Data usage dissapearing.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Euni
New Poster

Data usage dissapearing.

Hi , have not been on here to much, no need as all was going well until  a few  weeks  ago,  around Christmas time. Data disappearing again. Checked with  "Glasswire"  Now can someone tell me  what is   Explorer.exe  ?   C:\windows\syswow64\explorer.exe. That is how it is showing on Glasswire as the the first item using data. How do I delete it? where do I find it ? Counting on  you Gwalk,  or Birddog, hope you can help. I have a new computer since June of last year, windows 7 , if you remember, just the basics, no router or other items, get 500MB daily, used up in about I hr just looking at FB, ebay, newspaper. No gaming, no movies, no Netflix etc.
48 REPLIES 48
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I use an older HP OfficeJet, thankfully it's one of the last ones that doesn't check to make sure it has "Genuine HP Cartridges", and doesn't care if the ink level suddenly goes up 🙂

Newer printers, even Brother brand ones will stop working entirely should a cart say it's low, or should you refill it, or even if you use an off-brand cart.  It's sad the way they have gotten with ink...  Then again, they have always sold printers, even laser ones at a loss, so they could recover money in ink sales.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Absolutely!  In a lot of cases it's darn near cheaper to buy an entirely new printer than the ink cartridges.  I see basic, name brand printers at my local Rite Aid for $30 all the time.  It's ludicrous. 

Back when I did have an inkjet printer I used to refill the black cartridge myself, too.  It could be  messy, but was certainly cheaper, and in most cases it worked very well. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Love it! Copy and scan also. Yep, 6 years old.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Now THAT'S fancy...

@GabeU, in the case of HP and Epson, they ship printers with "starter" ink cartridges, only enough ink for about 10-20 pages each, even says on the back of most boxes in small print that users should purchase ink when they buy the printer and includes the cartridge numbers...  I imagine Brother is going that way too.
GabeU

Nice.  And I bet Brother hates that you can refill it as cheaply as you can.  As noted, I can get an off brand toner cartridge for around $20, yet if I want their toner cartridge it would cost two and a half to three times as much.  It's ludicrous.  Granted, at least with theirs it's guaranteed, but I've never had a problem with refilling the ink when I had an inkjet, nor an off brand toner cartridge with what I have now, and I'm on my third.  
GabeU

Yep.  I remember that they were starter cartridges, and it was the same with my laser printer with it's starter toner cartridge, but I didn't realize that they had now gotten so small.  I remember when I last bought an inkjet the starter cartridges were about 60% of a standard one, and even less than the long lasting ones, but I didn't realize they had gotten so very small now, only printing 10-20 pages.  Perhaps they got sick of people buying new printers instead of ink.  

The starter for my laser printer was up to 1500 sheets, and the standard one is up to 2500 sheets.  I usually get about 2000 out of each standard one as I keep it about half way with the intensity (there's a counter built into the firmware for the drum).  If this thing lasts long enough that I end up having to get a drum for it (at 15,000 sheets), I'll just get a new printer.  It's not worth replacing the drum in a cheaper laser printer.  The drum nearly costs more than the printer did.   
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Look at it like you run the business, wouldn't you have to do something to keep making the most money you could to please your investors?  Easiest way to do that is to decrease the amount of ink with the printer, keep price on printer the same, and make the actual cartridges slightly smaller.  Todays XL cartridges are about the same size of cartridges I used to buy 15 years ago.

In the end, not much can be done, profits have to keep increasing otherwise investors wont be happy and you will go under at some point.  Sooner rather than later, I bet printers wont come with starter ink/toner.

If you wanna look at fancy printers, you should look at "Solid Ink" printers, similar to a normal laser printer, but the toner is a SOLID block that the printer shaves to get toner.  When I was in school we had one of the first Xerox printers to use Solid Ink, costly thing, and finicky.  The Maintenance Cart (the piece that transfers the material from the block to paper) was about $250, and each "Ink Block" was another $300 or so.  Took about 3 years before they finally replaced the ink in it, and that was with daily printing from dozens of students.