Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage dissapearing.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Re: Data usage dissapearing.

Hi Euni,

Al web browsers have a function called "favorites". Favorites is a "place" that the browser has that saves a list of websites that you want to return to by clicking on a named link that you have saved into the browsers favorites list. In that manner you don not have to type in the address of the website you wish to visit.

I'm on a old Windows XP machine at the moment which is the "same but different" from Win7 that you have but the screenshots I have will be close enough for you to get the idea. If you can stuck just post back.

I said above that you can save a "list" of places. You access that list in different ways depending on a number of setting you choose in the broswer. You seen to be using IE11 (that is the standard default browser for Win7)

Here is what my list looks like in my old XP machine. The list is built up over time:

The easiest way to access the Favorites List is from the FAVORITES tab in the MENU BAR.The MENU BAR in Win7 is at the very top of the browsers it consists of a line of words:

FILE  EDIT  VIEW FAVORITES TOOLS HELP

If those words already appear at the very top of you browser we are all set'

If those words are not visible we have to make them so.

Here is how we do that: Move your mouse to the very top band of the browser and RIGHT CLICK your mouse:

A pop up dialog box will open. Click the area where the check mark is next to LOCK THE TOOL BARS this will remove the check mark if it is there allowing you to make changes.
Once unlocked place a check mark in the area just to the left of MENU BAR (this will enable the FILE EDIT VIEW FAVORITES TOOLS HELP line of options to appear at the top of IE11

After doing so place, the check mark back in the area to lock the tool bar.

Once that is done the Menu Bar options should be visible at the very top of you browser.

If you then go to a website such as:

http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount

While there click on the FAVORITES button on the top:

Move you mouse down to the option ADD TO FAVORITES and click

That will open up a box that will allow you to name that website anything you wish to call it and that name will be added to your personalized list:

After naming it click the ADD button to effect the change.

Anytime thereafter you wish to visit that site just op the browser or open a new tab, click the word FAVORITES in the top menu bar and select the saved site from your list.

As to data amounts and service plan limits I can feel your pain. I was a HN7000s system for years. In my location they finally did launch Echostar17 that had much greater plan and speed offerings.

Hughes last month launched a new satellite. It is still going though final testing for not only the satellite but also the Gateways that serve as uplink/downlink ground side facilities.
Hughes has yet to announce coverage areas and plan offerings but I'd bet my life on the present Spaceway3/ HN9000 users being in for a drastic increase in speeds, data plans and just general reliability improvements.

You mentioned the chance of wireless service and that is good. Just be careful of the terms. As it is now if you max out with Hughes you get throttled and money spent for additional data in the form of tokens is  .... optional. Some plans .. cellular based for example add extra cost data automatically without your knowledge, until the monthly bill arrives so do read and understand carefully the costs and limits.

I know the above is a bunch to swallow at one time. If you are unsure of something or have any questions please feel free to post them.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Shoot, I missed it .....
After you have things listed in your favorites ..... you wanted to set  http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount as your homepage!

From the Menu Bar, click TOOLS, select INTERNET OPTIONS:

That will open up this:

Enter the site you wish where my blue MSN is or ..... if you ar open to the page you want to use click "use current" and then click OK as needed in the bottom to "set" the change.
Euni
New Poster

Got it !!! Thanks again. The "Favorites" I do use that.  Started to print  instructions, ran out of ink. LOL.... got to go to the "big town" 30 mile round trip, to get some, will have to wait til tomorrow.  Football today. LOL. Thanks again.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Ink prices can leave mark. Its nearly cheaper to buy a new printer with full cartridges!

You can set your "home page" to a blank page thereby reducing unneeded usage whenever you open a browser. From there you can just select "destination" pages from your list of save favorites.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Ink prices can leave mark.
This is why I finally bought an inexpensive monotone laser printer.  I don't print anything that requires color, so in the end it is much cheaper this way.  Over 2000 sheets for about $40 per toner cartridge.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Euni
New Poster

Yes Ink is pricey, but it lasts me a long time.  Tried to set home page to HN email, forget that, so I put ebay on, that works, tried to put HN email in favorites, did not work either,  getting to my email always  takes about 3 tries before I can get it.   How do I get a "blank" page ?  sure would like that and than select from Favorites. I'll keep working at it. Thanks !
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Setting your HN email page as a favorite can be tricky.  Not setting it as a favorite, but actually getting it to work properly.  I have my HN email as a favorite in both Chrome and Internet Explorer, but when I use that shortcut, it takes me to the Hughesnet home page...every time.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Ditto, Gabe. If color printing is not needed, the regular printers are a better value.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

To set your home page to a blank page do the following:

Open Internet Explorer, from the Menu Bar click TOOLS, select INTERNET OPTIONS

place your mouse at the end of your present home page and click the backspace button the clear the field

in the box, enter the following:

about:blank

Note the colon between the two words

Click the APPLY button

Click OK to exit the dialog box

Euni
New Poster

yes, found that out.