Data usage goes like wildfire

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjwhite3676
New Poster

Data usage goes like wildfire

We were on Dish Internet service for a while and then went with another service.  I decided to go back to the Dish Network and they said that had all been turned over to Hughes Net.  We have been on Hughesnet for about 3 months and we still go through our data in about 15 days, even though we are on the 30GB plan.  We both have Cell Phones, but we have them turned off and are using Mobile Data.  I have disconnected the WIFI Camera and the Vivint Alarm System.  We got down to were all we had was our Dish for the TV.

I have ran the Leakage Test a couple of times with similar results.

The First Shot is prior to Disableing the WIFI.

IMG_1481.jpg

The Second Shot is immediately after Disabling the WIFI.

IMG_1482.jpg

And finally when I re-Enabled the WIFI, almost 9 hours later.

IMG_1483.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@jjwhite3676

A few things...

Firstly, you should either delete those pictures, or edit them, as they're showing your Account Number (your SAN (DSS....)), which you should never post in public.  

Secondly, when were those pictures taken?  The due date for your bill is showing as 2/19/2018, which is February.  The pictures need to be current.  Also, were they taken at the end of your first twenty days of data resets, as you're showing practicaly full data with only ten days left in the data cycle?

Thirdly, the modem isolation test should be performed with, and the pictures taken from, a LAN connected device.  This way you disable the WiFi from that LAN connected device, then take a snapshot of the Usage Meter, then disconnect the LAN cable and subsequently wait the required amount of time.   Then reconnect the LAN cable and take a snapshot of the Usage Meter.   

Also, is that satellite TV receiver connected to HughesNet?  Satellite TV receivers can use data for things other than On Demand viewing, and there's no way to control it.  

What devices do you have connected to and do you use with HughesNet?  

Lastly, regarding the pictures you have shown, the discrepency between the first and second pictures may very well be the meter catching up (lag).  

Thanks Gabe.  (All cleaned up)

We have the Satelite on Dish for the actual TV Viewing, but it is connected to Hughes as the internet provider.

The only things that SHOULD be connected are the Vivent Security System and our WIFI Security Camera.  However, I completely disconnected them for about a week, and we still saw our Data Usage going down 1G to 3G per day.  We have both disconnected our Mobile Devices and have them set up for Cellular at home.

So for the Modem Isolation Test, I'll do it again, and post the pictures again (WITHOUT SSN).

Thanks Again,

Danny

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@jjwhite3676

You should check the following page to make sure that nothing's connected to HughesNet that you aren't aware of.  

http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/conn_dev_info

If your Dish Network satellite TV receiver is, in fact, connected to your HughesNet internet service, this may very well be where your data is going, as those satellite TV receivers can draw a lot of data for things other than just on Demand viewing.  I'm not referring to bundling or anything like that, but rather your satellite TV receiver actually being connected to your HughesNet internet service, as in the satellite TV receiver using your HughesNet internet.  If your satellite TV receiver is connected to HughesNet, you should see it in that Connected Devices page I linked above, and if it is connected, you may want to seriously consider disconnecting it from HughesNet.  Normally, connecting a satellite TV receiver to HughesNet is advised against because of the amount of your HughesNet data the satellite TV receiver can use.