Data usage dissapearing.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Euni
New Poster

Data usage dissapearing.

Hi , have not been on here to much, no need as all was going well until  a few  weeks  ago,  around Christmas time. Data disappearing again. Checked with  "Glasswire"  Now can someone tell me  what is   Explorer.exe  ?   C:\windows\syswow64\explorer.exe. That is how it is showing on Glasswire as the the first item using data. How do I delete it? where do I find it ? Counting on  you Gwalk,  or Birddog, hope you can help. I have a new computer since June of last year, windows 7 , if you remember, just the basics, no router or other items, get 500MB daily, used up in about I hr just looking at FB, ebay, newspaper. No gaming, no movies, no Netflix etc.
48 REPLIES 48
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Shoot, I missed it .....
After you have things listed in your favorites ..... you wanted to set  http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount as your homepage!

From the Menu Bar, click TOOLS, select INTERNET OPTIONS:

That will open up this:

Enter the site you wish where my blue MSN is or ..... if you ar open to the page you want to use click "use current" and then click OK as needed in the bottom to "set" the change.
Euni
New Poster

Got it !!! Thanks again. The "Favorites" I do use that.  Started to print  instructions, ran out of ink. LOL.... got to go to the "big town" 30 mile round trip, to get some, will have to wait til tomorrow.  Football today. LOL. Thanks again.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Ink prices can leave mark. Its nearly cheaper to buy a new printer with full cartridges!

You can set your "home page" to a blank page thereby reducing unneeded usage whenever you open a browser. From there you can just select "destination" pages from your list of save favorites.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Ink prices can leave mark.
This is why I finally bought an inexpensive monotone laser printer.  I don't print anything that requires color, so in the end it is much cheaper this way.  Over 2000 sheets for about $40 per toner cartridge.  
Euni
New Poster

Yes Ink is pricey, but it lasts me a long time.  Tried to set home page to HN email, forget that, so I put ebay on, that works, tried to put HN email in favorites, did not work either,  getting to my email always  takes about 3 tries before I can get it.   How do I get a "blank" page ?  sure would like that and than select from Favorites. I'll keep working at it. Thanks !
GabeU

Setting your HN email page as a favorite can be tricky.  Not setting it as a favorite, but actually getting it to work properly.  I have my HN email as a favorite in both Chrome and Internet Explorer, but when I use that shortcut, it takes me to the Hughesnet home page...every time.  
maratsade

Ditto, Gabe. If color printing is not needed, the regular printers are a better value.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

To set your home page to a blank page do the following:

Open Internet Explorer, from the Menu Bar click TOOLS, select INTERNET OPTIONS

place your mouse at the end of your present home page and click the backspace button the clear the field

in the box, enter the following:

about:blank

Note the colon between the two words

Click the APPLY button

Click OK to exit the dialog box

Euni
New Poster

yes, found that out.

Euni
New Poster

I don't print that much, sometimes a crochet/craft pattern, I like the color, have the small cartridges now, they last me almost 6-9 month, that's ok for me.  If I could do more on my PC  I most likely  would use your suggestion. I just don't trust HN, not reliable in my area. 
Euni
New Poster

wohooooo !!! Got it. Gwalk, I now have a blank page when signing on, have HN email in my favorites or I use the link you provided. Not to bad for my little brain. Thank you !!!!!!! ♥
Euni
New Poster

I think my blood pressure just went down a bid...lol
GabeU

I originally got my laser printer to print a lot as I was doing my mother's medical transcriptions for her.  Now, it's the complete opposite, as I print so little that the cartridges would dry out before I ended up printing more than just a few pages over time. 

I do sometimes wish I could print in color, as there is an occasional picture of family or something that I would like to print, but because of my lack of printing enough, it's not worth it for me. 

My folks are now running into the same problem I would, where they don't print often enough and the cartridges just dry up.  At the rate they are going they are probably paying about five dollars per page.  I think they printed out three pictures when they lasts got some new cartridges, which was about a year ago, and they are dried up again. 

