Hughesnet Community

Data usage

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dgjlovette

Data usage

Why is there no data usage showing from my refill date on 10/10/16? Is there another app like glasswire, my modem and wifi are connected to a desktop running windows xp.
69 REPLIES 69
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

That is a usage "history". You might take a peek at the "usage meter" at the modems SCC (192.168.0.1) and check you connection (the above meter has to update) and remaining data allowance.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

A bit off topic but would really suggest moving away from XP as there are no longer any security updates being published for it.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

As another has stated, you should seriously consider upgrading your OS or moving to another type.  XP was a great OS, no doubt one of the best ever released by Microsoft, but it's service cycle is over, and you may very well be open to attacks as we speak due to the OS no longer receiving security patches.  And it really doesn't matter if you no longer use it for anything that requires  your personal information, as the e-trail, so to speak, to your personal info is already there.  You're vulnerable.  Just a heads up. 
Amanda

Hi DG

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are asking about an alternative to GlassWire because they don't support XP 🙂 Like the others have mentioned, you should consider moving away from that OS. I'm actually super surprised the Status Meter works on it!

In any case, your question confuses me a little.. Did you want to see how much data you have used since the 10th or how much data you have left?

Can you check in http://supportcenter.myhughesnet.com and see if there is data usage showing for the 10th and later?  I noticed you don't have the 10th-13th listed in that picture, so that is a little odd. Let me know!

Thanks
Amanda
Old Labs

NetWorx is still supported on XP at last check... but in general agreement that it's time to move on from XP if possible.
dgjlovette

Hi Amanda. I do not have status meter on my XP desktop. I do not have the funds to replace right now. I got the screenshot from my laptop that runs windows 7. Every meter I check I can not see past my refill date of 10/10. I think it use to show my daily usage, now I can not see that. Sorry for the confusion. Is there a way to connect hughes net modem and dlink router to a laptop?
dgjlovette

Have needed to for a loong time. Plan to when money is right. Thanks for your help.
dgjlovette

Thanks for your help. Hope to replace very soon.
dgjlovette

Thanks for your help. Plan to move to new computer soon. Do you know of any money trees around, LOL. By the way I love labs, aweome dogs.
Amanda

Totally understandable dgj - operating systems are really expensive... There are free options out there, just so you know. I upgraded 2 XP computers in our lab to save the company some money and put Linux Mint on them - easy to install and use! 

But either way this is pretty weird. You have been using the service since the 10th I am guessing?

Sounds like you're already hooked up to the HughesNet service on your laptop if you can see the status meter.. do you mean connected it with a wire? Some laptops don't have the port now a days, I'd say check around the sides and back of the laptop for the port.

Amanda
dgjlovette

I will look into Linux Mint. I am not very good with computers, is it easy for not much computer experience? I have been using since the 10. I checked on 10th and data refilled. After a couple hours I was down to 20 percent. I was thinking of just disconnecting from desktop and using laptop. My laptop does have a port on the side. Thank you for your help.
GabeU

dgjlovette,

As Amanda has mentioned, Linux Mint is a great FREE OS.  There is also a free antivirus for it by Comodo (there are people who say you don't need an AV program with Linux, but I still like one).  Linux Mint is very similar to Windows, and there are two "flavors" that run very well on older, less powerful computers.  You can always just take a look and see what you think. 

I have a computer that I built in 2005 that has Linux Mint 17.3 MATE installed on it and it works perfectly.

Again, it's just an idea.  It's good that you have Windows 7 on your laptop so you are able to do more financially sensitive things that you wouldn't want to do on a vulnerable computer.   

GabeU

dgjlovette,

Installing it is fairly easy, and using it is a breeze.  There is a wealth of information on the Linux Mint site, and on many other sites on the web on how to install and use the OS, as well as updating things and such.  Also, which version and "flavor" would be best to use for your particular machine.  You basically download it and write it to a DVD or flash drive (older computers may not be able to boot with a flash drive) and install it from such.  Again, though, there is a lot of info on it on the site and around the web. 

If you can, I would use your Windows 7 laptop for now, especially, again, for anything more sensitive (paying bills and shopping and such).  Although Windows 7 is out of the mainstream support cycle, it's still receiving critical security updates, so that's good.   

dgjlovette

Thank you GabeU. My desktop is very old and slow, in fact I hardly use it for that reason. Will Linux still work on a old slow computer. I feel better with a virus scan also.
GabeU

Do you know what processor it has and how much memory?  I can't remember exactly how to find out on XP, but I think you probably right click on the My Computer desktop icon and click properties.  I think it will show you there what processor and how much memory you have.  

dgjlovette

GabeU, I am trying to power up my dinosaur now (might take awhile). I do know my processor is a AMD Athlon 64 if that helps any. I will get back to you on the memory.
GabeU

Actually, the Athlon 64 is the exact processor I have in the computer that I have Linux Mint installed on.  It has an Athlon 64 3500+ and 1GB of RAM.  I was wrong about the version I have installed, though.  It actually has 17.1 MATE (MATE is the "flavor") in 32bit, not 17.3. 
Old Labs

Nope, that's why I qualified the above with if possible - money's often one reason, and can think of a few others (which probably wouldn't apply to your case).   
dgjlovette

My processor is 3800+, 448 mb of ram. I'm not sure how to find out how much memory I have.
GabeU

Your computer probably has 512MB, and it's showing 448MB of RAM available.  According to the Linux Mint blog, 512MB is the minimum amount required, so it would probably work.  You would almost assuredly have to use the 32 bit version and not 64 bit, though.   

To be honest, though, I hope someone with more experience with Mint will chime in on this, as I don't want to steer you the wrong way, have you try it, and find out that it doesn't work.  Mine has 1GB of RAM, and although it says 512MB of RAM is enough, I would like others' opinions.  

The processor is definitely good enough, for sure.