Hughesnet Community

Data speed and limits

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HotHead

Data speed and limits

I'm new to Hughesnet and trying to make a decision about switching from AT&T dsl to HN. The sales guy won't tell me what a realistic slowdown speed is, but the site says 150kbs. He said that with Smart browsing we won't see a real difference.

The problem is that we stream all of our TV so if it's going to be cut back that far then HN will be a no go. Even on the Ultra we will blow through our data limits. Any suggestions?
16 REPLIES 16
Mordacious

Care to expand just a little????

Just a teeny hint, help us out here.

YES, there is speed and there are limits.... is that what you want to know?
HotHead

I updated it. Sorry, I thought there would be abothered screen before it posted.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You really can't use capped satellite service as your sole source for streaming TV and movies, not even the highest plan. You can't get any over the air television where you're located?
HotHead

Yes, we can get it but we don't want it. We prefer to stream our TV we just want to go to a faster service. If HN isn't going to work then I'm glad I found out now.

BTW, even DSL is capped now so if you exceed their data plans you pay pretty good fee.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, you can plug in amounts here and get an idea how much you'll use: http://www.cableone.net/Docs/datacalculator.html

How much (hours) and in what definition makes a big difference.
HotHead

I already know that my usage will eclipse the data limits. It sounds like I just won't be able to get HN. I could handle it cutting the speeds back to say, 50%, but not to dial up speeds when we stream all of our TV.
hollydg

RUN FROM HUGHESNET. RUN FAST AND DON'T LOOK BACK.
deepdiver1
Sophomore

Dont.switch.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, definitely not going to work with that amount of streaming. The are WISP and EVDO providers you could check into.
Chris11
Alum

Hello,

I hope everyone's responses were able to help you. If you have anymore questions feel free to let us know.

Thanks,
Chris
HotHead

Everyone was able to help me decide against HughesNet, but your dishonest sales reps are the ones that solidified the decision to not only never use your service but to also make sure that I warn everyone I know to avoid your service as well.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

So you never used the service but are going to warn everyone to avoid it? The amount of streaming you're wanting to do even some cable internet providers now have limits on now.

The internet in the US at this time is not meant to be a full time, sole source for streaming TV and movies. Why there is also satellite television, and free over the air antenna, which you said you won't use. That is your choice but to blame HughesNet because you can't stream whatever, whenever and as much as you want is blaming the wrong people.

As far as the sales people, well they're sales people. Why I never purchase anything anymore based only on what a salesperson says.
HotHead

Your serious stance is that the internet isn't made for streaming services, despite the growing number of streaming TV services?  Do you understand how ignorant that statement is when you have every company in the market fighting for market shares of streaming TV? You have heard of services like Netflix, Hulu, ROKU, AppleTV, Amazon FireStick, Google Chromecast, and a handful more, right?

To be clear though, I won't use HN because of the customer service, though knowing now that it would never support my usage made it even easier.  I will warn everyone I know about the deceptive sales practices.  I managed salespeople for years and never once allowed a salesperson to get away with lying to customers.  

"They're sales people" is a BS line and from what I can tell, I'm not the only person they've lied to.  That's why I will warn everyone to stay away  If they want dial up limitations and bad service then they will at least have the information to make that poor decision on their own.

Good Day Champion...
HotHead

In case you missed the actual meat of the comment...

"but your dishonest sales reps are the ones that solidified the decision to not only never use your service but to also make sure that I warn everyone I know to avoid your service as well."
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

HotHead,

The point you are missing is that a satellite connection is a connection type of last resort. It is intended for people that have no other high speed options.

Satellite can not, does not compare to ground based ISP's
Ground based ISP's can add capacity to their systems if the demand is there, not so for a satellite ISP.

The satellites themselves are in geo-sync orbit .. once designed, built and launched they can not be repaired, they can not have their capacity increased.
It (the satellite) is a machine .. and as such it is only capable do performing just so much "work" at a given instant.
The ground facilitates known as Gateways that handle the uplink/downlink traffic also have their own capacity limits.

As to salesmen ...... never make a decision based on a single point of reference regardless of product or service.
Every consumer has to perform due diligence to ensure the product or service meets their needs.

Satellite serves a niche market.

Chris11
Alum

HotHead,

I concur with Gwalk. However since we've answered your questions and you've made a decision I will go ahead and close this thread. I hope everything goes well with the ISP you do chose to subscribe with.

Thank you,
Chris