It's too bad that the cartridge makers don't make some type of air tight container or receptacle to save cartridges from drying up from non use.  Of course, if they did that, they wouldn't sell nearly as many, so I suppose it's not to their advantage to do so.  Maybe we'll try a couple of Ziploc pint size freezer bags and see how that works in keeping them fresh next time.  Color laser printers are just too expensive for those who don't print every day.        

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

GabeU, if you have a laser printer, the "ink" never "dries out"... It's actually already dry, more like a powder (toner)... But what does happen is moisture gets into it and causes it to cake up.  The best thing to do with laser printer toner if you don't print often (and I mean less than one page a month often) is to buy a large container to place each toner cartridge in, along with a large bag of silica gel.  This will help reduce moisture and keep toner dry enough for use later on.

https://www.amazon.com/Silica-Desiccant-Dry-Packs-Prevent-Corrosion/dp/B004N6JQFW/ref=pd_sim_201_3?_...

Just, make SURE it's a laser printer, and that it's using toner!  The easiest way to tell is by looking and seeing if there's black powdery residue everywhere... BTW, be careful if it's toner!  Makes one heck of a mess if you spill the stuff!
GabeU

I think maybe there's a little confusion.  I have a laser printer for precisely that reason, because it doesn't dry out.  I'm very aware of what toner is, what it's made of, and how to "care" for it so it doesn't become cakey and no longer work.  I store the printer in one of those large, multi gallon size Ziploc bags to keep moisture from affecting it.  I don't use it often enough to keep it out and connected.  I use it maybe once very month or two.    

Drying out was regarding my folks' printer, which is an inkjet printer.  I am trying to figure out a way to keep their cartridges from drying out before they are actually used enough.  They print three or four things, then go later on to print something else and they are dried out. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Oh, sorry, been a long day, guess I misread your post. xD
"I originally got my laser printer to print a lot as I was doing my mother's medical transcriptions for her.  Now, it's the complete opposite, as I print so little that the cartridges would dry out before I ended up printing more than just a few pages over time."

Easiest way to deal with inkjet style cartridges is to take a towel and wipe excess ink off around the metal nozzles on the bottom, then put a low-tack clear plastic tape over the metal nozle on the bottom, then throw it into a ziploc baggie.  This will help keep ink in the nozzle from drying out, and the baggie is a second line of defense. 
GabeU

Ah.  I can see how that statement could be misread.  It's all good.  🙂

I thought about doing that with the cartridges, but I didn't know if it would damage the head.  That's the way they come when they are new, of course, but I didn't know if regular scotch tape would be too sticky.  Then again, what would we have had to lose if we tried doing it with that?  LOL. 

Will the tape say something on it to allude to it being low-tack?  Do you know where I can get tape like this?  It would certainly be cheaper than replacing the cartridges once or twice a year. 

All I have right now is regular scotch tape left over from Christmas wrapping and regular box sealing tape in a tape gun.  Both of those would probably be too sticky, right? 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Honestly, I have always used the clear scotch tape that you use for Christmas gifts, just make sure it's wide enough to cover the entire nozzle 🙂

They make lower-tack ones that specifically say "Ultra Low Tack" but it's hard to come by unless you are at something like an Office Depot, even then you may not find any as it's not something people usually need/want.
GabeU

Ah.  Okay.  I'll give the scotch tape a try.  I appreciate the help.  I'm sure they will, too.  
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Brother inkjet here, bought refillable ink cartridges for it. Work great and cheap refills for 2 years now. Bulk ink working fine for refill and also a jet cleaner solution if a nozzle does clog.
GabeU

My laser printer is a Brother.  An HL2040.  It was inexpensive and it's worked great.  I can get replacement toner cartridges for less than $40 and they are as good as the Brother branded ones. 

Edit:  Actually, I just checked and they are around $20 now.  Woo hoo!  LOL.