Hughesnet Community

Data usage

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dgjlovette

Data usage

Why is there no data usage showing from my refill date on 10/10/16? Is there another app like glasswire, my modem and wifi are connected to a desktop running windows xp.
69 REPLIES 69
dgjlovette

Would it help to uninstall some things to make room?
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Do you mean make room so Linux Mint can fit?  Though you can install Linux Mint on the same hard drive as Windows and use it in a double boot configuration, it wouldn't really be ideal in this situation as there would be no reason to keep the XP.  It's quite a process to do it that way, as well.  In this case, installing the Linux Mint would completely wipe out everything that's on the hard drive, including Windows XP, for its installation, so there would be no reason to make any room for it. 

Really, though, Linux Mint, or even Ubuntu (another Linux based OS), is your only option with your desktop.  It's too old to run any other Windows OS, even Windows 7, so your options are very limited, unfortunately.  The Linux Mint suggestion was really only so you could continue to use that computer if you wanted to, as continuing to use it with XP is not ideal.  Even if you don't do any sensitive things with it, if you used to, it will still have that information in it that can be hacked.  That's why it's not even really a good idea to use it for non sensitive things, at this point.   But, if you are looking to do something with today's Windows OS, being either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, it's down to saving for a new computer.  Or, depending on how old your laptop is, you may even be able to upgrade that to a new Windows OS at some point. 

dgjlovette

One last question. To download linux os, does it have to be done from my desktop since that is what I want to change? Or can I burn the dvd from my laptop then install on my desktop. I apologize for all the qusetions.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It is an ISO you can burn to a DVD: https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Be aware it is something like 1.5 GB in size.
dgjlovette

Thanks
Amanda

DVD is best if you have a blank one and ability to make it.. I didnt here so I made a "live usb" which worked the same. And you can make it from any computer to answer that question. As far as memory goes, 512 is really on the low side. Does your current Windows XP take time to "warm up" when you turn it on and when you use the computer do you end up having to wait for folders/pictures/videos to open or wait a long time between clicking stuff and it actually happening? I noticed this issue on the XP I moved to Mint but to be fair the XP was in really bad, beat up shape. Like it had been used to test everything under the sun for years haha

Let it be known though that our status meter doesn't work with Linux... like Gabe said we only recommend it because its more secure. Jezra, our residential linux guru, did develop a working and good lookin' status meter for linux though! 

My honest opinion is if you can avoid using the desktop and aren't 100% confident moving into a Linux OS yourself, just unplug it and use the laptop until Black Friday/Cyber Monday comes around. It will be cheaper and more beneficial to you if you purchase a "family-style" computer from Wal-Mart or Amazon than trying to upgrade hardware and software one by one.  
GabeU

No need to apologize for asking a question.  That's how we learn. 

You can download it to your laptop and burn it to the DVD.  Make sure that when you right click on the ISO (the file you downloaded), choose "Burn disc image".  It's important that the ISO be burned to the disk and not just copied. 

For your computer, I would go with 17.1 in Xfce, and in 32bit.  This is the leanest of the four flavors and will probably be the one that runs the best on your computer.  Plus, 17.1 is best for older computers.  Remember, though, once you install it, your Windows XP will be gone forever, though it's not really doing you any good right now, anyway.  LOL.  

GabeU

Jezra, our residential linux guru, did develop a working and good lookin' status meter for linux though! 
That's who it is...Jezra.  I was trying to remember who it was that was the Linux guru. 
GabeU

Jezra, our residential linux guru, did develop a working and good lookin' status meter for linux though! 
That's who it is...Jezra.  I was trying to remember who it was that was the Linux guru. 
GabeU

And like Amanda said, if you don't really need the desktop and aren't comfortable in doing the installation, you can just use your Windows 7 laptop and save up for new computer at a later date.  Those all in ones are getting pretty inexpensive nowadays. 
dgjlovette

Thank you everyone.
GabeU

You're very welcome.  Anytime. 
dgjlovette

Hi Amanda,

Just to let you know that My data meter still does not go past my refill date of 10/10/2016. I have checked all meters and all look the the same. Thanks for the info on Linux from you and GabeU. I installed it today on my desktop....very proud of myself. Now I just have to learn it. If you could let me know what to do about my data meter. I have no way of seeing what times my data disappeared on my refill date. Thanks again. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

dgjlovette, I feel your financial pain! I don't believe in credit, so I save up and pay cash for everything. Last January I bought an old fixer-upper mobile home (yes, for cash), and I'm learning as I go how ridiculously expensive everything connected with fixing up a house is! I really, really need a backup generator because we have frequent power outages in this neck of the woods, but it's not happening before January. Then there's the alternator that went out on the van the other day...

Anyway... KUDOS for installing Linux! My son is currently a computer science major at MIT, and it's the only OS he'll use on his own computers.

So are you saying that even on your laptop that has W7 you can't see the status meter past the 10th?

I'm wondering if dgjlovette can still get the free W10 download on the laptop, or is the free period over?
dgjlovette

Chewagirl my status meter is the same on the laptop and desktop. It doesn't go past my refill date of the 10th.
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Well in that case we can't blame it on XP, since it also isn't working on the laptop running W7. I assume you've checked it out with the desktop now running Linux? If so, we can safely say it's not an OS issue. I also assume you've used the staus meter in the past and it always worked correctly until the 10th?
dgjlovette

Yes, it has always worked before.
GabeU

dgjlovette,

I'm glad you were able to install it.  Sometimes doing something like that can be a little scary for someone that has never done it, but I'm glad that you were able to do so. 

As for the data, you could try Jezra's Linux meter that BirdDog mentioned.  I don't know if it will allow you to see the times of the data usage on your refill date, but if I remember it's a pretty decent meter. 

GabeU

Unfortunately, the free upgrade period for Windows 10 is over, but it was only valid for machines running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, so dgjlovette wouldn't have been able to take advantage of it, anyway. 

I hope the Linux Mint works well in place of a newer Windows OS.  It will probably run better on an older machine than Windows 10 would, too. 

dgjlovette

I tried to install the meter but I kept getting an error. Do you know if Jezra has an updated link?