seeing my husband's cell phone as a client after changing passwords made me suspicious

It fascinated me to see his phone showing 3G before I banned its MAC address, then drop to mostly no service (which is what I expected it to have given our location)..
Associate Professor

Lisa J, a TON of routers these days have an option for a "Guest Network", usually you have to enable it, but, some routers have it turned on with out a password.  You may want to see if your router has that functionality built into it.