Hughesnet Community

Data usage

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
123Betsy

Data usage

I've had problems with Hughes.Net for a long time.  Now all available data I have is gone within 3-4 days.  Tried to use trouble-shooting tips on Hughes website -- but come on, you have to be a tech genius to understand all that stuff.  It seems like with what we pay, we should be able to get better support -- specifically someone who will come inspect your satellite for any problems.  Instead, we get ZERO.  Just expensive monthly charges, with no help whatsoever. 

4 REPLIES 4
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@123Betsy 

Unless there's a genuine reason to send a tech they aren't going to do so, and data usage isn't a genuine reason.  Just because you're now using data more quickly than normal doesn't mean anything is wrong with the equipment.  However, if you insist on having a tech come to check the equipment they can likely do so, but you'd have to cover the cost, which I believe is $125.

Regarding data usage, there are a multitude of reasons it can increase.  Apps (in a variety of ways), a weak WiFi signal to a device(s), a DirecTV receiver updating (if one is connected to your HughesNet), an update failure loop for an app or program, Delivery Optimization in Windows, cloud apps (like OneDrive), etc.  

One of the best ways to monitor data usage is by installing a usage monitoring app or program on the device(s).  For Windows there is Glasswire, which monitors ever bit of data coming into or going out of the computer it's installed on.  It's free and it works very well.  There is also a version for Android devices, which is also free.  There are other apps/programs that work similarly, though I can't recommend any of them as I've never used them.  There are apps for Apple products that work similarly, but again, I've not used any of them.

I'd start with installing the data monitoring apps/programs.  I'd also go through and make sure to disable all unnecessary automatic updates on your devices.  If you have a satellite TV receiver connected to HughesNet I would disconnect it, especially if it's a DirecTV receiver, as they can chew through data even when you're not watching anything on demand.  I'd also install an ad blocker in your internet browser.  AdBlock Plus is a popular one.  If you have Windows 10 or Windows 11 I'd make sure that 'Delivery Optimization' is either Off or set to only devices on your network.  

Lastly, the reps may decide to run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment to ensure that nothing is amiss.  If they do so they may need some personal info from your in order to locate your account, but they'll ask for it to be sent via private message, for which they'll provide a link.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@123Betsy 

I just found out about this.  It may help.  

https://my.hughesnet.com/support/faq/898/

If a Windows computer or Android device is showing high data usage, I would definitely recommend downloading and installing the Glasswire program mentioned earlier.  It's a great tool for figuring out what is using the data, as in the program, app or operating system process on the computer.

Hope the info in the above link helps.  

fox12
Junior

One of the biggest data hogs on the internet is Facebook. It uses approx. 2 mb per minute just to look at posts. Much more if you watch videos or don't have Auto play turned off. You should have auto play turned off and popup blocker turned on for any website you visit that has video ads or videos. They use a lot of data even if you don't watch them.

Liz

Hi Betsy,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!