cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data speed and limits

Data speed and limits

I'm new to Hughesnet and trying to make a decision about switching from AT&T dsl to HN. The sales guy won't tell me what a realistic slowdown speed is, but the site says 150kbs. He said that with Smart browsing we won't see a real difference.

The problem is that we stream all of our TV so if it's going to be cut back that far then HN will be a no go. Even on the Ultra we will blow through our data limits. Any suggestions?
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted

Re: Data speed and limits

Care to expand just a little????

Just a teeny hint, help us out here.

YES, there is speed and there are limits.... is that what you want to know?

I updated it. Sorry, I thought there would be abothered screen before it posted.
Assistant Professor

You really can't use capped satellite service as your sole source for streaming TV and movies, not even the highest plan. You can't get any over the air television where you're located?

Yes, we can get it but we don't want it. We prefer to stream our TV we just want to go to a faster service. If HN isn't going to work then I'm glad I found out now.

BTW, even DSL is capped now so if you exceed their data plans you pay pretty good fee.
Assistant Professor

Well, you can plug in amounts here and get an idea how much you'll use: http://www.cableone.net/Docs/datacalculator.html

How much (hours) and in what definition makes a big difference.

I already know that my usage will eclipse the data limits. It sounds like I just won't be able to get HN. I could handle it cutting the speeds back to say, 50%, but not to dial up speeds when we stream all of our TV.

RUN FROM HUGHESNET. RUN FAST AND DON'T LOOK BACK.
Freshman

Dont.switch.
Assistant Professor

Yea, definitely not going to work with that amount of streaming. The are WISP and EVDO providers you could check into.